Thread: Windows Server 2003 network problems

Thanks

Windows Server 2003 network problems

Trying to configure a server onto my existing peer to peer small office network and struggling.

Existing set up is wireless ADSL router that delivers the DHCP IP Address's with Netgear switch going to 3 network printers (with fixed IP address's outside the DHCP pool) and 4 computers. The computers get their address as does laptops (wireless connection for laptops) via DHCP. All does/has worked fine with them operating on a workgroup.

So connected a HP G3 Proliant server to the switch and loaded windows 2003 following the Microsoft manual. Originally (last week) the server was named on the workgroup and I could see it on my desk PC. This week I tried to set the server up to allow remote access (which is the main reason for wanting th eserver in the first place) and presumably while I was doing this and by all the windows updates that seemed to be arriving the server became a domain controller.

Now I cannot see the server anymore on the network nor can the server see any of the other computers.

Tried to set up the printers on the server and it says that they cannot be found. Ip address's are ok as the desk PC's still print fine.

The server can access the internet ok which seems to suggest that it has a route through the switch and modem to outside.

Found that my modem (Belkin) might not support remote access tunnel so got hold of a Cisco 857 router. Have not installed this yet as I would have liked to get the server to see/do something first.

Searched on the web and found info on the TCP/IP settings where windows updates change the Net BIOS settings disabling them. Found this was the case with mine so set the Net BIOS again, but still no luck.

Also found article on setting up a domain controller and plodded through that setting IP address and the DNS servers (external) but again no luck with seeing the server on the network or printing. Also trying to follow Windows server 2003 by SAMs and Windows server 2003 for Dummies (very apt in my case!!) but seem to be going nowhere fast.

Jay
    Thanks

Re: Windows Server 2003 network problems

do you want it to be a DC or not?

If not use the dcpromo command
    □ΞVΞ□

blueball

Is your server using DHCP?

If it is then don't! Allocate a fixed IP from the reserve list from the routers scope.

Thanks

by "see" you are talking about name resolution.

when you set up active directory , you will have created a domain ( although I've yet to see a windows update that forces a dcpromo )

that domain will have its own local DNS zone , so workgroup name resolution wont really happen.

quickest workaround is probably to use host files , but you really are at a bit of a red pill blue pill situation , with one pill you reinstall 2k3 server and don't promote it to be a GC, and continue happily down the workgroup route.

with the other pill you will be setting up a domain , adding your workstations to it and progressing down the path of a managed IT system.

which is it to be ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Jay
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick View Post
    by "see" you are talking about name resolution.

when you set up active directory , you will have created a domain ( although I've yet to see a windows update that forces a dcpromo )

that domain will have its own local DNS zone , so workgroup name resolution wont really happen.

quickest workaround is probably to use host files , but you really are at a bit of a red pill blue pill situation , with one pill you reinstall 2k3 server and don't promote it to be a GC, and continue happily down the workgroup route.

with the other pill you will be setting up a domain , adding your workstations to it and progressing down the path of a managed IT system.

which is it to be ?

Why not just demote the server?
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Why not just demote the server?
    thats an option, but given the unknown setup , id be happier to start from scratch
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks

Thanks Guys

I think from what I have read that probably to bite the bullet and go for a domain. If I understood correctly using the server on a workgroup could have just been achieved with a standard PC acting as a fileserver, less grief perhaps.

Just put the Cisco router to one side as I can't get that going either through SDM, trying to avoid sorting the network out and thought this might be easy and give me immediate success!! but no!1

Ok back to the network issue. The info I have used for checking/config the domain is at link

http://www.visualwin.com/AD-Controller/

I have just had a look at my router and it is no longer showing the server in its DHCP list so it looks as if the server is running its own DHCP. I will see if I can find where this is set and turn it off. Also if I can set the server to a fixed IP address as suggested

Thanks

Set the server to a static IP as you would a PC

In terms of DHCP , you can either stop & disable the DHCP server service or remove the scope.

That guide , while it looks easy to follow , probably isn't showing you the full picture. I'd suggest getting hold of some further resources on 2003 Network Design.

If I come accross some more in depth guides. I'll post them up.

Thread Information