Thread: Network Problem - Xbox, Modem, PC, 2 NICS

Thanks

Network Problem - Xbox, Modem, PC, 2 NICS

Ok this has just driven me up the wall for about two hours.

Basically the guy got Xbox live for his sons birthday, I thought he had a usb modem for his ADSL connection so I thought the most cost effective way of getting the Xbox connected was to get another NIC, cross over cable and just use ICS in windows...

Hasn't quite worked that way.

Turned out its one of those USB/Ethernet modem router things that the ISP supplied. No biggie I though it should still work. The net connection is coming through the router and into the PC via NIC #1 and the PC is getting its IP from the DCHP on the router, a ok.

Connected the Xbox to the second NIC hoping that it would get assigned the appropriate IP and settings via the DHCP to work first time. Nope. Tried statically setting a few IPs and setting the Router as the Gateway. No Cigar.

Ok well I figured it may be a waste of a NIC but try using the USB cable and just letting the damn thing act as a modem without utilising the router function. Upon connection it via the USB cable it proclaims it as a network connection so I can't set up a DUN for the ADSL and share that saving me a lot of hassle. That puts me back to square one.

I know there is a way to do this I'm just missing the probably very obvious!

My sneaking suspicion is that it's just a crap router. When I tried connecting the Xbox directly to the router it didn't even lit up the ethernet light. I also went home, brought up a 10mb hub to just use the router for what it was actually intended for and share the connection that way. Didn't light up either the router or the hub.

What are my options? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Try using the modem on USB from the PC, getting it connected that way and THEN use a bit of network cable into the ethernet port of the modem from the X-Box.

It sounds similar to a problem I had a while ago, couldn't get the modem to talk to a wireless router. After changing the router's IP address, I took that out of the loop, connected to the net through the modem, set it to always on (BT like ot ship them with 'dial on demand and kill after five minutes' as the default), then plugged the modem into the router's uplink and the PC into the router... All that was left was to tell the router where the gateway was and we were off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thread Information