Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BT launches 152Mbps and 314Mbps ultrafast fibre packages

rainman

Re: BT launches 152Mbps and 314Mbps ultrafast fibre packages

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding the principles of how House > Circuit > ISP backbone works. Sure they're using a BT circuit to get between house and ISP Tier 1-2 Backbone but after the BT Circuit has been traversed, it's in Zens infrastructure and they can control it how they want.
    I understand pretty well, having been responsible for a NOC at a network company providing managed services to MOD, government and financial institutions as just one of the roles I've performed in my 30 years as a consultant. Yes, they can use their own backhaul and peer with whoever they want, but that IP traffic has to get there first and you cannot avoid it going through Openreach in the first instance. I'm not disputing that they may manage traffic differently once (if) it's on the Zen network, but Zen don't own the whole end to end service so a big chunk of it is out of their control. The "principle" might be one thing, but in practice it's an ass dressed as a donkey - in essence the same thing.

The fact remains that Zen can't provide you any service at all without BT being involved at almost every step, from initial sales through to customer support - you might not have to talk to BT directly (and that's not a bad thing) but they will be in the background doing something related to your service should something need fixing or changing. So if that's a given, how does Zen improve on the product that it has to use to deliver it's own service?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    I understand pretty well, having been responsible for a NOC at a network company providing managed services to MOD, government and financial institutions as just one of the roles I've performed in my 30 years as a consultant. Yes, they can use their own backhaul and peer with whoever they want, but that IP traffic has to get there first and you cannot avoid it going through Openreach in the first instance. I'm not disputing that they may manage traffic differently once (if) it's on the Zen network, but Zen don't own the whole end to end service so a big chunk of it is out of their control.

The fact remains that Zen can't provide you any service at all without BT being involved at almost every step, from initial sales through to customer support - you might not have to talk to BT directly (and that's not a bad thing) but they will be in the background doing something related to your service should something need fixing or changing. So if that's a given, how does Zen improve on the product that it has to use to deliver it's own service?
    Because if BT mucks around with Zens custom and sale then Zen can poke BT for moneys. Yes, BT are involved from your home to the Zen Infrastructure but BT can't shape Zens leased line however they want, that is not the terms of Zens agreement.

You seem to think that BT have full control to whatever the hell they want whenever they want to whoever leases their lines. That is where you're wrong, the contractual agreements between the ISPs and OpenReach are pretty irontight, the only thing that OpenReach can do is apply contention rationing if the local DSLAMs are getting overloaded but otherwise they have to deliver that connection to Zen.

BT does not apply shaping at the DSLAM level, they apply shaping in their infrastructure.

rainman

Because if BT mucks around with Zens custom and sale then Zen can poke BT for moneys. Yes, BT are involved from your home to the Zen Infrastructure but BT can't shape Zens leased line however they want, that is not the terms of Zens agreement.

You seem to think that BT have full control to whatever the hell they want whenever they want to whoever leases their lines. That is where you're wrong, the contractual agreements between the ISPs and OpenReach are pretty irontight, the only thing that OpenReach can do is apply contention rationing if the local DSLAMs are getting overloaded but otherwise they have to deliver that connection to Zen.

BT does not apply shaping at the DSLAM level, they apply shaping in their infrastructure.
    Agreed, but first you're making an assumption that absolutely all traffic does end up on the Zen backhaul. Also, how do you know that this is even in their service agreement? And as a customer how would you ever know if one day Zen decided that they don't want to fund their own backhaul and just contract BT to deliver the whole lot? Plenty of Openreach resellers do just that. I'm pretty sure that Zen's service agreements with BT are unlikely to be reflected in the contract between Zen and it's customers, so to a customer Zen's only responsibility is to deliver the service that they've advertised and how they deliver it is a choice for them to make.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Agreed, but first you're making an assumption that absolutely all traffic does end up on the Zen backhaul. Also, how do you know that this is even in their service agreement? And as a customer how would you ever know if one day Zen decided that they don't want to fund their own backhaul and just contract BT to deliver the whole lot? Plenty of Openreach resellers do just that. I'm pretty sure that Zen's service agreements with BT are unlikely to be reflected in the contract between Zen and it's customers, so to a customer Zen's only responsibility is to deliver the service that they've advertised and how they deliver it is a choice for them to make.
    Because they would be in breach of advertising/trading standards....from their site:

It means exactly that – no limits on what you can download and no limits when it comes to speed. Unlike other providers, we don’t have a Fair Usage Policy or enforce Traffic Management – that means we don’t artificially slow down your connection to allow other users to access our network, which would in turn make your speeds slower. This means you can enjoy your unlimited download allowance at the fastest speed your connection can support, at any given time – no matter what type of media, service of application you’re trying to access.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

You are right that I am on Openreach for the last mile. BT can and indeed have messed that up, I think that was when I was on Eclipse but the same applies still. However, IME any packet messing happens in the ISP network not in the BT exchange. I have yet to see any evidence of packet shenanigans, and from being with Eclipse (who mildly traffic shaped but with full disclosure) I am pretty sure I could spot it if it happened.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Zen don't contact BT, they contact Openreach who are the network operators. Zen may lease their backhaul from Openreach (or any other entity that owns infrastructure).

Openreach might be part of the BT group, but they are a separate company and not a retail ISP. BT Retail, who are an ISP like Zen, have the same commercial relationship with Openreach as Zen.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

and here i sit in kent getting a stinking 4 meg. not much fun when my daughter starts watching you tube.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Snaga View Post
    and here i sit in kent getting a stinking 4 meg. not much fun when my daughter starts watching you tube.
    I have 80meg but it still isn't much fun when my daughter watches YouTube. Some of the dross on there is beyond words.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I have 80meg but it still isn't much fun when my daughter watches YouTube. Some of the dross on there is beyond words.
    I instinctively laughed because of how Youtube is evolving, (or devolving, actually) but the truth is that their platform is still full of incredible content. It's just hidden behind the same mountains and seas of garbage that seem to build up on every website of note. I'm sure you can find the entire discography of the majority of your favourite musical artists on it, immediately, for free.

Also, Youtube isn't much fun on a 1.8mbps connection when *I'm* the only one using it.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    I instinctively laughed because of how Youtube is evolving, (or devolving, actually) but the truth is that their platform is still full of incredible content. It's just hidden behind the same mountains and seas of garbage that seem to build up on every website of note. I'm sure you can find the entire discography of the majority of your favourite musical artists on it, immediately, for free.

Also, Youtube isn't much fun on a 1.8mbps connection when *I'm* the only one using it.
    Oh I know there's some great stuff on there, just she doesn't watch any of it.

rainman

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Zen don't contact BT, they contact Openreach who are the network operators. Zen may lease their backhaul from Openreach (or any other entity that owns infrastructure).

Openreach might be part of the BT group, but they are a separate company and not a retail ISP. BT Retail, who are an ISP like Zen, have the same commercial relationship with Openreach as Zen.
    If you read my previous posts you'd see I'd distinguished the difference and mentioned at length BT Openreach. I do understand the difference, but by the time I'd made the post that you've quoted I'd just boiled it down to the lowest common denominator. The relationship between Zen, BT and BT Openreach is not in question here.

12. Received thanks from:

peterb (18-01-2018)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

If you read my previous posts you'd see I'd distinguished the difference and mentioned at length BT Openreach. I do understand the difference, but by the time I'd made the post that you've quoted I'd just boiled it down to the lowest common denominator. The relationship between Zen, BT and BT Openreach is not in question here.
    Thank you.

I had read your previous post, but I cannot assume everyone else does, so my post is really for clarity. The distinction between the multiple entities that comprise BT is an important one.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

The relationship between Zen, BT and BT Openreach is not in question here.
    Well it is a little bit

This is because you're insinuating that BT have effective control over Zens ability to provide their own service.

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

The only thing I would really like is for them to up their upload speeds a little bit, I sometimes suffer from the 20mbps when doing my work.
    You poor love! I lived with 350kbps upload (and 2mbps down) for several years, until our street was fibred last year. Even now I only get 9mbps up and 50 down.

Thanks

BT are the last broadband provider I would ever go with they are such a rip off company
    I will stick with Zen
    the sooner 5G comes out were we don't need landlines then it will be great the BT landlines are
    the biggest rip off out

Tom G Scotland

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

I used to regularly visit the DVD section of the charity shops...
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information