Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Virgin Media BB rant

Thanks

Re: Virgin Media BB rant

not that it should change the Rant, but the title of the thread should be "Virgin.net BB rant"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j1979 View Post
    When Virgin Media happened, Telewest & Nlt were merged (sort of) but Virgin.net is still separate from the merger. All adsl under the Virgin media branding is still separate from VM. It is impossible for someone to have cable TV and ADSL broadband from virgin media. Because Virgin.net only operate in non cable areas. they are a totaly separate company, that only has links because they are owned by the same parent company.
    only owned by the same parent company that's a big only

I'll admit I don't know the difference between VM ADSL service and the rest of VM - but could they not same lots of money on bill and customer service if they amalgamated them.

The idea of ADSL service was to provide broadband to the non cable areas, be interesting how many people would want cable TV and ADSL broadband - VM only offer up to 8mbit be more interesting if the offered up to 20/24mbit ADSL2. VM would push their cabled services where available as this should give them there biggest profit.

As a general question if I am on a 8mbit ADSL set up and I switch to another 8mbit ADSL would the speed be the same? Is VM ADSL just as slow as an any other are they not just flogging on the BT service - or can an ISP install their own equipment for ADSL or this that just for ADSL2?

My VM rant: My previous bill they worked out they owed me £1, tried to call them, on hold for 5mins so gave up. This month I was billed £2, take off the £1 they own me and i'll pay £1 this month. I'll wait until they work out they are wrong ... unless I've signed up for the 3 for nearly free offer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname View Post
    As a general question if I am on a 8mbit ADSL set up and I switch to another 8mbit ADSL would the speed be the same? Is VM ADSL just as slow as an any other are they not just flogging on the BT service - or can an ISP install their own equipment for ADSL or this that just for ADSL2?

you can use this to check which companies have a LLU at your telephone exchange

Samknows - Exchange search
    Last edited by j1979; 10-12-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks

When Virgin Media happened, Telewest & Nlt were merged (sort of) but Virgin.net is still separate from the merger. All adsl under the Virgin media branding is still separate from VM. It is impossible for someone to have cable TV and ADSL broadband from virgin media. Because Virgin.net only operate in non cable areas. they are a totaly separate company, that only has links because they are owned by the same parent company.
    I know its WP, but I am fairly sure it is correct
    Virgin Media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virgin.net operated as an Internet service provider (ISP) in the UK from November 1996 onwards. Once a joint venture between NTL and the Virgin Group, the ISP became wholly owned by NTL in 2004.[4] It sold a range of ADSL broadband packages through BT landlines to those living outside areas served by NTL's cable-television network. Virgin.net broadband customers could receive up to 8 Mbit/s downstream and 400 kbit/s upstream, with usage-allowances depending on which package the user took. Virgin.net also offered bundled phone-services via Carrier Preselect (CPS) to broadband subscribers. The service offered various usage-allowances depending on which package a user took. Virgin.net also offered subscription-based and subscription-free dial-up Internet access. Prior to acquiring Virgin.net, NTL offered a similar package called NTL Freedom.

On February 8 2007, the services provided by Virgin.net became integrated into the new Virgin Media brand.
    I'm sure you can find other references if you look about
    Although the fact that Virgin.net goes to Virgin Media's page says it all really
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

you can use this to check whick companies have a LLU at your telephone exchange

Samknows - Exchange search
    If an ISP offers you ADSL (so 8mbit or less) does it make any difference what equipment is installed in the exchange, will any of the ISP's give you the same speed. From samknows these boys below have equipment installed in my local exchange:
    O2 / Be: Enabled as of 31/12/2006
    C&W / Bulldog: Enabled as of 25/05/2007
    CPW / TalkTalk: Enabled
    Orange: Enabled as of 15/12/2005
    Sky / Easynet: Enabled as of 12/12/2006
    Tiscali: Enabled as of 25/07/2007

So for example can Orange offer a faster ADSL service than Sky or Tiscali - down the same phone line to my house?

And should I look forward to this date: 21CN PSTN switchover target: Q1 2009

Thanks

go with Be no question, if your line is 2.5km or less. samknows can also check line lengh.

if over 2.5km i dont know!

im with BE they are the best ive ever had. i get 13000 down and 1300 up 24/7. my line is just over 2km

or if your a O2 customer already o2 is the same service just cheaper version for O2 customers. (at least i think thats how it works)

Ohh and always remember when your ISP advertises on telly its time to move on! :-)
    Last edited by j1979; 10-12-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks
    • Phillikon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • BFG Nforce 680i SLi
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™2 Duo E6850
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ SLI 8500@1T
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb striped set Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTX XXX x2 in SLi / BFG Agiea PhysX card
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy DXx 1000w
      • Case:
      • Enermax Server Case CS-718BK
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2408h 24" HDMI
      • Internet:
      • BT Internet 8Mb Broadband, "so they tell me!"

I am a network infrastructure & Server engineer, and quite frankly the Stupid things they advise you to do on the helpdesks are unhelpful and at times ludicrous.
    Might sound good if you have no idea about networks though.
    The best line I have heard so far has to be. “Please wait while I clear the congestion on your line"
    I nearly fell about laughing when she said this.
    The biggest problem I found was that the Indian language doesn’t seem to have different terms for heavy line usage and line fault, as every time I told them the problem was contention all they wanted to do was check for line faults, they would then tell me over and over again that there wasn't a fault on my line.
    I gave up in the end for medical reasons.
    Life is like Computing, just when you get it all working properly, Bits need replacing

Thread Information