Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 124

Thread: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,725
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,724 times in 596 posts

    Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    ESA confirms meeting is to discuss link between video games and real-life violence.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    30 times in 26 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    He'll do literally ANYTHING to avoid blaming how easy it is to buy "assault" weapons in the US. #neveragain

    I hope the game devs are united in telling him that the only way is to stop the sale of AR-15 & similar guns.
    Ryzen 2700K / Asus B350M TUF Gaming / 32GB Team Dark Pro 3200MHzC14 / Asus Strix Advanced GTX1080 / Acer Predator X34A / 280G Intel Optane 900P / 500G Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD / Ubuntu 18.10-x64 / W10

  3. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (07-03-2018)

  4. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    He'll do literally ANYTHING to avoid blaming how easy it is to buy "assault" weapons in the US. #neveragain

    I hope the game devs are united in telling him that the only way is to stop the sale of AR-15 & similar guns.
    When you've got someone whose campaign was funded by the NRA, he's not going to mess on his own doorstep.

    Sadly the US seems to blind to the evidence...the rest of the Western world has strict gun laws and we don't suffer a fraction of the gun-related deaths that the US does yet we all have the same video games, TV programmes and music culture.

  5. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Yes Tump the reason the children you are responsible for are being slaughtered in their classrooms is because of the availability of pixels in the shape of guns and not the availability of actual <admin edit>guns! Of all the presidents who have been shot this a-hole actually has it comming.
    Last edited by peterb; 06-03-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Language/swearing

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    30 times in 26 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by frozen-monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    He'll do literally ANYTHING to avoid blaming how easy it is to buy "assault" weapons in the US. #neveragain

    I hope the game devs are united in telling him that the only way is to stop the sale of AR-15 & similar guns.
    When you've got someone whose campaign was funded by the NRA, he's not going to mess on his own doorstep.

    Sadly the US seems to blind to the evidence...the rest of the Western world has strict gun laws and we don't suffer a fraction of the gun-related deaths that the US does yet we all have the same video games, TV programmes and music culture.
    All so very true.
    Ryzen 2700K / Asus B350M TUF Gaming / 32GB Team Dark Pro 3200MHzC14 / Asus Strix Advanced GTX1080 / Acer Predator X34A / 280G Intel Optane 900P / 500G Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD / Ubuntu 18.10-x64 / W10

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    903
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked
    114 times in 75 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    And as he hates scientists, logic and peer reviewed papers all the existing research into finding links between violence and media finding little or coincidental linkages are completely null.

    But hey, got to blame someone else when the people who directly benefit from the cause of these problems line your pockets.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,523
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked
    311 times in 216 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    If only someone like Trump had come along sooner to tell us that it's not all these guns that are responsible but actually make believe video games, if only we had known.

  9. #8
    Hexus.Jet TeePee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gallup, NM
    Posts
    4,606
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked
    513 times in 278 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    While blaming video games is nonsense, so is blaming 'Assault Rifles'. There is no such thing. More people are killed with Baseball Bats than rifles of any kind.

    The high Murder rate in the US is a product of Gang Violence and the War on Drugs.

    Worried about the media and their hype over spree killers? Last year the death rate from spree killers was higher in the UK than the US. Don't believe the anti-gun silliness.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,523
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked
    311 times in 216 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    While blaming video games is nonsense, so is blaming 'Assault Rifles'. There is no such thing. More people are killed with Baseball Bats than rifles of any kind.
    Citation please as, on first sight, that seems to be a rather outlandish claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    The high Murder rate in the US is a product of Gang Violence and the War on Drugs.
    Again citation please.

    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    Worried about the media and their hype over spree killers? Last year the death rate from spree killers was higher in the UK than the US. Don't believe the anti-gun silliness.
    Now that does seem unbelievable so again citation please.

  11. Received thanks from:

    nichomach (12-03-2018),Pleiades (07-03-2018)

  12. #10
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,748
    Thanks
    2,624
    Thanked
    3,189 times in 2,532 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    While blaming video games is nonsense, so is blaming 'Assault Rifles'. There is no such thing. More people are killed with Baseball Bats than rifles of any kind.
    Funny that the NRA and Trump refer to them if there is no such thing.

    However an ‘assault rifle’ is generally a light weight weapon which has an automatic or semi automatic firing function according to a military definition.

    More murder ‘may’ be committed with baseball bats, but that is more likely to be a one one one attack, where the perpetrator has to get close to the victim, unlike an automatic or semi automatic weapon which is stand off and capable of killing several people in one burst very quickly. Had the killer in the recent school attack had a baseball bat instead of a gun, I doubt that the death toll would have been as high.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  13. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (07-03-2018)

  14. #11
    bitbucket
    Guest

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    *Face palm* ad infinitum

  15. #12
    Hexus.Jet TeePee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gallup, NM
    Posts
    4,606
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked
    513 times in 278 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Funny that the NRA and Trump refer to them if there is no such thing.

    However an ‘assault rifle’ is generally a light weight weapon which has an automatic or semi automatic firing function according to a military definition.

    More murder ‘may’ be committed with baseball bats, but that is more likely to be a one one one attack, where the perpetrator has to get close to the victim, unlike an automatic or semi automatic weapon which is stand off and capable of killing several people in one burst very quickly. Had the killer in the recent school attack had a baseball bat instead of a gun, I doubt that the death toll would have been as high.
    Automatic weapons are already effectively banned. The 'Assault Weapons' that are so maligned in the US appear to be defined not by function, but by colour.

    Why aren't all murders important? Why only a fraction of a tenth of one percent? And why does anyone think banning guns will reduce spree killings, when the rate is (at least last year) higher in the UK than the US.

  16. #13
    Senior Member Smudger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    3,502
    Thanks
    555
    Thanked
    488 times in 365 posts
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Still haven't cited. Where do you get the claim that the rate of spree killings in the uk is higher than the us?

    And I note the semantics here. Not number of people killed, not number of incidents, 'rate of' which is wooly, unless defined. So please, if you're going to use it to make a claim, define it.

  17. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (07-03-2018)

  18. #14
    Hexus.Jet TeePee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gallup, NM
    Posts
    4,606
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked
    513 times in 278 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Still haven't cited. Where do you get the claim that the rate of spree killings in the uk is higher than the us?

    And I note the semantics here. Not number of people killed, not number of incidents, 'rate of' which is wooly, unless defined. So please, if you're going to use it to make a claim, define it.
    Rate is number per capita.

  19. #15
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Why does he protest against North Korea so much?

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Pretty sure North Korea don't own any virtual nukes, we'll all be fine, right?

  20. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,523
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked
    311 times in 216 posts

    Re: Trump to meet US video game industry heads on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    Why aren't all murders important? Why only a fraction of a tenth of one percent? And why does anyone think banning guns will reduce spree killings, when the rate is (at least last year) higher in the UK than the US.
    Just because you say something doesn't make it true, citation please otherwise your claim that there were more killing sprees in the UK last year is just nonsense, although i suspect you're attempting to avoid providing a citation as you know full well that you're comparing two very different definitions of what a killing spree is.

    And the reason banning, not that's what people are talking about, would reduce killing sprees is probably the same logic that applies to drugs or any number of other things that have controls placed on them.

  21. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (07-03-2018)

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •