Thread: What kind of switch

handscombmp

What kind of switch

This is probaly a simple answer but what kind of switch do i need if i am to have lots of cable that aren't all meant to be on the same network.

For example in my new house build i'm going to have lots of etherent cable from around the house all come into the one room. (where the switch is going to be. )

Now a fair amount of the cable will be from things that need internet and normal network access so they just need to go on the main network.

But then i've got things like HDMI over ethernet which will want to go straight to the end point as they don't have any IP settings.

Am i making it more complicated that it is and i should just get a ethernet to ethernet connector.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Re: What kind of switch

You can't use an ethernet switch to switch HDMI traffic etc. I'm not sure what would happen if you plugged it in, but it's REALLY not a good idea.

You need to look at patch panels. Cables will be terminated in RJ45 sockets in the wall / rack, then you can run much smaller cables into your A/V distribution kit, ethernet switch or whatever...

3. Received thanks from:

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Ethernet is a communications protocol (well, for most practical purposes) which uses a varity of transmission media, but usually twisted pair cable - usually built to cat5e specifications.

Once you have cat5e installed you can use it to transmit digital video data (such as HDMI - which is another transmission protocol - but the two protocols are not mutually compatible. An ethernet switch will not switch t HDMI data. However you can transmit HDMI data over cat5e, either naively or by converting it to ethernet. The following two links (lifted shamelessly from an AV forum!) may be of use - but they are not products or techniques that I have any experience with.

http://www.hiddenwires.co.uk/resourc...060403-01.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-...-ethernet.html

As b0ordom says, you would be well advised to consider terminating the various cat5e cables in a patch panel for both neatness and versatility. A 24 way patch panel, populated with RJ45 sockets will cost from around £25 upwards, but you will need to consider some form of moubnting bracket for it.

This link may help - or at least point you in the right direction...

http://www.dcdi.co.uk/Cat5e-&-Cat6-/...p-147-148-537/
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

5. Received thanks from:

handscombmp

I didn't think it was a switch i just know when i've seen patch panels before they can look like them.

So from what i understand my wires from various points around the house are wired into the back of a patch panel (which is mounted somewhere. I'll probaly have mine in a case along with the switch etc.)
    Then if i want to have a cable from room 1, say, go to room two i put a small ethernet cable linking the sockets. Or to where i want that signal to go.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep, that's pretty much it! You can mount the patch panel on brackets, or y ou can use flush (or surface mount) standard socket outlet boxes with the appropriate face plates if you only have a few cables, but the patch panel is usually cheaper per socket. However the cases can be expensive and farly bulky, although you can also put an ethernet switch and or a modem/router in there as well, which can make for a neat installation. The wiring standard usually used in this country is T568B. (Defines which core colours go to which pin)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thread Information