• Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

Molex pins suck...

Good day Hexonians... hope your Saturday is going along swimmingly

I'm going a little batty trying to do a bit of cable 'customisation'; basically I want to put black braiding over the exposed colored wires of my ATXPWR1 and ATX12V1 extender leads (so they match the already braided cables of my PSU... I'm wanting to put 3mm braid over each wire (so that's 32 wires in total )

What's the easiest blingin way to extract the individual wires from the blingin molex blocks??? I bought an AC Ryan Molex extractor tool after reading a few posts on the web that said it was the best tool for the job, but the one I've got is totally hopeless (or I don't know how to use it ) I've managed to break the smaller metal pipe thingy, so it's useless to me anyhow now!

So, what's the easiest way to extract these pins??

As an aside, does anyone know if there's anything special that distinguishes the AC Ryan tool from a cheaper generic/non-branded one? I paid 6 quid for mine (which has now broken!); looking around on the web it seems that a generic version (that looks exactly the same as the one I received) only costs around 2-3 pounds? I'm wondering if the etailer has basically ripped me off by substituting the cheaper tool?? Does anyone know if AC Ryan Toolz come in branded packaging etc?

cheers

Honored
    Thanks
    • ackrite26's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo E6550 w/ Zalman CNPS8700NT
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC5300 w/ Enzotech Pure Copper Heatspreaders
      • Storage:
      • 1* 36Gb WD raptor/1* 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint HD501LJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • 425W Enermax MOD82+
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SGO2W
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" Flatron
      • Internet:
      • Cable - 4Gb

Re: Molex pins suck...

Hi,

Ive modded and customized nearly all the cables in my case - it takes time an patience.
    If you think molex pins are hard to remove then try some ATX pins!

Basically the AC Ryan tool is cheap and crappy but there isnt much else on the british market (I bought a sunbeam kit from US which is far better quality).

With a bit of fiddling it is still possible to use the AC Ryan one. Basically you just insert the molex pin into the 'small metal pipe thingy' gently move in a circular motion to bend the metal pins inwards, then the wire should just pull free. If you force it it will either pull the molex pin off or snap the metal 'latching' pins and do you have a crimp tool and extra pins??

After all this I think I have a couple AC Ryan and maybe a vantec one lying around I could send you??
    Uni Rig:
    Intel Core2Duo E6550 w/Zalman CNPS8700NT | Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35 | 4x1GB Cruicial BallistiX PC2 5300 w/ Enzotech DDR-C1 | Sapphire HD 4850 512Mb | 36GB WD Raptor OS | 320GB WD WD3200AAKS | X-Fi Elite Pro | Silverstone SUGO SG02 | Enermax MODU82+ 425w | XP Pro

Home Rig:
    **Under Construction** | 160GB Seagate Barracuda | Coolermaster Wave Master [Modified] | Coolermaster Real Power Pro 450w | XP Pro

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DHX
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • 650W Be Quiet Dark Power PRO
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

Hi Ackrite. Funny you should say that about the AC Ryan tool vs the Sunbeam tool, I read pretty much the exact opposite in my searches around the foums I bought the AC Ryan one over the Sunbeam kit because of it... the single tool was £6 whilst a 4-peice Sunbeam kit was £9, maybe I should've gone with that... I've broken the tool I bought anyhow, going to send it back and see if I can write it off to Royalmail and get a refund doubt it though...

Do you know if there's anything distinguishing about the AC Ryan tool? The one I received just came in a plastic pouch with 'Made in China' and 'OKGEAR TOOL-4' written on a sticker... no mention of AC Ryan at all which makes me suspicious I've recieved the cheaper generic version?

I'm not at all familiar with the different electrical connections unfortunately... I assumed I was dealing with Molex pins, but maybe they're actually ATX? The cables are for the ATXPWR1 & ATX12V1 points on my motherboard, which would these be?

Just realised I'm going to need to buy a heat gun as well... didn't think this through too well Any particular models you'd recommend for cutting braid and shrinking heat tubing?

cheers

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

I always use a (very) tiny flat-head thumb screwdriver to extract module pins, it works a treat for everything from fan headers to molex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Honored
    Thanks
    • ackrite26's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo E6550 w/ Zalman CNPS8700NT
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC5300 w/ Enzotech Pure Copper Heatspreaders
      • Storage:
      • 1* 36Gb WD raptor/1* 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint HD501LJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • 425W Enermax MOD82+
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SGO2W
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" Flatron
      • Internet:
      • Cable - 4Gb

Quote Originally Posted by tensim View Post
    I'm not at all familiar with the different electrical connections unfortunately... I assumed I was dealing with Molex pins, but maybe they're actually ATX? The cables are for the ATXPWR1 & ATX12V1 points on my motherboard, which would these be?
    Whoah, they are ATX pins. lovely.
    They are all 'molex' pins but you then get diff types.

Funny you should say that about the AC Ryan tool vs the Sunbeam tool, I read pretty much the exact opposite in my searches around the foums I bought the AC Ryan one over the Sunbeam kit because of it... the single tool was £6 whilst a 4-peice Sunbeam kit was £9, maybe I should've gone with that... I've broken the tool I bought anyhow, going to send it back and see if I can write it off to Royalmail and get a refund doubt it though...
    Which tool were you using?

Molex ATX removal tool

or

Molex Male/Female removal tool

I went through two of those AC Ryan ATX removal tools (1st link) and was almost about to give up and make my own until I used the sumbeam kit. Would like to read those reviews you were looking at.

Do you know if there's anything distinguishing about the AC Ryan tool? The one I received just came in a plastic pouch with 'Made in China' and 'OKGEAR TOOL-4' written on a sticker... no mention of AC Ryan at all which makes me suspicious I've recieved the cheaper generic version?
    I think that OKGear must be a generic brand AC Ryan use, my AC Ryan tool came in an AC Ryan molex kit (two tools + molex connectors) with AC Ryan packaging but looked and felt cheap. It only cost me about a fiver though

Just realised I'm going to need to buy a heat gun as well... didn't think this through too well Any particular models you'd recommend for cutting braid and shrinking heat tubing?
    I personally use a butane soldering iron which comes with hot knife and hot air blower attatchments. Needed a soldering iron, hot knife and blow gun and found it really cheap at the time, more than enough for my needs.
    Uni Rig:
    Intel Core2Duo E6550 w/Zalman CNPS8700NT | Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35 | 4x1GB Cruicial BallistiX PC2 5300 w/ Enzotech DDR-C1 | Sapphire HD 4850 512Mb | 36GB WD Raptor OS | 320GB WD WD3200AAKS | X-Fi Elite Pro | Silverstone SUGO SG02 | Enermax MODU82+ 425w | XP Pro

Home Rig:
    **Under Construction** | 160GB Seagate Barracuda | Coolermaster Wave Master [Modified] | Coolermaster Real Power Pro 450w | XP Pro

Thread Information