Thread: Plus.net upgrades- confused

Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow
    Thanks

Plus.net upgrades- confused

I just got this emial from plus.net:

We would like to inform you that our previously announced Fair Usage policy takes effect from Thursday 14th April 2005.

What is Fair Usage?
    -------------------
    Fair Usage ensures that PlusNet broadband customers enjoy a fast and reliable service, by setting out what we consider to be sustainable for each product.

Check your broadband speed to see your Fair Usage:
    --------------------------------------------------
    512k - 30GB (except ADSL Home Surf - 22GB)
    1Mb - 50GB
    2Mb - 75GB

As well as your Fair Usage amount, you can also use up to 200 GB* extra every month by scheduling downloads between off-peak hours of 1-8AM.

For a full explanation of how Fair Usage works, please see our Fair Usage guide - http://portal.plus.net/features/usage_guide.shtml

Not sure how much you use?
    --------------------------
    If you are like most customers, you may only use a small amount of your product's Fair Usage. From 14th April you can check how much you use with the updated View My Broadband Usage -
    https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/

Kind regards,

Customer Support

PlusNet - The Smarter Way to Broadband
    http://portal.plus.net/

* extra usage based on 2Mb download speed
    I don't understand what is happening, it doesn't really mention anything about upgrading the speed of the line, which I thought they were doing. Can any please explain to me?

(I have a 512k line atm)

Thanks
    You've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Thanks
    I was told we will get an email about it sometime this month, then can go on their site to upgrade the line.

Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow
    Thanks
    I just found this on their website:

25. Do I have to ask for my speed upgrade or will this happen automatically?
    Your line will automatically be 'regraded' so that it can support the highest speed possible. To actually change to a higher speed you will

need to visit the portal and request the speed change.
    Still don't understand though.
    You've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    i *think* what they're doing is allowing ppl to upgrade past 4Mb/s on ADSL. So you will be able to pay them even more money for an 8Mb/s connection. w00t.

which i find a bit misleading since the original email about the speed increases seemed to imply that we'd all be getting our line speeds doubled for free.

And this "fair usage" policy, I personally find this deplorable. I signed up for an unrestricted service, i.e, NO limits of ANY sort on the amount of traffic I can use. If plus.net now find they couldn't actually afford to offer that service in the first place they should never have done and as far as I'm concerned it's their problem. I will continue to use the service as I have done since i signed up and if I go over their "limit" and get restricted I will view this as a breach of contract on their part and have my lawyer friend write them a letter.
    Last edited by 8bit; 12-04-2005 at 10:24 AM.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thanks
    Have a look on the plus net forums, theres loads of people who have posted this sort of thing. Basicaly for a 512 customer such as my self you line should be upgraded eventually to as fast as it will suport up to 2meg. In addition they have a 30gb acepable use limit. (for premier 512 customers) You can break this 3 months in a row with noting happening. On the 4th month if you break it they cap your line back to 128k for the rest of the month. Or give you the option up upgrade. eg 24.99 gives you 50gig or someting. For me this sucks as bt say my line is only 512 compatable. But if i can get meg soonish i wont bother moving.

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    ok i've changed my tune a bit - apparently my line is good for <= 2Mb/s which I'll get when they upgrade my exchange (sometime in 2031 if BT do their usual).

and the fair usage thing apparently this only covers download, not upload data and its not measured between 1am and 8am. for me this is fine, i normally kick my p2p client and any big downloads off when i go to bed and shut the machine down before i leave for work anyway. still not technically an "unrestricted" service tho...
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thanks
    Luck you. Hears hopaing ill be albe to get something faster than 521.

Thread Information