Thread: New keyboard

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks

New keyboard

As title, I'm, looking to get a new keyboard. Atm I have one of the black IBM compact style ones, which is okay, but it's getting on a bit and I want something more comfortable.

The keyboard has to be black to match my system. It also needs to have multimedia keys, so I can adjust the volume, etc. But that's it.

I'm considering getting a Microsoft keyboard, as I had one before and it was really comfortable to use. Something like this or one of the wireless desktop elites.

However, I've also seen this, which looks quite cool: http://www.xoxide.com/blpsilke.html . It looks good for the money, my only concern is that the keyboard is laptop-style and fairly cramped.

Couple of other quick questions. Anyone got a Microsoft natural keyboard? Are they really more comfortable to use? They look quite appealing.

And I'm also considering a wireless keyboard (and mouse). Before I've steered away from them, mainly because I heard they lag a bit in games. I play CS and Raven Shield, so lag isnt an option. Are the modern wireless setups any better? I'm not prepared to pay 100 quid for a Bluetooth set up, so I spose I'm just talking about standard wireless keyboards/mice.

Any suggestions, comments, etc appreciated.

Thanks
    I think the newer wireless ones are better.

The logitech MX700 is a great wireless mouse, but dunno about keyboards.

I just love my Microsoft Natural Pro - it's simple, sturdy, and split down the middle.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    Any Microsoft Keyboard is comfortable. Microsoft mice are comfortable too. I honestly can’t see why so many people prefer Logitech keyboards and mice. I've had a few Logitech mice in the past, but I didn’t like them, I didn’t like the material and I didn’t like those 300 buttons all over the place.

You cant go wrong with MS keyboards and Mice, high quality stuff.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by DeludedGuy
    Any Microsoft Keyboard is comfortable. Microsoft mice are comfortable too. I honestly can’t see why so many people prefer Logitech keyboards and mice. I've had a few Logitech mice in the past, but I didn’t like them, I didn’t like the material and I didn’t like those 300 buttons all over the place.

You cant go wrong with MS keyboards and Mice, high quality stuff.

I agree 100% mate, ive got a MS wireless optical desktop (wireless KB and optical mouse) and ive had no problems with it. The range is great so i can use my PC from 6ft away (if i make the res uber low) and the KB is great to use. Theres also no lag in games - though if your used to a wired mouse the extra weight of the battery in the mouse will make it feel slighty laggy, but you soon get used to it.

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    I've got the microsoft natural multimedia keyboard, and it's superbly comfortable, has all the keys it seems you've asked for, but I'm not sure that it comes in black....but even so it's well worth it for the comfort factor. I wouldn't bother about the whole wireless thing for a keyboard though, since I can't really see that many benefits of being able to roam a whole TWO METRES away from the computer (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong)

sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    I wish my wireless keyboard supported both wired or wireless operation. With the addition of a USB socket and a trailing wire from the PC it would be much improved. Flat batteries wouldn't be such a big problem since it could work wired and at the same time recharge. I have on a number of occasions resorted to using batteries out of various remotes and mixed different brand battery with varying charge levels to get my keyboard working as you do. Now the battery compartment is a mess with leaked acid all inside the keyboard. The MX700 mouse is cool with the docking station and keyboards should be the same. I tried using rechargeable batteries but they don't hold the charge that well over extended periods and the keyboard doesn't seem to transmit well with only 1.2v instead of 1.5v for alkalines. I have gone back to a wired keyboard for the time being.

Ed^

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    hmm my wireless KB easily lasts 2 months without running out of juice, the mouse only goes for about a month but it aint bad.. the logitech one is just so big and unruly, no where near as useable as the M$ ones

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks
    any other comments on battery life would be helpful. I dont particularly want to go for a wireless keyboard, i dont see the point....same with my mouse. I'm quite happy with the wire, it's no hassle and the mouse is nice and light. But it looks to me as if all the decent MS keyboards I want are part of a wireless mouse and keyboard combo, hence that's probably what I'm going to end up with.

The other option is just to get that bl00 keyboard from xoxide.com for £25 and stick with my existing MS optical explorer.

Thanks
    Cherry CyMotion Master Solar
    http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/cy...ster-solar.htm

The retro future is here... reminds me of my old school calculator and the film blade runner.

I happy with this cherry cybo@rd keyboard + a logitech mx300. Almost exact same colours looks like a matching set.
    http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/tr...et-cyboard.htm

New alkalines in keyboard do last a long time which is why when they do run out I never have any spares. I have trouble planning the next day let alone 2-3 month in advance. It could beep or something when the battery is low as a reminder but it doesn't.

Mouse chomps through more batteries but it dies a slower death so you have more warning that the batteries are running low. Rechargeable + docking is the way forward unless you like buying batteries.

Ed^

Thanks
    I am a big fan of ms natural keyboards, had one at work for about 4 years and had one at home for about 2, one at home has all the fancy multimedia things (which is nice). They are extremely comfortable and I would have only 1 reservation (dont like that whole f lock thing).

If you are looking for a mouse too though I would definitely recommend logitech, either the mx500/510 or mx700 (or 900 if bluetooth is your thing).

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    I would let the decision for a natural keyboard hinge on whether or not you touch type, since I learned I cannot use a normal keyboard as my hands cramp up very quickly but with the natural have not had even a touch of RSI.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thread Information