• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 223BW
      • Internet:
      • What's the internet?

Hiper Media Build

Hi Guys,

I've bought a hiper media case but I'm having trouble speccing a system to go in it. I have already built a system once, but I didn't realise till after I built it that it doesn't have s-vid out on the on board graphics. I used the following comps:

Hiper Media Chassis
    Pentium Dual Core E2160
    2 GB PC6400 Ram
    Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard
    I have a Hauppauge Nova T 500 card to go in, but I can't find a PCI riser card anywhere for sale. Eclipse claim to have one, but the illustration is very different to the one on the hiper website, and if it looks like the one on the eclipse website, won't fit.

As far as I can see I have 2 options, buy a PCI-E riser (again, seems hard or impossible to find), and a 2400pro to connect the tv to (I only have a CRT), then buy 2 USB tuners (not ideal).

Or, buy a motherboard that has S-Video out and continue to try to find the pci riser card. This would be a pity as the Gigabyte board seems quite good, despite only having single channel memory. I would be happy to change to a G33 chipset board, if I could find a good one with S-Video output.

So I guess the questions are:

1. Which is the best way to go? I'd rather not split my aerial lead, the signal is rubbish already, so any suggestions would be great.

2. Where can I get Hiper media riser cards from?

3. What USB tuners do people recommend? The Hauppauge Nova T 500 PCI card is great, so I'd be inclined to go with the NOVA T USB sticks.

3. On another note, does anyone know of an LGA775 cooler under 35mm tall and not too noisy? I'm using the stock intel cooler with the fan removed at the moment. It works ok but it does get very warm (but totally silent )

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris
    I own a PC that changes regularly, so I don't bother putting anything in here...

Confused...
    Thanks
    • hotpurple's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair XMS PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 640 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4850 Passive
      • PSU:
      • 580W Hiper
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 223BW
      • Internet:
      • What's the internet?

Re: Hiper Media Build

Just found this.

http://forums.hexus.net/small-form-f...a-chassis.html

The linitx stuff looks interesting and plausible for PCI-E and PCI riser cards, so that's one problem solved. I just need to find a decent integrated graphics board with S-Video output now.

Chris
    I own a PC that changes regularly, so I don't bother putting anything in here...

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi, did you get to
    Hiper Hi-Performance Cases - XCASE No1 For pc computer cases, atx cases & rackmount cases
    for the risers?
    They seem to have all types in stock at the moment, which is rare!

As for the motherboard, I agree they're very difficult to find with tv-out on the main board now.

I ended up using the pci-e riser with a geforce 8600GT (with extra cooling), and the mothboard I got, did have tv-out & hdmi out, but it was on a riser board, so would have filled the only space left anyway!

Confused...
    Thanks
    • hotpurple's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair XMS PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 640 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4850 Passive
      • PSU:
      • 580W Hiper
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 223BW
      • Internet:
      • What's the internet?

Be wary of XCase, they claim to have them in stock, but it took them over 3 weeks to deliver mine, the communication was terrible and the overall feel I got from them was one of terrible customer service.

I got a pci-e riser from linitx, it is a bit too small, the riser sits in the motherboard with the contact only just touching, but it does work.

I used an HD2400pro with passive cooling for the gfx. The TV out is absolutely top notch, much better than my old 9800pro AIW. It does get a bit warm though! I bought a couple of quiet 40mm fans from Kustom PCs and fitted them to add a bit more air flow through the case with minimal extra noise. I have one blowing over the hard disc and one blowing hot air out of the top vent over the gfx card. It does seem to have helped quite a lot. I now have a very fast media pc with low noise and loads of hard drive space.

As the TV resolution is so low as well, the 2400pro is quite capable of some decent gaming! Bonus!

Chris

Thread Information