Thread: Ntl broadband

You've got red on you.
    Thanks

Ntl broadband

right, i'm on ntl, with their standard ntl modem thing, and the damn thing keeps turning off and restarting, leaving one or the other of the two lights which should be on (sync and ready) on and the other off or flashing for ages. i also have times where i lose virtually all bandwidth, so that under 1k/s goes through.

anyone seen this/know of it/know a solution/be sympathetic and curse ntl with me?
    Pirates = Win.

Thanks
    • Hottentot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 at 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • SSD + HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Case:
      • CM HAF 932 (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 2690WUXi
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb
    Hi
    Someone I know (Ha!) in Christchurch had a similar problem. The connected light would go off or start flashing about 6 pm everynight as the system got overloaded by people logging on. Went on for months. He demanded a refund (which he got)..
    Good luck with NTL customer service maybe they will get an engineer out to you quickly.

Thanks
    We've just had a supposed 'upgraded' 2MB service from NTL and all I can say is what a load of #$%@! Slower connections and more timeouts than we ever had on the old 750k service.

Customer service are not interested - they've certainly lost my custom now, after months of hassle. The engineer didn't turn up on any less than 3 occasions when booked in to do the STB swap out. No apologies, no customer service, no contact. How the hell do they get away with it?

You've got red on you.
    Thanks
    mmm, think i'll be advising my dad to drop ntl then, bit of a hassel but then again i move out in sept................but to a house where we're getting ntl phones and broadband, crep

ohwell, spose i'll just have to put up and swear about it, cheers guys
    Pirates = Win.

Thanks
    They've been doing a lot of network maintenance this week - re-balancing etc.
    it could be that.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    I'll keep you updated on how our connection goes over the next few days and if it improves. Otherwise I reckon its Bulldog, Zen or BT 2MB ADSL for me.

BTW what is re-balancing - I've seen it thrown around but never understood what it actually involves?

Thanks
    I would get an engineer out and see what they think, they're phone service is based in India (or somewhere nearby) tho.

Just to balance out the bad reports, I've been with NTL for over 3 years now and not had one problem From 1Mbps to 1.5Mbps and 3Mbps atm and I get a very fast connection

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    Well apparently we're on a 2MB connection

They said I would have to wait a month for an engineer. Sometimes I wonder who is the customer...

Bye bye NTL.. I've been a customer for 4 years now but you've lost me due to your shoddy customer service.

Xcelsion... In Disguise. Xaneden's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ever since I started with NTL, I 'lose connectivity' every so often. This means I have to restart the set top box, which is of course a hassle. The connection also shows the minimal 1kb/s you mentioned.

However, I've looked into this a bit, and NTL's official line is that the 'Pace' made set top boxes cause this. However, people who have other brand set top boxes get it too.

Therefore, some people have speculated that when you are uploading right up to top your connection allows, the box cuts out. This certainly seems true for me. It is also seems to be the same with people who use the modem.

Hope that helps
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    I'm still on my NTL:home 100 modem and the longest downtime I've had is about a day. But over the last few days~week around midnight and in the morning I have the "two lights" syndrome However, seems like (as mentioned above) there has been work carried out in my area recently!

For those that cant check the service status page on NTL's site, call: 0800 0524315 for a list of recorded messages about current issues

Thanks
    Sounds a lot like your signal levels are a bit dodgy. Check all the connections.
    This website has a lot of information including how to get the diagnostic information from your cable modem such as signal levels.
    If you have the same cable modem as me, click here to access its diagnostics.

It could be the amplifiers in your local cabinet overheating. It has been hot recently.

Rebalancing. Each area has a load of downstream channels and upstream channels. You can't choose which channel you're on, hence some get overloaded with people that abuse their connections and some remain very quiet. Rebalancing is a script run to move customers between channels, hopefully giving everyone equal performance. That website above does include a script to see what the channels are like, but apparently ntl don't like you running it.

Thanks
    @këö¬t thanx for the info.. I'm trying to get somw infor on our new style NTL Set Top Box. Nobody seems to have info on how to get to the diagnostics screen \s yet

Thanks
    see if they will give you a standalone modem rather than via set top box.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thread Information