• Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Dell.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel
    Dell.
    .... you know swearing is forbidden on these forums?
    And God said "Let there be light." But then the program crashed because he was trying to access the 'light' property of a NULL universe pointer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacQuest
    That's what people will be saying after Core 2 "Woodcrest" [server class] is announced this Monday the 26th, and Core 2 "Conroe" [desktop class] is announced in a month.

"Woodcrest will be the first Intel Core Microarchitecture processor to be launched on the market; it will be a server version of the Intel Core 2 processor. It will be released on June 26th, 2006. Intel claims that it will provide an 80% boost in performance, while reducing power consumption by 20% relative to the Pentium D. It will fill in the 51xx line at launch.
    The Woodcrest will sport a 1333 MT/s FSB, with the fastest processor clocking in at 3.0 GHz. All Woodcrests will use LGA 771 and have a TDP of 80 W, which is much less than the previous generation of 130 W. All models will support EM64T, the XD bit, and Virtualization Technology with Demand-Based Switching only on Dual-Core Xeon 5140 or above."

Core 2 "Kentsfield" Quad Core @ 3.2 Ghz benchmarks anyone? [shipping January '07... maybe sooner] http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....php?p=1527913

Or maybe everyone would rather hold out for "Cloverton"?

"Clovertown, a quad-core version of Woodcrest, consisting of two Woodcrest dies on a multi-chip module. Rumoured to use a 1066 MT/s FSB. Intel plans to release Clovertown towards the end of 2006, and the clock speeds will likely be a step or two down from Woodcrest. There will also be an MP-capable version of Clovertown, codenamed Clovertown-MP."

For more "AMD gettin' it's botty spanked and then handed back to itself by Intel" goodness, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon

Sooooo ... NEW professional class [and priced] Mac Pro desktops [PowerMac replacement] with Woodcrest chips AND [hopefully, this is my prediction] a BRAND NEW consumer class [and priced] mini tower Mac Pro desktop with Conroe chips no later than the week of August 7th. Probably sooner for the pro Woodcrest models since Intel has again beat it's preliminary deadline.

Good times [and a MAJOR pre-emptive strike by Macs on pc hardware manufacturers] coming soon, VERY soon. MARK MY WORDS!

The actual WAR is when Mac OS 10.5 Leopard and windows xp sp3 ... I mean "wannabe Mac OS" ... I mean vista are both available at the same time. Leopard will be out by the holidays.

vista? '05. No wait. '06. Hold on. Did we say '06? Because we meant January 07. Wait, wait, wait... make it April instead. How 'bout pre 2010 just to be safe?

Who knows, maybe by that time AMD might be catching back up to Intel.

I for one have my money saved for a new MAC Pro Desktop (It would be the MINI Tower with Conroe). This will be the first MAC I have ever owned. After using my mates 20" iMAC for a few weeks I'm far more excited about Leopard than VISTA (XP 3.0) after playing with VISTA Beta 2 for a month now. Productivity-wise I'm switching all non-game related tasks to a MAC environment. Exciting times indeed

Quite frankly VISTA is looking to be a massive Anti-Climax.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Good times [and a MAJOR pre-emptive strike by Macs on pc hardware manufacturers] coming soon, VERY soon. MARK MY WORDS!
    Um, no.

The actual WAR is when Mac OS 10.5 Leopard and windows xp sp3 ... I mean "wannabe Mac OS" ... I mean vista are both available at the same time. Leopard will be out by the holidays.
    Gentoo > *

vista? '05. No wait. '06. Hold on. Did we say '06? Because we meant January 07. Wait, wait, wait... make it April instead. How 'bout pre 2010 just to be safe?
    who cares?.. *cough*xgl*cough*

Who knows, maybe by that time AMD might be catching back up to Intel.
    Probibly will.

I'll be honest with you, nobody cares about your Mac ramblings.. Nobody with a gram (0.0352 ounce) of gray matter would lock themselves into 1 hardware/software platform from which they have no return, and don't even own their own computer and pay way over the head for the 'privilage' of not doing so and the only freedom you have with it is doing nothing. It seems to me that you're trying desperatly hard to convince yourself that you made the right choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line
    [QUOTE=BladeRnRI'm far more excited about Leopard than VISTA (XP 3.0).[/QUOTE]

When did Vista become XP 3.0? I thought it was a new standalone thing..
    Last edited by Whiternoise; 02-07-2006 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiternoise
    When did Vista become XP 3.0? I thought it was a new standalone thing..
    It''s my unofficial designation for VISTA given it appears (After much use) little more than a new version of XP. Therefore I simply gave it a version number that was pulled out of my ass

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt
    I'll be honest with you, nobody cares about your Mac ramblings.. Nobody with a gram (0.0352 ounce) of gray matter would lock themselves into 1 hardware/software platform from which they have no return, and don't even own their own computer and pay way over the head for the 'privilage' of not doing so and the only freedom you have with it is doing nothing. It seems to me that you're trying desperatly hard to convince yourself that you made the right choice.
    I thought this was a sub-branch of the HEXUS.opinions forum.. hence he is very free to give his opinion about macs just as you are about linux

Since Macs went intel they have thankfully broken free of the 1 hardware/software platform, as you can now buy a mac and then run mac OS, windows or Linux all from the same machine.

Vista is a standalone, however it's a commonish joke that it's not much more than service pack 3 for xp, as they have dropped a lot of the major features such as winFS from the original plans. There are still many things that Vista is doing that are new and great compared to XP, such as finally having decent limited privaledges handling, something *nix has been great at for decades, and one of the main reasons I'm probably going to swap. It's also a 64bit OS that will finally drive widespread use of 64bit code. However it still won't be fully taking advantage of dual cores, and winFS really was going to be a killer feature

Thanks
    Good to see, too, how closely aidanjt must have been following the developments with dual-booting between OS X and XP on Intel-based Macs .

As illustrated, might I say, in the recent HEXUS.liftestyle reviews of the Mac mini and Boot Camp.

Oh, and I'd like to think that I still have sufficient grey matter to seriously consider Mac hardware now that it can easily switch between OS X and XP.

Certainly, I've got enough not to make uniformed comments about others' intentions to do so.
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 03-07-2006 at 02:18 PM.

rad
    Thanks
    Good work Bob

rad
    Thanks
    Conroe shows dodgy RAID performance anomalies
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32818

Banned
    Thanks
    Need more info and reviews before buying into Conroe

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Thread Information