Thread: DHCP & ICS troubles

Thanks

Unhappy DHCP & ICS troubles

I have a 2 machine network, both running ME. I recently had to reinstall windows on the Internet Connection Sharing host, and while I was working my way through this, I set up the ICS client to use its modem to connect, thinking I could easily reconfigure it back into an ICS client.

I was wrong.

I've been grinding at this problem for most of a week, and this is how things stand:

I have no trouble setting up the LAN so that each machine can talk to the other. I've uninstalled and reinstalled most or all of the communications components of Windows setup, and blown and reinstalled the network configuration stack a bunch of times. Currently, the host connects without any trouble, but the client can only ping IP addresses on the Internet -- no domain names, no other connectivity.

The Me help system on the client is not able to detect a DHCP server on the host, in spite of our doing what it said we should to make sure that the DHCP server does run on the host. Running winipcfg on the host, it does not show anything for DHCP on the host's NIC.

Furthermore, in spite of manually setting the client's default gateway to the IP address of the NIC on the host, the help system believes that the default gateway is not properly set.

We tried running AnalogX Proxy on the host as a replacement for ICS, but there is even less connectivity that way -- with Proxy, the client is not able to ping IP addresses on the internet, as it can with ICS.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
    Get the your ISP's DNS IP's and put them in - sounds like somethings up with DHCP, but if you set everything up manually on the client, including DNS servers, you should be fine. (If at the moment you can ping IP's on the net but not domain names, then that's your problem.)
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Registered+
    Thanks
    I'm not too hot with ME i'm afraid but I remember back in the days of using Win98SE ICS, the IP address of the host machine HAS to be 192.168.0.1 and the IP of the client can be 192.168.0.x. I can't remember there being any DHCP support in 98 tbh but as far I can remember, you just run the 'network connection wizard' (or a name similar to that) and fill out the details. Just remember that the host IP has to be that ip address above.
    - Dom

Thanks
    Check your virus software isn't running a firewall on your second PC e.g. pc-cillin. From experience, this will cause havoc configuring ICS.

Thread Information