Thread: Need a DNS expert

Thanks

Need a DNS expert

Now this is a good one!

My domain - stevekerrison.com doesn't always resolve properly. It seems that some ISP's DNS servers aren't storing it, or aren't able to find an authoritive server for it. I'm sorry, but I'm no DNS expert so I'm getting rather lost with it all.

Basically my host has another 47 websites on the server, and none of those customers have had any problems. However, me, and friends of mine with the same ISP, can't get onto it.

Also, a test on Hexus shows that some other people couldn't get onto it, but 75% could.

Right now, I've added one of BT's DNS servers to my list, so that I can easily get onto it - but I shouldn't have to do it.

So, to sum up:

- My site doesn't always resolve, particularly with my ISP.
    - Nobody else on my server is having problems.
    - Most of the world can get at it no problem.

What could it be? I think some sort of timeout issue on updating DNS information but where is the problem? With my host, my ISP, or somewhere in between?

Thanks,
    Kez.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Get them to check that all of the records are correct, then get them to change the serial number. This should force any servers that are caching the zone file to get a new copy.
    Simon

Thanks
    The only thing I can think off is that some ISP's DNS servers are takinglonger than the 72 hours to replicate.

a DNSstuff lookup shows.

DNS Lookup: stevekerrison.com NS record
    Generated by www.DNSstuff.com
    How I am searching:
    Searching for NS record for stevekerrison.com at a.root-servers.net: Got referral to L.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 53 ms]
    Searching for NS record for stevekerrison.com at L.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.: Reports ns1.redbackinternet.co.uk. [took 50 ms]

Answer:

Domain Type Class TTL Answer stevekerrison.com. NS IN 172800 ns1.redbackinternet.co.uk. stevekerrison.com. NS IN 172800 ns2.redbackinternet.co.uk.

To see the reverse DNS traversal, to make sure that all DNS servers are reporting the correct results, you can Click Here.

Demon Lookup.

Network Tools provided by Demon Internet

This tool will perform a number of basic DNS queries, explaining the [UNIX] commands it uses to do them, and what the results mean. If you wish to see the full DNS for a domain, click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    host -t ns stevekerrison.com.
    The NS (Name Server) records show which nameservers should have full information about this domain. If there are no NS records, the domain does not exist.

stevekerrison.com NS ns2.redbackinternet.co.uk
    stevekerrison.com NS ns1.redbackinternet.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    host -t soa stevekerrison.com.
    The SOA record (Start Of Authority) shows who owns, or is responsible for a domain; badly administered domains may not have an SOA record, however.

stevekerrison.com SOA ns1.redbackinternet.co.uk info.webhosting.uk.com(
    2004040101 ;serial (version)
    14400 ;refresh period
    7200 ;retry refresh this often
    3600000 ;expiration period
    86400 ;minimum TTL
    )

host -t mx stevekerrison.com.
    The MX (Mail eXchange) records control which hosts to send mail for this domain to. If there are no MX records, mail may only be used for sub-domains or individual hosts, or may not be used at all. For instance, there are no MX records for the domain ".com"

stevekerrison.com mail is handled (pri=0) by stevekerrison.com
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thread Information