• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I had a half typed-up response mentioning the trend of the US film industry always portraying the English as baddies, I wasn't sure if I was being a bit flippant given the context though!

Surely even the US audience are growing tired of the predictability of nearly every terribly imitated English accent being the villain, though?

Edit: Not that I read general news a heck of a lot, but I agree in that I find Reuters fairly neutral. I've found their wording to be pretty objective and free of speculation or opinion on the articles I have read.
    Some are actually quite convincing,but most people don't speak with an rp accent over here. We need more cornish bad guys in us films - it will be hilarious to see how yanks can imitate that.

Quote Originally Posted by judge56988 View Post
    The right wing obviously ranges from slightly right of centre to fascism. The extreme right scares me just as much as the extreme left scares me because both require authoritarian rule, which is something I hate with a passion. That viewpoint probably relects the leaning of the majority I would say, based on the election results and it's abundantly clear that this country does not and probably never has wanted a left wing government because whenever that has been the alternative to a Tory government, the Tories have always won.
    What irks me is that a supposedly impartial, publicly funded broadcasting organisation is pushing their liberal (small l) agenda, not just through the news and current affairs programming but also through their drama output. Their remit is to report the news without bias whether that be overt or the more subtle kind favoured by the BBC. Print media mostly is and always has been biassed in one direction or another according to the beliefs of the proprieter however everyone is aware of that. The whole thing about the BBC is that it's not meant to be like that.
    If you think the BBC isn't the only biased TV news channel,I have news for you - the whole of the broadcast media here can be utterly biased in various aspects of reporting events outside the country.

Its why you need to read sources from all over the world,including left and right wing to get a good feel of events. Some of the stuff the UK media conveniently ignores,is kind of eye-opening.

Edit!!

An example is the constant coverage of Syria,but the near absence of coverage of what is happening in Yemen. Also in other countries where one side in a conflict,or maybe one parties views are covered more than other views in a country,leading to a lopsided view of what is actually happening.

Registered+
    Thanks

He works for BT Sport as well. Judging that he does a few hours every week during season time and the odd tournament. He is vastly overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by DWhitley View Post
    They are in favour of any system which takes away the ability of viewers to opt out.

They claim to provide high quality programming but they are not prepared to put this to the test, at the same time claiming that their overpaid "talent" such as Gary Lineker would go elsewhere if their salaries were reduced to something more respectable. £25k per annum sounds about right.

A shadow of what it used to be.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

They hate us so much,they even get yanks to pretend to be brits,who pretend to be bad guys.
    They still haven't forgiven us for burning down the Whitehouse and a lot of other government buildings in 1814. Worth remembering that despite attempting to remain neutral in the European war, the US did eventually side with Napoleon and declared war on Great Britain although opinion in the country was split. As usual with the US it was all about how they could make the most profit out of the situation.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

As usual with the US it was all about how they could make the most profit out of the situation.
    At least they are consistent!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

If you think the BBC isn't the only biased TV news channel,I have news for you - the whole of the broadcast media here can be utterly biased in various aspects of reporting events outside the country.

Its why you need to read sources from all over the world,including left and right wing to get a good feel of events. Some of the stuff the UK media conveniently ignores,is kind of eye-opening.
    I don't think that and I do in fact look at everything from Russia Today to Al Jazeera.
    I (until a few weeks ago) spend half my life working all over the world from Russia to the UAE to Europe so get an opportunity to talk to the people I'm working with in those countries. Most Russians I've met love Putin. Who'd have thought it?

Banned
    Thanks

The right wing obviously ranges from slightly right of centre to fascism. The extreme right scares me just as much as the extreme left scares me because both require authoritarian rule, which is something I hate with a passion. That viewpoint probably relects the leaning of the majority I would say, based on the election results and it's abundantly clear that this country does not and probably never has wanted a left wing government because whenever that has been the alternative to a Tory government, the Tories have always won.
    What irks me is that a supposedly impartial, publicly funded broadcasting organisation is pushing their liberal (small l) agenda, not just through the news and current affairs programming but also through their drama output. Their remit is to report the news without bias whether that be overt or the more subtle kind favoured by the BBC. Print media mostly is and always has been biassed in one direction or another according to the beliefs of the proprieter however everyone is aware of that. The whole thing about the BBC is that it's not meant to be like that.
    What is the extreme left? People who care a lot about the environment and want equality? Whats scary about that.

Right wingers want inequality and don't value the lives of those poorer than them and are always racist and xenophobic. There's a reason why the far right have been flooding the conservative party.

The election results were based on a population that were manipulated into hating the left and made the country essentially turkeys voting for christmas. The bbc falsified footage twice to make boris look good and attacked anything left wing for some time.

7. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (03-04-2020)

Thanks

I don't think that and I do in fact look at everything from Russia Today to Al Jazeera.
    Looking at I get. But you have to be very careful taking what you see at face value when one of those is allegedly responsible for blatant propaganda, misinformation and fuelling genuinely harmful conspiracies around everything from 5G to anti-vax and the current pandemic. I do wonder if there's been any shift on the opinion of the latter given the current situation? Measles seems to be a favourite target for that group and that's staggeringly contagious, far more so than the virus causing the current global crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by DK2019 View Post
    What is the extreme left? People who care a lot about the environment and want equality? Whats scary about that.
    There's more to the far-left than you're implying which sounds more centre-left.

Right wingers want inequality and don't value the lives of those poorer than them and are always racist and xenophobic.
    Far right yes, but that's not true of centre-right.

I'm staying the heck out of a political debate but you can't really compare a near-centre version of one political ideology to an extreme version of the other.

9. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (06-04-2020)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I (until a few weeks ago) spend half my life working all over the world from Russia to the UAE to Europe so get an opportunity to talk to the people I'm working with in those countries. Most Russians I've met love Putin. Who'd have thought it?
    I have travelled too,and have seen some of the reporting side by side,it isn't as objective as you think it is. Also regarding Putin I have seen that too,and I can understand if someone had to live through the horrible 1990s - these people probably value stability and food on the table. Their first experience of free market economics and democracy was poverty and a few Oligarchs owning half the economy. The ones who could leave,left - so who you have left behind are nationalists,the ones who were already wealthy and the poor who could not leave. This is also a country which has a long imperial history so lost face. So Putin made sure he made them happy,and projected a Russian is stronk viewpoint and it worked wonders. Also the whole "world is against us" and I am your protector and saviour thing. Sound familar?

This is not an unusual playbook really - its happening all over the world. We are moving towards more and more populists who portray the same kind of appearance. Everywhere from the Philippines with Duerte,Modi in India,Orban in Hungary to even Trump in the US. The media is perplexed why this is happening,because their reporting needs to be more general.

The UK media does under report stuff. I have seen myself on some conflicts and certain political situations,where they talk about one side in glowing revenance,then vilify one side....years later we see the side we put up on a pedestal,are not as nice people as we think they are. The media here is always about "relatives" not "absolutes". About one side vs another,especially when one side is just a different shade of the same thing and the real problem is the society in a country. Remember news companies are businesses and they are here to make money,and target what is best suited for their audiences. Truth is not always a convenient thing - the media didn't exactly cover itself in glory on how it pitted everyone against everyone else in 2016,did it?

I have seen reporters with definite conflicts of interests being used,who seem to lack objectivity especially when they do interviews. I have seen some situations where the reporting pushes one thing,so people get a slightly warped idea of specific cultures,and then actually go to the country and its actually not quite what is portrayed here.

I mean if we ignore all of that - lets go back to the 1980s and how we portrayed Jihadists as heroes. The same lot who had zero tolerence of moderate muslims,or anyone who wasn't an ultra conservative themselves? They never ever hid this either,but we did.

Within a few years the same "heroes" planted a bomb inside the Twin Towers. The media was shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Looking at I get. But you have to be very careful taking what you see at face value when one of those is allegedly responsible for blatant propaganda, misinformation and fuelling genuinely harmful conspiracies around everything from 5G to anti-vax and the current pandemic. I do wonder if there's been any shift on the opinion of the latter given the current situation? Measles seems to be a favourite target for that group and that's staggeringly contagious, far more so than the virus causing the current global crisis.
    Its not about face value but getting a feel for what the right,left,conservatives and liberal viewpoint is on any one stance. Even looking at different news broadcasters throughout the world you can see how different cultures perceive the same news. Its very interesting.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 02-04-2020 at 09:31 PM.

11. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (04-04-2020)

Registered+
    Thanks

Right wingers want ... and are always racist and xenophobic.
    Always? Really? Sweeping and objectionable generalisations or what?
    I could make similar comments about left wingers being anti semitic but it wouldn't be correct. Or talk about de-platforming and the erosion of freedom of speech.
    You only have to look at the people in the current cabinet... no racial diversity there is there??
    There's no appetite for the hard left in this country. People value their freedom too much.

Banned
    Thanks

Always? Really? Sweeping and objectionable generalisations or what?
    I could make similar comments about left wingers being anti semitic but it wouldn't be correct. Or talk about de-platforming and the erosion of freedom of speech.
    You only have to look at the people in the current cabinet... no racial diversity there is there??
    There's no appetite for the hard left in this country. People value their freedom too much.
    Lol you sound like a die hard american tbh. Racists get deplatformed thats normal and it doesn't impact anyone's freedom of speech, hate speech is obviously the limit of freedom of speech. The left do have diversity. We have people like dianne abbot, david lammy, sadiq khan etc all of whom get tons of abuse from right wingers.

14. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (03-04-2020)

Thanks

Right wingers want inequality and don't value the lives of those poorer than them and are always racist and xenophobic. There's a reason why the far right have been flooding the conservative party.

The election results were based on a population that were manipulated into hating the left and made the country essentially turkeys voting for christmas. The bbc falsified footage twice to make boris look good and attacked anything left wing for some time.
    People on the left do not want equality, they want to feel superior and have no consequences while punishing and slandering those that disagree with them. People are reported to the police for saying on twitter that they don't think there's infinite genders or even lose their jobs. These people pretend to be compassionate, meanwhile you constantly see them wishing old people to die off so that the "undemocratic" votes turn in their favour. There are instances of sexism and racism that still exist today, but there are also a hell of a lot of false allegations. A big one is claiming that the NHS is homophobic when they had tighter restrictions on blood donations from sexually active gay men as if potentially infecting someone was worth more than hurting someone's feelings. Then you also get false manipulation such as the gender pay gap and pink tax. There will also sometimes be info in news left out to not leave a negative impression against certain people.

A good way to move away from the isms, is to not label everything as <insert discriminated group here>ist.
    Last edited by FRISH; 03-04-2020 at 03:59 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Lol you sound like a die hard american tbh. Racists get deplatformed thats normal and it doesn't impact anyone's freedom of speech, hate speech is obviously the limit of freedom of speech. The left do have diversity. We have people like dianne abbot, david lammy, sadiq khan etc all of whom get tons of abuse from right wingers.
    First, I can assure you that I'm not American however I will say that the US constitution and the freedoms that it enshrines was heavily influenced by Magna Carta - an English document of course, that predates the constitution by almost 600 years. The British have a long history of fighting for a free society and small government. No ID cards here, unlike most of Europe and really, that's why the EU referendum went the way it did - a lot of British people who were not prepared to have too many rules imposed upon them by their own elected government certainly wouldn't accept even more rules from an unelected European bureaucracy.
    Second, where did I say that the left wing didn't have diversity? What I did do was counter your assertation that all right wingers are racist xenophobes by pointing out, sarcastically, how racially and ethnically diverse the government is.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

So anyway, the BBC...

Thoughts on the coverage of the current pandemic? Fair, honest, impartial, non-sensationalist and educational enough?

Thanks
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5" WQHD 144Hz; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100 Mibs

No ID cards here, unlike most of Europe and really, that's why the EU referendum went the way it did - a lot of British people who were not prepared to have too many rules imposed upon them by their own elected government certainly wouldn't accept even more rules from an unelected European bureaucracy.
    Yeah sure, lack of ID cards is what makes you 'freer' than other nations. Are you feeling particularly 'free' at the moment? Never mind, you've got Navy Blue passports now at least

Still whingeing about 'unelected bureaucracies' too?! Pathetic. Especially as you know European elections at least use PR - unlike the antiquated, gerrymandered UK system.
    ------------------

Valar Morghulis

Thanks
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5" WQHD 144Hz; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100 Mibs

Wink Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

Quote Originally Posted by FRISH View Post
    A big one is claiming that the NHS is homophobic when they had tighter restrictions on blood donations from sexually active gay men as if potentially infecting someone was worth more than hurting someone's feelings. Then you also get false manipulation such as the gender pay gap and pink tax. There will also sometimes be info in news left out to not leave a negative impression against certain people.
    I genuinely feel sorry for you. It must be horrible living with such deluded paranoia.

Pointless arguing with such as you and your fellow travellers (anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, religious zealots etc) since objective facts mean nothing in the face of ingrained prejudice and wilful ignorance.
    ------------------

Valar Morghulis

Thanks

Are you about 12 years old?

The extreme left is authoritarian. Past the cuddly assistance for people and benefits to defining every aspect of a person's existence. Please, please read about living behind the curtain during the cold war. Watch 'The Lives of Others', read 'Nothing to Envy'. When we can travel again, head to the baltics and visit one of the museums about living under soviet socialism. Then go to Spain and Portugal to learn about Fascism. Not a whole lot of difference.

Once you've done that, perhaps realise the difference between the Conservative, Liberal and Labout parties in the UK is TINY. Subtle differences about where the lines is for self reliance vs state assistance. Corbyn lost because his view was outside that, not authoritarian left, but many in his circle clearly are. Boris is very socially liberal - he sits right where Blair was. It's also questionable how fiscally conservative he actually is. He's not 'extreme right' or a fascist or whatever other idiotic label the left give him, He spams the centre left and right, which is exactly why the left hate him. They have to push left to differentiate.
    r
    "Right wingers want inequality and don't value the lives of those poorer than them and are always racist and xenophobic"

Ding ding. The most stupid, prejudiced statement of the thread. Did you sociology teacher tell you that? The liberal right believe in more self-reliance and individualism. The liberal left believe in more centralisation and state assistance. The right care about the poor and those down on their luck every bit as much as the left - they just disagree on the best way to assist (equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome).

The BBC and the NHS have existed under Tory governments for far, far longer than Labour governments. If they wanted to close either, they've had plenty of opportunity. They haven't.

21. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (06-04-2020),Zak33 (06-04-2020)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information