Thread: ADSL disconnecting at approx 9pm every day?

Mike Fishcake

ADSL disconnecting at approx 9pm every day?

Just had a call from my mum, who's with Zen ADSL in a rural area of Staffordshire.

For the past couple of weeks, her ADSL connection appears to be have been bombing out at approximately 9pm every day, unusable for the evening, but has re-appeared by the morning.

It's not a computer issue, because the Netgear router control panel shows it as 0 kbit up and down, or the router's connection light is flashing like it normally does when it's dialling out.

The connection, (although slow due to being a million miles away from the exchange) has been reliable for all the time she's had it... just under a year if I remember correctly. BTW, when I say slow, she normally gets about 500kbit, but on the occasional good day she might get 700ish. Woo!

She's been on the phone to Zen tech support, but they can't find anything their side... so, does anyone have any ideas what could cause a connection to fart out at the same time every day for the past couple of weeks?

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro

Re: ADSL disconnecting at approx 9pm every day?

BT being inept most likely..

FYI, when they test your line, they don't test end to end, only from the exchange to the last cab, so if something is borked between the cab and the house nothing other an engineer visit will help..

BT have a laundry list of things which can apparently knacker ADSL, anything from microwave ovens, to central heating systems, to fairy lights and CB radios in taxis..

The only way you'll get anywhere is if you raise a fault with Zen and refuse to close it, eventually it'll escalate high enough through BT's fault tracking and get picked up by someone with more than one brain cell...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Jay
    Thanks

a friend of mine had this once. It was a fax machine line testing at the same time every day.
    □ΞVΞ□

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Several things - as Jay mentioned, some form of line testing, but most likely interference from some source - particularly if the line conditions are marginal. I have read of a case where an electric fence installation caused problems. but the fact that something happens at the same time indicates that it is something on a timer. Typical things would perhaps be a central heating turning on, or an elecric motor (not an induction mtor) or a wireless transmitter. Even someone operating a hair drier (which users a different type of electic motor) could do it, although that would only be for a short time! (Unless they had very long hair!!). Farm machinery or an industrila plant opearting could do it.

Those are just some possible causes - tracking the actual cause is very difficult, although the repetitive nature might help.

Can you get any line stats from the router before and after the drop out? Are they very different and how do they vary? That might indicate if it is interference or an exchange problem. Zen have probably ruled out any problems on their network, but might be worth checking if they have escalated it to BT to see if they can investigate the line condition.

Sorry I can't suggest anything more practical.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Its also worth checking a few standard things...

Check that no ones added anything to the line? Any new kit without a filter?
    Are you using the master socket? If not give it a go around the time your getting the problem? Also try the test socket if you have one (unscrew the master socket to reveal it)
    Try another Microfilter on the modem / router.

Again as said above please post the stats of when the issue is occuring as well as when its not so we can take a look...
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H,Phenom II X4 960T Unlocked to X6, 8GB Corsair DDR3, OCZ 90GB SSD and Samsung 1TB HDD, HP LP2475w , HD5850 , SA-VE2M Speakers, Pioneer Amp

Mike Fishcake

Cheers for the advice - I haven't got the stats to hand as she lives about 30 miles away, but I'll make some suggestions to her and see what I can find out.

Registered+
    Thanks

I had this quite a few years back, it took quite some time, but was found to be the street lights ! There was one right by the pole and something was amiss (I never got a real answer other than the above) but it was the fact that it was off all night and that the time was advancing very slowly each day.

Another part of the problem was that the problem could never be found during the day.
    ASUS A7N8X nForce 2 AMD Tbred @2012 MHz, 2GB Radeon 9250 Win2000/slackware
    LG GSA-4167B - LiteOn SHM-165P6S & NEC ND-3550A Seasonic S12 - 4x Maxtor 200GB WD 74 GB
    - - - -
    DFI LP RDX200 CF-DR (12/23) Athlon 4200x2 (LDBFE@2.5GHz) Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Sapphire Radeon X1650XT 24Pipe
    2 GB G.SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ Raptor 74, Maxtor 200GB x2 Hitachi 320GB x2, Eclipse 62 Corsair HX 620, LG GSA H42N, Asus CRW-5232A, Optiarc DVDRW AD-5170A ViewSonic Professional P220F via KVM

Thanks
    • kmac's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2 Samsung F3 500GB each
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD4770
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu 82+ 525W
      • Case:
      • Lain -Li PC-7FN Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Prof 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M

Does it disconnect at 8 in the winter?

Thread Information