Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 19

Thread: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

  1. #1
    S1L3NT danroyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sussex
    Posts
    4,241
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked
    186 times in 153 posts
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

    Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    hey bought crysis got it installed yesterday and today i noticed that when i start my pc up it starts checking the dvd in the drive as the os boots and it sounds like someone is doing etching work to the disc in the drive.

    it also does this in windows if i open then close the drawer or if i start the game.

    not had this issue with any other discs that i can think of

    dvd drive is maybe 8 months old and is a lite-on 20x dvd rewriter lightscribe drive IDE

    anyone had same issue is it Ea using Cheap nasty discs again? or a fault coming on the drive itself


    thanks for any help Given


    Also Takes about a Mnute for the autorun to kick in


  2. #2
    Squirrely tigerboyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oxfordshire or Hertfordshire(uni)
    Posts
    2,013
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked
    110 times in 77 posts
    • tigerboyce's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe/OC Palm
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8Ghz + Titan Fenrir
      • Memory:
      • 6gb (3x2) OCZ Reapers DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 690gb total WD caviars
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 320mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E228WFP 22"
      • Internet:
      • aol :/

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    Mine does it too, was rather worried about wft was happening, but it seems to be fine after it stops..

  3. #3
    S1L3NT danroyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sussex
    Posts
    4,241
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked
    186 times in 153 posts
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerboyce View Post
    Mine does it too, was rather worried about wft was happening, but it seems to be fine after it stops..
    cheers was worried my dvd drive was on the fritz must be cheap nasty Discs then good old Ea


  4. #4
    HEXUS.social member Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19,158
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    1,604 times in 1,043 posts

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    You have SecureROM to thank for that guys....
    Remember, those that downloaded it with a crack wouldn't have this issue .....when will they learn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

  5. #5
    Mostly Me Lucio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tring
    Posts
    5,163
    Thanks
    443
    Thanked
    448 times in 351 posts
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    I don't get it, why bother with any disc based security, it only annoys those that have paid good money for their products. Ultimately anyone who wants to get around it, will and you're left with a bunch of annoyed people who expect a PC game to work like a console game.


    I can understand software registration and online activation, once complete, those go away and leave the user with a clean experience and are no less crackable than disc based technologies.

  6. #6
    Master Browser PeteSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked
    45 times in 42 posts
    • PeteSmith's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB 8500 Crucial Ballistix
      • Storage:
      • System: Crucial 128GB M4 SSD Storage: 2x500GB WD5000AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 650
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    If game companies and developers were to stop putting copy protection techniques on new PC games we would soon not have any new PC games to play at all, the PC gaming market is already on its knee's due to piracy of PC games and consoles stealing the market. We should be thankful game developers have not completely abandoned the pc as a viable platform altogether. I for one can't stand console gaming and would deeply miss playing games on my PC if this were to happen.

    That said, if PC gaming was to become a thing of the past the piracy scene would certainly impact much more onto other platforms, so no gain really.
    Main PC : Abit IP35-Pro | Q6600 G0 @ 3GHz | 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 8500 | MSI N460 GTX HAWX | 1 x Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Antec 182 | Corsair HX620 | Dell 2407WFP-HC | Windows 10 x64
    Server : HP MicroServer N40L | 16 GB RAM | 4 X 1 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 | ESXi 6.0 NAS : Synology DS-408 - 4 x 3GB WD RED HTPC : Acer Revo RL70 | LibreElec

  7. #7
    Senior Member UltraMagnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,025
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteSmith View Post
    If game companies and developers were to stop putting copy protection techniques on new PC games we would soon not have any new PC games to play at all, the PC gaming market is already on its knee's due to piracy of PC games and consoles stealing the market. We should be thankful game developers have not completely abandoned the pc as a viable platform altogether. I for one can't stand console gaming and would deeply miss playing games on my PC if this were to happen.

    That said, if PC gaming was to become a thing of the past the piracy scene would certainly impact much more onto other platforms, so no gain really.
    yeah, and disk protection has REALLY stopped piracy...

    and there is quite a bit of piracy on consoles... maybe not as much as on pc, but it is incredibly easy to pirate on consoles

  8. #8
    Master Browser PeteSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked
    45 times in 42 posts
    • PeteSmith's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB 8500 Crucial Ballistix
      • Storage:
      • System: Crucial 128GB M4 SSD Storage: 2x500GB WD5000AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 650
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMagnus View Post
    yeah, and disk protection has REALLY stopped piracy...

    and there is quite a bit of piracy on consoles... maybe not as much as on pc, but it is incredibly easy to pirate on consoles
    I think you missed my point, i never claimed disc protection has stopped piracy, i was merely suggesting if developers were to stop trying to think of new ways to stop game piracy they would more than likely abandon the dwindling PC platform entirely.
    Main PC : Abit IP35-Pro | Q6600 G0 @ 3GHz | 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 8500 | MSI N460 GTX HAWX | 1 x Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Antec 182 | Corsair HX620 | Dell 2407WFP-HC | Windows 10 x64
    Server : HP MicroServer N40L | 16 GB RAM | 4 X 1 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 | ESXi 6.0 NAS : Synology DS-408 - 4 x 3GB WD RED HTPC : Acer Revo RL70 | LibreElec

  9. #9
    No-one's Fanboi Thorsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Neverneverland
    Posts
    2,749
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked
    93 times in 92 posts
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    Online games have no excuse because using a code works far better. I can see that SP games might warrant such protection. Problem is that the Pir8s always crack them anyway, and it's only the innocent customers who suffer.

  10. #10
    HEXUS.social member Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19,158
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    1,604 times in 1,043 posts

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteSmith View Post
    If game companies and developers were to stop putting copy protection techniques on new PC games we would soon not have any new PC games to play at all, the PC gaming market is already on its knee's due to piracy of PC games and consoles stealing the market. We should be thankful game developers have not completely abandoned the pc as a viable platform altogether. I for one can't stand console gaming and would deeply miss playing games on my PC if this were to happen.

    That said, if PC gaming was to become a thing of the past the piracy scene would certainly impact much more onto other platforms, so no gain really.
    I disagree entirely. Anyone can spend 30 seconds on Google and find a hack / patch for a copied game. Disk based protection has not stopped this in the slightest. Even if you take the "copying it for a mate" scenario, how many PC gamers are able to update their system with the latest drivers and patch their games (official patches), yet are not able to find the most basic information on Google about copying disks?

    PC gaming as we knew it is largely dead. Just look at all the recent releases....
    Bioshock...360 / PC
    Gears of War...360 then PC
    Unreal Tournament 3....Entirely built around the consoles then just ported to the PC
    Call of Duty 4...PC and 360
    etc....

    What I find more annoying is the games that go from console to PC.

    Is it mostly because of piracy? I'm not so convinced, although I'm sure it hasn't helped (remember, if all those protections had an impact, piracy wouldn't be an issue, right?)

    *Firstly, console SDK's and development environments have come a long way in the last few years, making them much easier to develop for.

    *Secondly, the compatibility with hardware / software issue goes out of the window.

    *Thirdly, consoles have a much bigger user base (A £200 console vs yearly PC upgrades?)

    *Fourthly, company's can get big money for console based exclusives

    In case anyone hasn't guessed, I think consoles have had much more of an impact on the market over piracy

    As for piracy on consoles? I have to be honest and say that I'd struggle to name one person I know who didn't have a modded Xbox (original) or a chipped PS1 for example. Arguably more people might use pirate copies on consoles due to the retail cost of the games (usually more than PC).
    Its also makes 'sense' to pirate on a console due to the economies of scale.
    Take a 360 for example. Cost to get it modded? About £30 from your local dodgy dealer? Take the cost of games for it on the high-street and online - about £30-£50 for a new release depending on where you go?
    That means it only takes the cost of about one game for you to break even the cost of the console modification. For someone who doesn't want to buy games, its a no brainer.
    Take a worse case scenario - The console breaks. If you have brought / played / completed around 4 £50 games, that's the cost of a new core machine. You're still quids up. And all this is still cheaper than upgrading a PC yearly.

    A game on the PC is rarely popular for more than a year, and that's being extremely optimistic. After that, what happens when new hardware comes out, new software (Vista and Service packs for example) that the copy protection doesn't work with? Yeah....that hard earned cash you spent on the game is wasted because its incompatible. Games rarely get patches at times like this.

    In my opinion the death of PC gaming is much more simple:

    *Consoles are cheaper, easier, have more users and have the chance for good pay offs from MS / Sony for exclusives.

    *PC gamers want more innovation than console users. Why bother thinking up a new game concept if you can just take a current one, re-skin it and sell it to the masses?

    *You don't need on going support. Once the game is shipped, that's it.

    *Retailers make the majority of the profit out of a game most of the time (despite a lot of people thinking its the publishers). This needs to change. Steam is a step in the right direction but is still well over priced (due to the high-street retailers threatening to cut off company's that under-cut them on services like Steam)

    There is more, but you get the idea I'm sure

    edit - Most of this post wasn't aimed at you directly Pete, just the top part. I just always go off on a rant on subjects like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    524
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    I wonder how much money the games companies would save by not paying to implement a copy protection scheme, that anyway is usually broken before the game is even in the shops.

    Galactic civilizations 2 had no copy protection, but has still been hugely successful.
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming. i5-6500. 16gig Ripjaw 2400. Samsung 950pro NMVe 250gig. GTX Titan. Enermax MaxPro 600W.



    939 3800 X2 | 2gig corsairXMS 3200C2
    1950XT | 500gig,320,200,160
    Plextor DVD burner | Yamaha CRW-F1 CD-drive
    Thermaltake Xaser 3 w 480W FSP | X-fi fatal1ty

    Things have moved on since I first joined...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    2,595
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked
    106 times in 94 posts

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    My DVD also does this. When I first put it in the drive I thought the DVD was knackered, I was just about to take it out and the autorun menu came up. It just sounded like it was looping, trying to read the DVD. It works fine though, as you would expect.

  13. #13
    Squirrely tigerboyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oxfordshire or Hertfordshire(uni)
    Posts
    2,013
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked
    110 times in 77 posts
    • tigerboyce's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe/OC Palm
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8Ghz + Titan Fenrir
      • Memory:
      • 6gb (3x2) OCZ Reapers DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 690gb total WD caviars
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 320mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E228WFP 22"
      • Internet:
      • aol :/

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    but its incredibly annoying...

  14. #14
    0iD
    0iD is offline
    M*I*A 0iD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Happy Llama Land
    Posts
    13,247
    Thanks
    1,435
    Thanked
    1,209 times in 757 posts
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    I disagree entirely. Anyone can spend 30 seconds on Google and find a hack / patch for a copied game. Disk based protection has not stopped this in the slightest. Even if you take the "copying it for a mate" scenario, how many PC gamers are able to update their system with the latest drivers and patch their games (official patches), yet are not able to find the most basic information on Google about copying disks?

    PC gaming as we knew it is largely dead. Just look at all the recent releases....
    Bioshock...360 / PC
    Gears of War...360 then PC
    Unreal Tournament 3....Entirely built around the consoles then just ported to the PC
    Call of Duty 4...PC and 360
    etc....

    What I find more annoying is the games that go from console to PC.

    Is it mostly because of piracy? I'm not so convinced, although I'm sure it hasn't helped (remember, if all those protections had an impact, piracy wouldn't be an issue, right?)

    *Firstly, console SDK's and development environments have come a long way in the last few years, making them much easier to develop for.

    *Secondly, the compatibility with hardware / software issue goes out of the window.

    *Thirdly, consoles have a much bigger user base (A £200 console vs yearly PC upgrades?)

    *Fourthly, company's can get big money for console based exclusives

    In case anyone hasn't guessed, I think consoles have had much more of an impact on the market over piracy

    As for piracy on consoles? I have to be honest and say that I'd struggle to name one person I know who didn't have a modded Xbox (original) or a chipped PS1 for example. Arguably more people might use pirate copies on consoles due to the retail cost of the games (usually more than PC).
    Its also makes 'sense' to pirate on a console due to the economies of scale.
    Take a 360 for example. Cost to get it modded? About £30 from your local dodgy dealer? Take the cost of games for it on the high-street and online - about £30-£50 for a new release depending on where you go?
    That means it only takes the cost of about one game for you to break even the cost of the console modification. For someone who doesn't want to buy games, its a no brainer.
    Take a worse case scenario - The console breaks. If you have brought / played / completed around 4 £50 games, that's the cost of a new core machine. You're still quids up. And all this is still cheaper than upgrading a PC yearly.

    A game on the PC is rarely popular for more than a year, and that's being extremely optimistic. After that, what happens when new hardware comes out, new software (Vista and Service packs for example) that the copy protection doesn't work with? Yeah....that hard earned cash you spent on the game is wasted because its incompatible. Games rarely get patches at times like this.

    In my opinion the death of PC gaming is much more simple:

    *Consoles are cheaper, easier, have more users and have the chance for good pay offs from MS / Sony for exclusives.

    *PC gamers want more innovation than console users. Why bother thinking up a new game concept if you can just take a current one, re-skin it and sell it to the masses?

    *You don't need on going support. Once the game is shipped, that's it.

    *Retailers make the majority of the profit out of a game most of the time (despite a lot of people thinking its the publishers). This needs to change. Steam is a step in the right direction but is still well over priced (due to the high-street retailers threatening to cut off company's that under-cut them on services like Steam)

    There is more, but you get the idea I'm sure

    edit - Most of this post wasn't aimed at you directly Pete, just the top part. I just always go off on a rant on subjects like this
    Interestingly, there's an article on the Beeb on this subject
    BBC NEWS | Technology | Pushing the PC gaming boundaries
    Quote Originally Posted by The BBC
    The PC remains a big player in the games market but in recent years its cutting edge has been blunted.
    And yes, annoyingly my Crysis DVD is noisy too
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    269
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts
    • Rishi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 2.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB - PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB Maxtor 16MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • None :(
      • PSU:
      • hmmm :/
      • Case:
      • Black - Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" TFT 8ms
      • Internet:
      • Orange (I think!)

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    *Firstly, console SDK's and development environments have come a long way in the last few years, making them much easier to develop for.
    Pretty much summed it all up in that point "Less" work and potentially more money.
    .: Rishi :.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,308
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked
    289 times in 201 posts

    Re: Crysis Dvd Making Strange Noises!!

    I hate disks that you have to have in the drive, why not have some sort of account that checks you've bought the game instead of an old outdated disk check method, annoys the crap out of me, especially at LAN's where you have to carry your disks with u where they can be lost or scratched, much prefer to install the game and then put the disk away in a safe place.

    NoCD-Patch ftw tbh..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. help computer making strange sound
    By hero87 in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 06:14 PM
  2. Hard Drive Making a Slighlty Strange Noise
    By BenW in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-02-2005, 08:45 AM
  3. DVD movie making software
    By littlewill in forum Software
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-01-2005, 05:10 PM
  4. making a DVD recorder stlye PC
    By petrefax in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-09-2003, 12:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •