Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 25

Thread: My air cooling setup

  1. #1
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    My air cooling setup

    Here's what I've decided on getting for my aircooling rig... Purpose of thread: to get feedback, mostly positive (I hope)

    Case: Silverstone TJ07B-W Black Aluminium Full Tower Case with Window ATX/E-ATX/SSI

    Fans: included with TJ07B

    Extra Fan: Scythe KAMA-BAY Black System Cooler 120mm Fan...

    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

    Controller: MCubed T-Balancer bigNG

  2. #2
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Well before I give feedback (mainly positive.. kinda) have you already bought this? lol

    Main concern is the CPU cooler which is an i7 cooler by the looks of things and i seem to remember you are not getting i7.

  3. Received thanks from:

    Robscure (29-11-2008)

  4. #3
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    Well before I give feedback (mainly positive.. kinda) have you already bought this? lol

    Main concern is the CPU cooler which is an i7 cooler by the looks of things and i seem to remember you are not getting i7.
    lol good looking out,


    But, fortunately, I'm not THAT stupid, and I've done my research on all of my parts and had second opinions, and I know what I'm getting... no I haven't purchased yet... and yes I'm upgrading to i7 and that's why I chose this, it's the best i7 cooler for its performance and quietityness (lol)


  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts
    • NeedMoarFarms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit Ip-35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.0gHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 2GB 5-5-5-15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital 7200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520WHX
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Syncmaster 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8mb

    Re: My air cooling setup

    You are buying an i7.... now ?

  6. #5
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Not sure I would bother with the controller tbh. seems like a bit of a waste when the mobo can control most fans and they should be quiet enough as it is. A cheap manual fan controller is always an option too.

  7. #6
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoarFarms View Post
    You are buying an i7.... now ?
    Yes, I decided to get an i7, because if I upgrade in the future, I would have to pay the same GROSS AMOUNT price as I would if I just bought it now.

    There's no difference. So I figured I'll just do it now, it's only a few hundred extra total to upgrade to top quality mobo and ddr3.

    ... as for the controller, Mike... I am getting it for when I go watercooling. So I'm just getting it now because it's going to come in handy when I have the added radiator fans to control, etc...

  8. #7
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: My air cooling setup

    iiiiii.. gechya

  9. #8
    Folding Flunkie Webby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,323
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    245 times in 229 posts
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

    Re: My air cooling setup

    TRUE 1366 version!

    Wanders off to find a retailer that has some in stock...

    Oh well you cant have it yet as it is still waiting to be released

    You could always get the TRUE and the bolt through kit though £36 for the TRUE black £7 for the bolt through kit and a fan of your choice total cost ~£50

  10. #9
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post

    You could always get the TRUE and the bolt through kit though £36 for the TRUE black £7 for the bolt through kit and a fan of your choice total cost ~£50
    The other one comes with 2 very decent fans... decisions decisions.

  11. #10
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    TRUE 1366 version!

    Wanders off to find a retailer that has some in stock...

    Oh well you cant have it yet as it is still waiting to be released

    You could always get the TRUE and the bolt through kit though £36 for the TRUE black £7 for the bolt through kit and a fan of your choice total cost ~£50
    I don't understand what you just said. What is "TRUE" what is "TRUE black" what is the "bolt through kit"? What is this for? lol thanks


  12. #11
    Senior Member Dreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Leicester / York
    Posts
    1,500
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    40 times in 30 posts
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoarFarms View Post
    You are buying an i7.... now ?
    Bit-tech actually showed it's the best value for money system (so long as you are really hammering the CPU, if you are a gamer like me the 8400 is the best ).

    It looks ok, I'm not a fan of automatic controllers as they can be a bit fiddly to set up - I bought a Scythe Kaze Master which controls the 4 fans, reads temps and displays all info on an inobtrusive VDF. So would definately recommend to anyone else considering it.

    The only thing I would have liked extra for geek-factors is a power consumption read out. But you can just plug a load meter into the wall really.
    Dreaming

    C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB | | 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B | | Samsung 226BW 22"

  13. #12
    Senior Member Hicks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth-SouthWest
    Posts
    6,554
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked
    331 times in 287 posts
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

    Re: My air cooling setup

    £50 for a fan controller? I guess its auto matic but is it worth paying 5x as much to not bother setting the fans yourself? I never see the point in expensive fan controllers as they all do the same job except for some just have extra crap added. So far my hiyatek fan controller(up to 6 fans) from ebuyer is doing a damn good job and costs less then £10, only downside is the annoying LED in each dial but for a good saving its nothing.

    If you think about it, you pay more for I7 now instead of waiting since ram is going down along with cheaper motherboards will be in production, price cuts could happen and the cpu coolers will be much cheaper. Its your choice but id wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

  14. #13
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    £50 for a fan controller? I guess its auto matic but is it worth paying 5x as much to not bother setting the fans yourself? I never see the point in expensive fan controllers as they all do the same job except for some just have extra crap added. So far my hiyatek fan controller(up to 6 fans) from ebuyer is doing a damn good job and costs less then £10, only downside is the annoying LED in each dial but for a good saving its nothing.

    If you think about it, you pay more for I7 now instead of waiting since ram is going down along with cheaper motherboards will be in production, price cuts could happen and the cpu coolers will be much cheaper. Its your choice but id wait.
    The thing is, if I don't buy the i7 now, then I have to buy a different processor, a different mobo, and different ram, because I don't have a Desktop PC, so I'm buying the whole setup right now... So rather than spend £250 on the afforementioned hardware, I'm spending more like £600-ish...

    Even if the i7 and mobo and ram all drop in price by £100 each, that will still cost me £300 in upgrades, which is £550 total... whereas I'm paying £600 now... So there's really no difference in price at all.

    And I am a gamer... but the 8400 will become obsolete as games start to utilize Quad, and I'd rather just have the mobo and ram that I need and update my CPU if it ever struggle, etc...

    I'm sure it will work out fine

    The reason I'm getting a controller is because my friend is good with watercooling and recommended the controller because having to adjust the dials can be annoying. This way, when my computer is idle then the fans won't run and I will save some energy... and when things get hot and need to be cooled, then the fans will cool them for me... so they work when I need them to, without having to pay them to work when I don't need them to.

    It's a long-term investment, just like my case...

  15. #14
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    Bit-tech actually showed it's the best value for money system (so long as you are really hammering the CPU, if you are a gamer like me the 8400 is the best ).

    It looks ok, I'm not a fan of automatic controllers as they can be a bit fiddly to set up - I bought a Scythe Kaze Master which controls the 4 fans, reads temps and displays all info on an inobtrusive VDF. So would definately recommend to anyone else considering it.

    The only thing I would have liked extra for geek-factors is a power consumption read out. But you can just plug a load meter into the wall really.
    I see you have the Samsung 226 monitor... how is that for gaming? I was planning on getting this LG L226, I read good things about it... with 3ms refresh it's said to have very little to no noticable shadowing during fast-action gameplay.

  16. #15
    Folding Flunkie Webby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,323
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    245 times in 229 posts
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Ah sorry TRUE = Thermalright Ultra Extreme and it is pretty much the best air cooler on the market.

    TRUE Black: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Therm...S775-AM2-(all)
    Bolt through kit: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Therm...6-Motherboards makes it possible to mount the cooler on the larger socket

    For some figures on an i7 920 look here http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?...hlbnRodXNpYXN0 only shows the CPU OCed to 3.8GHz but still gives you an idea of how well the cooler performs with the fan they used performance will vary with which fan you pick the faster the fan the better the cooling but they tend to be noisier. One of Thermalrights Fluid dynamic bearing fans or an S-Flex will be good

  17. #16
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: My air cooling setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Ah sorry TRUE = Thermalright Ultra Extreme and it is pretty much the best air cooler on the market.

    TRUE Black: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Therm...S775-AM2-(all)
    Bolt through kit: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Therm...6-Motherboards makes it possible to mount the cooler on the larger socket

    For some figures on an i7 920 look here http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?...hlbnRodXNpYXN0 only shows the CPU OCed to 3.8GHz but still gives you an idea of how well the cooler performs with the fan they used performance will vary with which fan you pick the faster the fan the better the cooling but they tend to be noisier. One of Thermalrights Fluid dynamic bearing fans or an S-Flex will be good

    Thanks a lot... Have you read reviews on my chosen cpu cooler? I think the one I have is good, I don't know how far away it is from TRUE but it's gotten good reviews... I'm not sure if I need TRUE, I plan on following strict guidelines for overclocking and not burning my cpu up with extreme levels of OC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 15 Quid For A Case Fan?
    By crazyfool in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 28-07-2008, 10:00 AM
  2. Water cooling flow & setup help.
    By Stephen C in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-06-2006, 04:43 PM
  3. 7900GT air or water cooling
    By b0redom in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 12:43 PM
  4. Water Cooling Setup Help, Pump Failure???
    By tkh in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 07:47 PM
  5. Cooling options -air vs water
    By starbuck in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •