Thread: DS3P Ocing troubles.

Thanks

DS3P Ocing troubles.

I'm running a 4300 (stock HSF) on a DS3P and have managed to OC it to 3 GHz, 9x340. Which yeah is pretty good.

However, when trying to put my ram to the test by putting the multi down to 6, I still cant go above 340. The Ram is patriot ram from aria which is rated at 4-4-4 etc DDR2800. I expected that I would be able to run the RAM at 400 MHz like its specified for but that is way off. Even upping volts to 2.1 slacking timings off to 5 etc. Upping CPU volts to 1.45 made no difference.

I am getting tired of having to clear the cmos, has anyone got this mobo and had the same probs. Is it the RAM or Mobo? anyone any suggestions? The CPU according to the bios isnt even getting very hot at 3 GHz less than 40 degrees.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you are using a lower multi, try adding some extra voltage to the northbridge.

Is 2.1v the rams rated voltage? Some ram crumbles if you overvolt it, some crumbles when its not getting enough, so generally, using what is printed in the label on the sticks is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro View Post
    I'm running a 4300 (stock HSF) on a DS3P and have managed to OC it to 3 GHz, 9x340. Which yeah is pretty good.

However, when trying to put my ram to the test by putting the multi down to 6, I still cant go above 340. The Ram is patriot ram from aria which is rated at 4-4-4 etc DDR2800. I expected that I would be able to run the RAM at 400 MHz like its specified for but that is way off. Even upping volts to 2.1 slacking timings off to 5 etc. Upping CPU volts to 1.45 made no difference.

I am getting tired of having to clear the cmos, has anyone got this mobo and had the same probs. Is it the RAM or Mobo? anyone any suggestions? The CPU according to the bios isnt even getting very hot at 3 GHz less than 40 degrees.

Dunno if this is related but the latest bios combined with PCI-E seems to have a problem:-

More info

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

BTW if you are reading your temps from the bios I would suggest they are incorrect as running a 4300@3ghz on a stock cooler and only getting 40c...ermmmmm

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

Hmmm it seems from the link that people are having similar probs with the DS3P. I have the 3.3 rev which came with the F4 firmware and i have updated that but it made no difference.

I havent checked the ram volts yet but the ds3p set all ram to 1.8 V and seeing as mine is cheap ram with low latency i cant imagine it will be 1.8 V

I will play with it some more but i have the feeling that only a bios update is going to make it any better.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

cheers

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    You need to take out one of the sticks an check the voltage, that will eliminate that.

Run memtest on each stick, in all the slots for a good few hours each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    I've got a DS3P and run it with 2 x 1gb of Crucial DDR2 800 RAM, am not overclocking the RAM but it runs fine at 800MHz with timings set to 4-4-4-12 using the default 1.8v. I'm on the F5 BIOS. I had to manually set the timings else they reverted to 5-5-5-18 (I think).

What SPD values do you get when you run CPU-Z? What happens when you run the CPU at stock?

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet
    Thanks for the replies.

I will play with it some more but i have the feeling that only a bios update is going to make it any better.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

cheers

Well I couldn't use Clunk's excellent overclocking stickie as I am stuck on temperatures...........with say an E4300 it's so easy to overclock without doing much and pointless going further if you hit high temps. Or rephrasing:- with my experience the E4300 hit 3ghz easy but was unstable with orthos, but there was no point persuing stability, at that speed, if I was hitting 65c +.

Thanks
    I havent had a chance to play much on it yet and i havent even installed windows. I just wanted to OC it.

The ram is cl4 stuff at 2.2 V so I have to put a lot more volts through it. I dont think thats is my problem though as I have tried it at 2.2 already.

I really think its the mobo holding me back but im not sure what to do to it to get it above 340 MHz..

What sort of volts should I up on the chipset ones. I cant remember the names of them but i think there is a fsb option and a uDH (something like that) how much extra should I put max. Anyone any experience of getting more from upping those.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet
    I havent had a chance to play much on it yet and i havent even installed windows. I just wanted to OC it.

The ram is cl4 stuff at 2.2 V so I have to put a lot more volts through it. I dont think thats is my problem though as I have tried it at 2.2 already.

I really think its the mobo holding me back but im not sure what to do to it to get it above 340 MHz..

What sort of volts should I up on the chipset ones. I cant remember the names of them but i think there is a fsb option and a uDH (something like that) how much extra should I put max. Anyone any experience of getting more from upping those.
    erm you don't seem to care about ensuring temps are correct......you wont get far if the CPU or Ram are over-heating, anyway try using easytunes5.

BTW did a quick check 6X350 no probs but am running a PCI card, should get a x1950pro about thurs to check PCI express.
    Last edited by excalibur2; 29-05-2007 at 12:53 AM.

Thread Information