Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 33 to 48 of 66

Thread: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

  1. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    539
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    17 times in 12 posts
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    I've built my own PC's since Dos days. I've had a couple of consoles but lack of keyboard and mouse always meant I went back to the PC. I've just finished a Ryzen 3700X build with an RTX2070 Super so I think I'll just stick with the PC

  2. #34
    Going Retro!!! Ferral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    7,859
    Thanks
    559
    Thanked
    1,435 times in 876 posts
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Already in the process of doing it. It is just way to expensive to keep up with PC gaming now from components to screens and not forgetting the overly toxic multiplayer communities (yeah you get them on console but PC is far worse)

    I do still buy and play older stuff on PC from GOG and have stuff like Skyrim which never gets old (also have the controller mod installed for Oblivion so can play that sitting back). In those circumstances I have the game shortcuts in Steam for GOG titles that can be played with a controller and then use either my Steam link on the 3rd floor or Steam app on my TV to play them from the comfort of the couch.

    I do have a PS4 Pro & XBox One X attached to my 4K TV and have mainly been playing on the XBox since before Christmas as I prefer the controller. I do play on PS4 also but I did cancel plus given I have Game Pass Ultimate for the 1X

  3. Received thanks from:

    CAT-THE-FIFTH (04-04-2020)

  4. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    772
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    9 times in 9 posts

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    It is not expensive it is rated to much up in price for PC items... I remember the price of a Voodoo II 3D accelerator paired with my Matrox G200.... was in no way expensive and top of the line GFX at the current point.

    Team Green, Red, Blue.... get it together, make quality again at affordable prices.... could get the money back if it was all mainstream.

  5. #36
    Chillie in here j.o.s.h.1408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    a place called home
    Posts
    8,543
    Thanks
    757
    Thanked
    256 times in 193 posts
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    Already in the process of doing it. It is just way to expensive to keep up with PC gaming now from components to screens and not forgetting the overly toxic multiplayer communities (yeah you get them on console but PC is far worse)

    I do still buy and play older stuff on PC from GOG and have stuff like Skyrim which never gets old (also have the controller mod installed for Oblivion so can play that sitting back). In those circumstances I have the game shortcuts in Steam for GOG titles that can be played with a controller and then use either my Steam link on the 3rd floor or Steam app on my TV to play them from the comfort of the couch.

    I do have a PS4 Pro & XBox One X attached to my 4K TV and have mainly been playing on the XBox since before Christmas as I prefer the controller. I do play on PS4 also but I did cancel plus given I have Game Pass Ultimate for the 1X
    Its not too pricey. my mobo, ram, cpu and psu are all about 6 years old but i have upgraded the gpu twice that time.

    780 to 980 to 2080ti.

    Thats it.

    Sold the 780 and 980 along the way too. i believe my system was build at the end of ps3 lifecycle.

  6. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    338
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Hell NO

  7. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sunny Bracknell
    Posts
    1,713
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    99 times in 93 posts
    • dfour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair 8 Hero wifi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700x
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Dark pro @3600
      • Storage:
      • sabrent and wd nvme + 3 TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Vega 64 Strix water cooled
      • PSU:
      • Fractal design Ion+ 760p
      • Case:
      • Lian Li 011D custom water cooled
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC agon 32" + Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Zen Fibre @72 meg

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Nope

  8. #39
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,806
    Thanks
    3,834
    Thanked
    5,114 times in 3,946 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    Its not too pricey. my mobo, ram, cpu and psu are all about 6 years old but i have upgraded the gpu twice that time.

    780 to 980 to 2080ti.

    Thats it.

    Sold the 780 and 980 along the way too. i believe my system was build at the end of ps3 lifecycle.
    An RTX2080TI is not pricey? WTF?? All the people I know laughed at the price and said no,even if they could afford to buy two a year.

    Plus you have just proven the point Ferral made too. The GTX780 and GTX980 RRPs were far lower than an RTX2080TI. The GTX1080TI was nearly half the price to two-thirds the price of the RTX2080TI.

    Stupid pricing of the RTX2080TI,pushed mainstream GPUs upto $350 now,with the RTX2060.Before Turing market research firms pointed out that midrange was sub $300 - its risen.

    Also according to JPR and Mercury Research anything over $300~$350 is enthusiast.

    Your RTX2080TI cost more than my entire PC spend for the last 5 years including graphics cards,and that included replacing a platform which was coming to its 7th year and started to have reliability problems. If that is not pricey well I am screwed.

    Edit!!

    Better still - I looked at the RRPs,of the GTX780,GTX980 and RTX2080TI - at RRP,that is over £2000 just on GPUs in under 7 years.

    That is nearly £300 a year,at official RRP prices. Everything else is fine on PC,modern GPUs are a blooming ripoff. Not shocking as Nvidia is now making net and gross margins close to that of the mining era again....without the mining.

    I hope RDNA2 is actually good and AMD decides to do a Ryzen moment,because if it isn't the RTX3080TI will be close to £2000,and everything else will be pushed up in price. Soon an RTX3060 will be £400 and the RTX4060 even more. I will be stuck with an RTX3040 at this rate. I can enjoy low raytracing at 480p upscaled to 1440p- it will be glorious! I will probably be a no-choice Retro gamer it appears! GOG here I come!

    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-04-2020 at 04:21 PM.

  9. Received thanks from:

    007 (07-04-2020),Ferral (04-04-2020)

  10. #40
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Holland
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • pumpkin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • i5-4590
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD, 1Tb SSD, 2 x 4Tb SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX580 8Gb
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 34" CU34G2X
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC & NowTV

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    No, big fan of Steam and need to play Half Life!

  11. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Darwen
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    No,

    Because I already use and regularly play games on PC, PS4 Pro, PS3 and Xbox One X.

    And yes I will be getting a PS5, not sure about the Xbox SX yet.

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked
    28 times in 22 posts

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Probably. I got into pc gaming first but buy the sony consoles for the exclusives but feel like as time goes by I have less of a reason to maintain a gaming pc. I feel like nvidia has ruined pc gaming for many. They keep introducing pointless things like rtx to just tank everyone's performance and justify absurd gpu pricing.

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,522
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    89 times in 72 posts
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3700x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Silicon Power NVME + 2x 4tb Raid 0 (2tbx2) arrays with 250gb Silicon Power NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 290 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk!

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    An RTX2080TI is not pricey? WTF?? All the people I know laughed at the price and said no,even if they could afford to buy two a year.

    Plus you have just proven the point Ferral made too. The GTX780 and GTX980 RRPs were far lower than an RTX2080TI. The GTX1080TI was nearly half the price to two-thirds the price of the RTX2080TI.

    Stupid pricing of the RTX2080TI,pushed mainstream GPUs upto $350 now,with the RTX2060.Before Turing market research firms pointed out that midrange was sub $300 - its risen.

    Also according to JPR and Mercury Research anything over $300~$350 is enthusiast.

    Your RTX2080TI cost more than my entire PC spend for the last 5 years including graphics cards,and that included replacing a platform which was coming to its 7th year and started to have reliability problems. If that is not pricey well I am screwed.

    Edit!!

    Better still - I looked at the RRPs,of the GTX780,GTX980 and RTX2080TI - at RRP,that is over £2000 just on GPUs in under 7 years.

    That is nearly £300 a year,at official RRP prices. Everything else is fine on PC,modern GPUs are a blooming ripoff. Not shocking as Nvidia is now making net and gross margins close to that of the mining era again....without the mining.

    I hope RDNA2 is actually good and AMD decides to do a Ryzen moment,because if it isn't the RTX3080TI will be close to £2000,and everything else will be pushed up in price. Soon an RTX3060 will be £400 and the RTX4060 even more. I will be stuck with an RTX3040 at this rate. I can enjoy low raytracing at 480p upscaled to 1440p- it will be glorious! I will probably be a no-choice Retro gamer it appears! GOG here I come!

    It does amaze me how many seem to own 2080ti's and don't think it was expensive, if the current trend continues I may never own an Nvidia card, I operate on the best value which always points to AMD but even their recent pricing has worried me.

  14. Received thanks from:

    007 (07-04-2020)

  15. #44
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    I'm fine gaming on my PC.

  16. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    I prefer a keyboard and mouse, this may well be down to being left handed though.

  17. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    26 times in 20 posts

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Why reduce my choice to a single type of system? I have a gaming PC and several consoles.

  18. #47
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,806
    Thanks
    3,834
    Thanked
    5,114 times in 3,946 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    It does amaze me how many seem to own 2080ti's and don't think it was expensive, if the current trend continues I may never own an Nvidia card, I operate on the best value which always points to AMD but even their recent pricing has worried me.
    AMD will also tag along though,because if the market indicates its tolerant of the pricing,that is what is going to happen. They will just price slightly lower than Nvidia,but be close in pricing .I hope AMD is feeling generous in the future otherwise its going to get pricier!

  19. #48
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: QOTW: Are you tempted to switch from PC to console gaming?

    The new consoles will drive down the cost of PC gaming as Nvidia and AMD will no longer be able to charge such large amounts for their cards. GPU prices will gradually creep up again in a few years until it's time for the next console in 2027 or so.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •