• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Re: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Given the price I think I'd be tempted to still get the standard 3080...
    Honestly given the price point, you may as well plump for the 3090 if you have that sort of money to spend on a graphics card / single component.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Surprised how mixed the reviews for this are, some seem to like the idea of potentially more cards being produced due to fewer GDDR6 chips on each card, near 3090 performance as to make no difference for a lower MSRP, and a smaller cooler than a 3090. Then others seem to think it's a waste of time releasing a new model in the current climate, GN was particularly harsh but i think they may have a bad card as they were getting 90-100c and a flickering screen when they touched the power budget.
    Given the mrrp price (lol) of the AMD RX 6900 XT? Or the mrrp price (also a lol) of the 3080Ti, if I was looking for a graphics card right now and RTX wasn't important enough, I'd opt for the 6900 XT. Honestly though, considering the performance of the 3060 with DLSS enabled, that would probably do well enough if it were available to buy at mrrp.

That's my issue with this whole round of cards, the price. Not just the scalper pricing, but also the mrrp. Both Nvidia and AMD need to get a grip and start considering the £250 price bracket and gaming console performance, which is more than enough if they want to compete with consoles for gaming hardware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Honestly given the price point, you may as well plump for the 3090 if you have that sort of money to spend on a graphics card / single component.
    The 3080 is £649, that's a fair chunk less than the 3090, the 3080Ti isn't fast enough to warrant the £400 premium over the stock 3080, yeah its got more RAM, but not enough of that or performance to justify the price over the stock 3080, IMHO...

Spreadie

The 3080 is £649, that's a fair chunk less than the 3090, the 3080Ti isn't fast enough to warrant the £400 premium over the stock 3080, yeah its got more RAM, but not enough of that or performance to justify the price over the stock 3080, IMHO...
    You might consider the current market though - Scoring one of the increasingly rare FE drops for 3090 is arguably on par with scalper 3080 AIB pricing.

4. Received thanks from:

Iota (02-06-2021)

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

It's a massive conspiracy to get everyone buying a console... Seriously though, who would get this over a new Xbox or PS5 (when you can get them) then spend the spare change on a 4k TV?

PC gaming is dead

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    It's a massive conspiracy to get everyone buying a console... Seriously though, who would get this over a new Xbox or PS5 (when you can get them) then spend the spare change on a 4k TV?

PC gaming is dead
    I wouldn't say pc gaming is dead, just the new hardware is unreasonable in it's prices, I'm more than happy playing games on my £200 i7 with a gtx970, and I don't want a console, it just sucks badly that at the moment any upgrade is so bloody expensive, infact I bought the gtx970 second hand last year for £90 and now they are selling for £150+ on ebay .... work that one out? if you mine on them it won't even cover the cost of the electric you use.
    The world has gone mad!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    You might consider the current market though - Scoring one of the increasingly rare FE drops for 3090 is arguably on par with scalper 3080 AIB pricing.
    The only cards I am interested in though is the FE cards, anything else is just fluff, if I can get a 3080 then that's what I'll try and get as I don't believe it offers enough of a performance boost for the extra outlay vs what the 3080 does and costs..

Spreadie

The only cards I am interested in though is the FE cards, anything else is just fluff, if I can get a 3080 then that's what I'll try and get as I don't believe it offers enough of a performance boost for the extra outlay vs what the 3080 does and costs..
    Not necessarily accurate - I wanted a 3080 FE but decided a few months back it ain't gunna happen and, in an effort to game the system, I bought a 3090 FE with a view to mining to cover the extra cost. Long story short, it worked - my 3090 was essentially free. Although, I doubt it'd work as well now, since Musk and China piddled in the broth, and with EIP 1559 coming up next month.
    Last edited by Spreadie; 03-06-2021 at 07:30 AM.

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    As someone who plays at 4K it feels like you're basically paying an insane premium for a bit more RAM. I wanna upgrade a 1080Ti but the 3080 has less VRAM, and am seeing a lot of games even today using most if not all, and it's only going to get worse
    That was my biggest concern with upgrading from a 1080Ti to a 3080. As an example, when playing Flight Sim 2020, Task Manager would show VRAM up around 11GB so I thought a 3080 would struggle with 'only' 10GB.

I did some digging though, and quickly discovered that the VRAM figure shown in Task Manager is slightly misleading in that it shows VRAM allocation, not usage. To confirm this I enabled the dev console in FS2020, which shows realtime VRAM usage. The figure shown here was around 6GB (this was @1440p with pretty high detail settings).

I've since bought a 3080FE, and FS runs miles better with the new card despite the slight drop in VRAM. Admittedly I'm not gaming at 4K like you, but it's still worth bearing the above in mind if, like me, you're going by those VRAM figures in Task Manager and wondering how a 3080 could possibly cope.

Thanks

Doesn't make sense at the MSRP.
    72% greater cost, for at best 13% improvement, and more like 8% on average, as per Gamers Nexus.
    This is purely about milking blindly loyal customers with a product that really should have been where the 3080 is, in name and price.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post

PC gaming is dead
    More likely they want you to try their online streaming experience.

Thanks

PC gaming isn't dead - the fact that the prices are still so high confirms that. It's just a perfect storm of pandemic has made people go stir crazy, low availability for the multitude of reasons covered and the console (lack of) availability...
    Have a nice Pi4 setup for retro games, looked at getting a controller. The Xbox one wireless controller is around £50 s/hand, with the elite at over £100 and yet nobody seems bothered by that. Those prices are just as crazy as the gfx card prices....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by smargh View Post
    Meh. I'll stick with my 1080ti until they release something with a reasonable TDP. 350 watts is ridiculous.

Seems like they're just bruteforcing performance.
    Depending on how much you invest in Twitter anime avatar leaker types, apparently we'll be going above 400W with the next round of Nvidia and AMD cards.

Quote Originally Posted by GSV]Trig View Post
    Correct. People will be hitting the shader/RT limit way before the 10GB of VRAM comes in to play. Whilst this is clearly the card that should have launched last year to be worthwhile to some, it isn't breaking any new ground due to pricing.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    Not necessarily accurate - I wanted a 3080 FE but decided a few months back it ain't gunna happen and, in an effort to game the system, I bought a 3090 FE with a view to mining to cover the extra cost. Long story short, it worked - my 3090 was essentially free. Although, I doubt it'd work as well now, since Musk and China piddled in the broth, and with EIP 1559 coming up next month.
    Yeah I'm in the same boat with the 3060Ti I managed to get at launch, I sold my old RX-580 for £120 and have then mined enough to cover its cost and then some, but the performance isn't quite there on the 3060Ti to max out all the settings on my new monitor, so I want more lol..

Registered+
    Thanks

I give it a week until Nvidia "accidently" remove the mining limiter with a driver update!

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by ShreddedWheat View Post
    I give it a week until Nvidia "accidently" remove the mining limiter with a driver update!
    They don't need to. The cards will still sell out immediately and any third party firmware hacks will likely absolve them of warranty concerns.

Thanks
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3080 FE