Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which keyboard?

Ive got 10/40w for blood... THCi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Call me a keyboard hore but I've had loads of different keyboards and desktop sets in the past few years.

I've had:

-Bog std, several times. Some were ok, some went sticky after a week.
    -Memorex Wireless desktop set
    Mouse was good, keyboard was pants!

-Some AriaNet laptop keyboard and mouse set thing.
    Never again will I used a laptop keyboard when I dont have to.

-Microsoft Web Keyboard
    Good, but by this stage I'd grown used to media keys, but loud

-Microsoft Media Keyboard
    Better, still loud. Very nice, even months later.

-Microsoft Executive set
    This is the one with the Wireless explorer and leatherette padded wrist rest. Ive still got it, but the loudness of the keys started to grate after a while, the finish on the keys wears very, very quickly. Quality product otherwise though, old hat now though.

-Logitech MX5500 desktop set
    Never, and I mean NEVER, again will I have a bluetooth keyboard, it was that bad. I LOVE the mouse (actually have an MX laser to my right), and loved the zero degree tilit keyboard layout, hence:

-Logitech Media Keyboard
    Brilliant, had it about 6 months now. Good product, just about basic enough not to look cluttered. Getting a bit louder with the amount of mashing it gets from me, the key texture is only just starting to wear. The zero degree tilt is on this one as well.

And Im considering changing to the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000. Only thing thats holding me back is the 1-5 shortcut's on the top shortcut keys along the top-too invasive in thier usage.

The only problem I have with logitech keyboards and mice is the setpoint software. Why do I need a seperate application to do what could be done within the control pannel applets designated for these functions already? It makes little sence to me, why two different sets of code for one result?

My two pence: go for a WIRED logiteh or wireless without BlueTooth.

Thanks
    set point is all about control. It allows logitech to fill our computers with mindless spam. However, some of the button-filled mice, like the media centre mouse i'm using at the minute, have extra play and volume buttons, which need the software to run.

I would second the Media Keyboard, its great, and cheap

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THCi View Post
    And Im considering changing to the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000. Only thing thats holding me back is the 1-5 shortcut's on the top shortcut keys along the top-too invasive in thier usage.
    The popup you get if the key's not assigned to anything? That's annoying, but to be honest, I can't say I've pressed any accidently yet. If all you need is basic multi-media control, the you don't need to install the Intellitype software, as play/pause, volume and mute are all native Windows commands, as I expect are Calculator (which I never use) and back/forwards. Only the zoom I expect not to work.

The only thing I find is the F Lock key I must manage to press sometimes, but only occasionally.

As for Logitech Bluetooth keyboards, I was always happy with my DiNovo Media Desktop, and the mouse and mediapad still work fine (I killed the keyboard by trying to feed it coffee). No problems at all. The mouse has since been retired to be replaced by an MX Revolution, but it works fine.

Thanks
    I've got a Logitech G15 and wouldn't be without it. The G keys (for me, as a World of warcraft gamer) are brilliant. A good keyboard as well, really.
    This hot girl came over to myspace last night, she twittered my yahoo till I
    googled all over her facebook. Ask Jeeves...

System 1: Intel i5-2500k OC STABLE @5.05ghz with a ThermaTake Frio (air power!), 8Gb 1600 (9-9-9-24) R3 Patriot G2 RAM, nVidia GTX980TI ;
    System 2: HP N40L Microserver;
    System 3: MSI 'Ghost Pro' laptop - 16Gb DDR4 RAM, nVidia 970M, i7-6700, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD
    System 4: Samsung TAB S 10.1

Ive got 10/40w for blood... THCi's Avatar
    Thanks
    @gav, how do you find the MX Revolution? Been tempted myself by it.

Maybe Im a mouse whore as well...

Thanks
    You don't realise how great the G15 is until you use it. The screen's fairly pointless, but the macro keys are the best thing ever. Not just in games, but in anything. Does a certain character in Word need a complicated and pointless search to find it? Set up a macro for that key, and just use that! I thought it'd be gimmicky, but I've found so many uses for the thing that I really can't live without it now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THCi View Post
    @gav, how do you find the MX Revolution? Been tempted myself by it.

Maybe Im a mouse whore as well...
    Better than I was expecting to be honest. I only replaced my mouse (the MX900 from the DiNovo) because the batteries were dying too often, and decided to get something the best, or what I thought was.

The free-scrolling wheel is, put simply, brilliant. The only annoying thing is the slightly clunky, and a touch hit-and-miss nature of activating the free-scroll. I prefer not to have it on by default (though SetPoint will let you do that), and keep the notchy one normally, pressing the wheel button to activate free-scroll.

It's exceptionally smooth, much better than my already good MX900 on an Icemat v2.

Not much more to say really. If I was nit-picking, I'd say the back and forward buttons were a little difficult to press, the back button in particular. That really is nit-picking though.

Thanks
    • Daneel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Plus
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 21TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • WIndows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2415 24" 1920x1200
      • Internet:
      • 24/1.3Mb ADSL

Thanks
    So there a re few good raves about the Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard, but what about the origanal Saitek Eclipse?
    - I know the lights are fully dimable (just high/low/off), but i'd proberbly go for 'off' anyway.
    - But whats its like to type on? because if its as good, i might go for that, as i dont really like black keyboards.

Daniel

Thread Information