Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help an amateur instlall a new graphics card?

Registered+
    Thanks

Can someone help an amateur instlall a new graphics card?

I bought one of these to upgrade my original graphics card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 2GB
    I'm having problems and puzzled.
    (1) I simply can't budge the original card. I've removed the backplate screw and pressed the white retaining clip downwards, although it popped out altogether due to me pushing too hard. But the card will not move a millimetre. Is it cemented in? How do I get it out safely?
    (2) I need to connect it to the power supply but the cables provided don't seem compatible in terms of the various sockets I can see on the power supply box. Also, the slot and the power supply are a foot or so away, so I need some kind of extension(s)?
    (3) Do I need one link to the power supply or two?
    (4) I don't know what the 'Cross Fire' bit bridge thingy is for (see pic)
    Here's a picture of all the stuff supplied:
    CardStuff.jpg

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Skyline; 10-09-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks
    • Bhazza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E Deluxe P45 Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • E8500 3.16 processor (runs at 4ghz @ 1.35v)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb OCZ 8500 ram
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 1TB Samsung F1 in RAID 0, 2 x Samsung Spinpoint 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1Gb Leadtek GTX280
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neopower 550w psu (actually deliverys 650w)
      • Case:
      • Lian Li 1010b
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell WFP 2408, Samsung LE40A686 HD LCD

Re: Can someone help an amateur instlall a new graphics card?

(1) What kind of computer is it? I assume it's not a self-build. I know some manufacturers used to glue certain components in, but I haven't heard of it for a while. Make sure there are no obvious signs of glue around the slot. Also make sure that none of the adjacent backplates or screws are contributing to the graphics card being stuck in place. Also, a little obvious, but make sure the original graphics card doesn't occupy two backplates and you've only unscrewed the one screw. It *should* be relatively easy to remove the card, so don't force it - if it's not moving at all, something's still holding it in place.

(2) The cables provided look like they attach to standard Molex power connector, such as the ones used on IDE hard disks and CD drives.

(3) It looks like you need 3 molex connections from the power supply. What PSU do you have, is it good enough to power the card?

(4) Cross fire is used to connect similar graphics cards together for increased performance. You don't need to worry about this.
    Last edited by Bhazza; 10-09-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    ...Thanks for breaking glass where my kids play...

Thanks
    • oolon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T6
      • CPU:
      • Xeon w3680
      • Memory:
      • 3*4GB Kingston ECC
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Intel G2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD6970 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P183
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate and Centos 5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimied 6 down/1.2 up

1) have you removed the cable for the existing monitor? Is the existing card two slots wide? Can you remove/insert other cards into your computer?
    2) So your need to use the adapter if your PSU does not have a PCIe power plug. Which also could be the exension.
    3) Does your card require 2 power inputs or just one PCIE? My one needs 4890 requires two! The two molex socket one might be for use on PSUs that have split power rails and can't supply the current down one of them. You probably should not connect the molexes on one line comming out of the PSU, as even if its a single rail design, the current could be too much for the wire. If one was enough there would not be two! Be careful about putting other things on the same power cable as the PSU, it might nto have enough juice on the rail if you do.
    4) Do you have a second card? No? keep it for when/if you do or sell it on ebay for a tenner. The Cross-fire cable is for joining multiple cards together to make a more powerful graphics card.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

+1 Bhazza.
    The first step will be check what power you can provide. If you can't provide power you might as well leave the old one in until we've sorted this out.
    At the back of the Card you can see two blocks for power input. One 8-pin and one 6-pin. What is your current card using ? What spare leads (if any) are there ?
    Can you post an picture ? Link to imgshack or similar ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Registered+
    Thanks

Whoa, thanks guys!
    Sorry, I forgot to say it's a full on Scan 3Xs system.
    Pictures are an excellent idea. I'll grab some lunch and re-post in an hour or so with pics of the innards as the presently stand.

Thanks

I bought one of these to upgrade my original graphics card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 2GB
    I'm having problems and puzzled.
    (1) I simply can't budge the original card. I've removed the backplate screw and pressed the white retaining clip downwards, although it popped out altogether due to me pushing too hard. But the card will not move a millimetre. Is it cemented in? How do I get it out safely?

First off power the rig down, unplug the power lead and hit the power button. This drains all power from the motherboard (MB).
    Remove all additional power plugs from the card.
    Unscrew the PCI brackets, small cards will have one bracket, larger cards have a dual PCI slot config and you'll need to remove two screws.

In this picture the PCI-e slot is blue. Yours may be different, same goes for the design of the retention clip at the end furthest from the I/O / rear of the MB. Release this clip.

The card may need a bit of a wiggle but should come away easily.

DO NOT FORCE IT OR YOU COULD BREAK SOMETHING !

(2) I need to connect it to the power supply but the cables provided don't seem compatible in terms of the various sockets I can see on the power supply box. Also, the slot and the power supply are a foot or so away, so I need some kind of extension(s)?

The card you referred to uses both a 6 and 8 pin additional power leads. Most reputable card manufacturers will add in a couple 4 pin molex to 6 / 8 pin adapters, yours has its in you picture. This is so if you PSU does not have these plugs natively you can still use the card.
    If your PSU is modular, aka has leads you can add to the PSU when required they will usually be labelled PCI-e and have the 6 / 8 pin plug on.
    If things dont reach you can use extensions cables, available on flee bay for a few quid.

(3) Do I need one link to the power supply or two?

The card you referred to requires two additional power sources. if you do not use both the card's fan will usually spin up upon start up then stop and a red led will be visible on the rear, PCI plate of the card. You won't have damaged it, it just wont work.
    Plug in all the power sources it needs and you'll be fine.

(4) I don't know what the 'Cross Fire' bit bridge thingy is for (see pic)
    Here's a picture of all the stuff supplied:
    CardStuff.jpg

A crossfire bridge is supplied so you can put two of these cards in Crossfire. You would need a Crossfire compatible motherboard and a second graphics card identical to your current one.
    In this configuration Windows uses both cards as a single graphics processor to give you improved performance in games or other graphically dependant tasks, folding etc.
    If you are not planning on Crossfire you do not need to use this but keep it in a safe place incase you do one day.

PS Don't be embarrassed about asking for help. We all need help and here is a great place to get it.
    Just be polite and you will be rewarded

Many thanks!

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok, in taking the photos I removed the blanking plate right next to the graphics card and it released the card! I hadn't realised that the card had two blanking plates - the second one being just for reinforement and therefore looked like it wasn't a part of the card. (Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it... (edit: k4p84, only just seen your post!)

All I need to know now (I think!) is how to connect my new card to the power supply, given that it's at the other end of the case. Below are some pics I've taken. The first is of the whole innards, showing the present card at the bottom of the picture (the card below that is a sound card) and the power supply is the black box top left. There then follows some closeups of the power supply. Could someone be kind enough to tell me which socket of the power supply is correct to receive a cable from the new card and what sort of extension assembly I need to buy? Many thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

Innards
    Power Supply_1
    Power Supply_2
    Power Supply_3

PS: My son used to help me with all this fettling but he's flown the coop now...

John
    Last edited by Skyline; 10-09-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Wow - I feel I should let Mr 84 answer from his quality post, but it looks like good news.
    You have both a modular power supply and a molex/PCIE adaptor. Your only problem will be whether you have the PCIE power cable that came with the PSU and would plug into the connector shown on the PSU. Your new card looks as if it needs two PCIE power inputs. You can see these as the square black blocks at the rear of the card.

Your old card did not appear to need any PCIE power. I can't see any external power leads going to it, so I can only assume that the old card was quite old and low-powered from the bus itself.

Therefore you need two power cables.
    One will look like others coming out of the PSU. This will plug into the socket helpfully marked PCIE. The other end of which will go into the rear of the newcard.
    The second is going to require the adaptor you got with the card, and a spare molex connector from the PSU. These look like this.
    http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...&aq=0&oq=molex
    Your wiring has been nicely tucked away so finding one may take a bit of rummaging. When you have found one you can connect the adaptor to the card and the other end to the free Molex.

Being a 3XS system they could probably provide any missing cables quite quickly from thise pics.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

From the photos it is a ZM600-hp and has 3 12V rails @16A. No information on whats running on which rail though......

The PSU will provide enough power but the 12V current is divided into 3 smaller 'rails' for safety reasons. It would be prudent to make sure not all the current is being drawn from one rail as this may overload it. I think you may only have one PCEe power connection so will need an adapter from either molex or SATA connections. Would you be able to take a photo of the side of the PSU; hopefully it will reveal all?

Do you have any more leads for the PSU?

Manual at http://www.zalman.co.kr/Eng/product/..._Down_Proc.asp
    Last edited by Domestic_Ginger; 10-09-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks

Hi

You have a zm600-hp PSU .

It is a modular design so you will have extra cable for it in the box or in a velcro pouch.

It comes with one 6/8 pin plug. It will have a 6pin solid block then an additional 2pin on the same cable so you can use it for either a 6 pin or (6+2) 8 pin plug. Its the same idea as the 20+4 main motherboard power plug....
    You will need to use this for the 8 pin plug on the new graphics card.
    This cable will plug into the PCI-E2 socket on your PSU.

Now in the main bundle of wires from the PSU you will have a single 6 pin plug too.
    You said its a Scan system and has been tidied up. It will most likely be zip tied up with the wires at the top of your case. Have a hunt and free it.

Pop the new card into the PCI-e slot. handling the card via the edges and cooler, dont touch the contacts etc.

Screw both the screws into the dual PCI bracket.

Plug both the power plugs into your new graphics card.

Plug the PC power lead back in and you are ready to boot.

Since this is a new card you are best booting into safe mode and removing the previous graphics drivers then powering down.

Rebooting back into safe mode again and installing the new ones. Dont let Windows install drivers that it want to mind.

Finally you are good to boot up normally and enjoy your new purchase.

Regards

Ed

11. Received thanks from:

Pob255 (10-09-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks

I really do appreicate all this help and patience, guys.

Ok, more breakthroughs thanks to your posts!

I got out the big box of lord-knows-what that I received with my new system and there were some cables bound in velcro, there's a pic below of one that looks helpful (and long enough) - one end is labelled PCi-E2. Also - thanks to Phage, I took a closer look inside the case and as you can see in the second photo there are some neatly tied cables tucked up near the PSU (which you just see on the left). I need to turn the PC off now, release those from their ties and see if I can cable something up.

As I understand it, I've got to cable up the two sockets on the card (there are two) to two places in the PSU - one being the PCI-E2 socket that's available and the tied up cables should hopefully drop one down that will go back to the card.

Am I on the right wavelength!

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

The vapour X 2gb uses both a 8pin PCI-E and a 6 pin PCI-E, your spot on with your assumption, you need to untie the cable labelled PCI-E1 and plug that into the 6pin adaptor on the card, and plug the one you found in the box labelled PCI-E2 into the port on the power supply labelled the same and then the card.

Thanks

Hi

Yes you are on the money mate.

Let us know how you get on.

Ed

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Well k4p84 seems to be well on top of this and giveing solid advice
    As Skyline hasn't got enough posts to be able to thank him I have.

Follow what k4p84 has said, take it slow, it's honestly not that hard to do.

To get to the 6pin pci-e power cable, the one that's attached not the seperate one, you'll probably have to cut off the cable ties.
    You can sometimes release them but it can be tricky especially with small ties.
    A good pair of short bladed sissors or a wire cutter if you have one.
    Make sure you don't cut into the wires, that would be bad.
    If you catch some of the black braid around the wires that's ok, it only there to keep the wires bunched together and looking neat.

Remember the power leads go in last after you've got the card in place.

PCI-E retention clip
    If you look at your new card at the end of the contact strip you'll notice a little L shaped bit.
    This is the bit that is locked in but the retention clip at the end ot the Slot on the motherboard

As shown in k4p84's post before, that is one type of clip, You have to move it upwards, toward the cpu as you remove the card, this is the simplest and one of the most awrkard to use.
    others look like these

Seperate arm, rotates, you need to push the end in toward the socket to release it.

Vertical arm, rotates, same basically as the ont above but rotates vertically, so you have to push the tab down to release it.

Pin type, slideing, (it's been a while since I used one of these) pull the white knob down away from the slot (you can just see the word PULL and the arrow in that pic) I seem to remember that these are spring loaded so will snap back once you release the knob.

Ideally you should release the retention clip with one hand and pull the card out vertically with the other (if the case is laying on it's side, which I'd advise to do)
    However in reallity it can be a bit tricky and stiff, which can make it very hard to do.
    You can probably lift one end of the card out of the slot very slightly (1mm or so) then dissengague the clip and raise that end slightly, which sould be enough to stop the clip re-engagueing when you release it.
    You should then be able to get the card out eaisly.

Must admit my favourate type is the vertical retention arm as pushing down on the arm also lifts up the end of the card slightly, much in the same way as the clips that hold the memory sticks in work.
    Makes getting the card out eaiser, shame they seem to be dieing out.

Registered+
    Thanks

Many, many thanks all, especially k4p84 of course.
    Right, I have good news and terrible, terrible news.

I got everything connected up ok - and I noticed even that the loose PCI cable could only go one way - which is handy (i.e. connector blocks are sligtly different either end).

I turned things on and heard a slight, but frightening electric 'click', like static. In trepidation I carried on and installed the card - which works great and is silent. BUT: my D: drive is not accessible and it's where ALL my data is. I keep programs on C:. So, I assume I've blown whatever makes the D: disk live. I really need some big time help now.... sorry....

What shall I check to diagnose exactly what's happened? How can I then fix it? Did the graphics card overload the PSU?

This is the PSU I have:
    PSU Closeup

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

When you say not accessible - does it still appear on the hardware manager ?
    Have you checked the most obvious ? Did you knock the cables to the HDD ? Just to be sure, check that they are all still seated correctly at both ends. It's highly unlikely that the PSU is at fault given that the rest of the system including the hungry new card is working well.

There's an app on the web called hdtune http://www.hdtune.com/ download this and see what it tells you about the drives.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information