Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Upgrade now or wait?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked
    53 times in 34 posts
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX)
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Crucial SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w + Dell 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

    Upgrade now or wait?

    Every couple of years I come on hexus and ask for hardware advice. Funny when I think I used to be "in the know", but nowadays, technology is moving on faster than I can keep up! LOL

    Anyway, current PC has been running very well, and is based around an MSI P35 Platinum with a Q6600 slightly overclocked running at 3GHz. I have 6GB RAM and an 8800GT graphics card.

    I recently upgraded my main system drive to a 60GB SSD disk which has been the best upgrade I've ever done. Along with a 500GB drive for data. All running W7 64bit.

    However, I'm getting slightly itchy to upgrade. That plus the fact I want to have a play with OS X and have been reading up on forums on how to go about it. If it's off-topic here, no worries. But I'm thinking of getting something similar to an entry-level mac pro spec. So i900 series with X58 mobo, some new DDR3 RAM, etc.

    Question is, is it worth getting something like that now or should I wait a few months for the newer i5 (I think) CPUs to hit the market?

    Budget isn't too much an issue, can spend what's necessary, but only if it's really worthwhile so I can't see myself getting an i980 extreme...

    Main use is for graphics (I dabble a bit with Lightroom / PS) and so RAM is very much a requirement. The odd game too, but not too fussed on that and happy to keep my 8800GT or upgrade to something moderate (AMD 5770 is mentioned in compatibility with OS X builds).

    Thoughts?

    Thanks a lot

  2. #2
    ***** Lurker
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    722
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    15 times in 15 posts
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    you wouldnt see much return going from a Q6600 to an i5/i7 for general usage, perhaps on the rendering front with more mem u could see benefits but I would wait to see what the next gen chipsets and cpu's are like from intel, if nothing else it may drop the prices fr an X58 and i7 upgrade

  3. Received thanks from:

    tfboy (30-12-2010)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked
    53 times in 34 posts
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX)
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Crucial SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w + Dell 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    OK fair enough

  5. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • k3vst3r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar X58A
      • CPU:
      • i7 950 @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR3 1600 6GB 8-8-8-24
      • Storage:
      • 40GB SF SSD 1TB F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 470 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850HX
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster stacker ST101
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mbps

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    If you feel urge to upgrade least wait for sandybridge to launch.
    I went from Q6600 @ 3.2GHz to i7 950 @ 4.4GHz, games like bc2 it doubled my fps, because it was no longer bottlenecked an ran at 100% gpu usage instead of 40-45% with Q6600.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • davido6's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD 80
      • CPU:
      • i5 760@4.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 OCZ GOLD 1333@2000
      • Storage:
      • Mushkin 90gig ssd 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 470 960core :)
      • PSU:
      • Huntkey x900
      • Case:
      • 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 ult
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405FPW

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    Quote Originally Posted by k3vst3r View Post
    If you feel urge to upgrade least wait for sandybridge to launch.
    I went from Q6600 @ 3.2GHz to i7 950 @ 4.4GHz, games like bc2 it doubled my fps, because it was no longer bottlenecked an ran at 100% gpu usage instead of 40-45% with Q6600.
    +1 ide allso say wait for sandy or next amd chip for prices to come down some

  7. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    so how much do you guys think an i7 will drop after sb launch?? I know it will only be an estimate but im looking to build now and was going to get an AMD CPU Phenom II 965 Black Quad Core Processor but if i can get an i7 for around the same price in afew weeks i might wait. sorry for sort of hi-jacking the thread too!

  8. #7
    I'm Very Important
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,829
    Thanks
    314
    Thanked
    332 times in 296 posts
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    skt775 held its price quite well; I can't se ethem dropping alot but I could well be wrong. I would look to see what the next generation would offer first and plum for that.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dunstable, Beds.
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts
    • j.col's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Foxconn g41mx 2.0
      • CPU:
      • E3300 @ 3.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb ddr2
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB & 300 gb Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD 4770
      • PSU:
      • antec 400w
      • Case:
      • NZXT Hades
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • hanns g 19" widescreen

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    its only a couple of weeks away (sandy bridge)
    so i would wait, imo the prices will drop

  10. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    cool will do then. any dates available for release?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    1366 I7's won't be dropping much as p67 sandybridge is not a replacement for x58. X58 isn't being superceded until late 2011/early 2012. P55 will however see price drops I reckon.

    Rumours suggest that x58 will still (just) rule the roost for the coming year until it is replaced.

  12. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 1 post

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    Release should be Jan 2011 according to most sites, keep an eye on CES 2011 coverage.

  13. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    guessing that new moboards will be coming out around the same time to accommodate sb chips??

  14. #13
    Chillie in here j.o.s.h.1408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    a place called home
    Posts
    8,530
    Thanks
    753
    Thanked
    255 times in 192 posts
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    edit: silly me u already have a ssd

  15. #14
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,351
    Thanks
    1,254
    Thanked
    823 times in 623 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    Anandtech have done a great preview of sandy bridge. basically, if you're after a mid-range chip for desktop or anything mobile, WAIT.

    Premium end desktop will not be superseded until at least august 2011, but prices will be high for the newer chips. Plus with Sandy Bridge, only certain chips will be overclockable - Intel are locking the cheaper chips right down and selling K variant fully unlocked chips at a premium.

    The anandtech article suggests that the mainstream unlocked Sandy Bridge chips will perform just as well as X58 i7 chips in most circumstances, with only the extreme editions keeping their head above water. These new SB chips will however just about outperform an i7 950 and at lower TDP in all but intensive parrallel threaded apps. They will however cost more than an i7 950 so I've taken the plunge and bought the i7-950 now while it's at £207. If in 8 months the new SB premium chips are worth it I'll buy one of those too in 2012 when the prices have dropped a bit.

    2 article links below:


    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/t...-wins-in-a-row

    anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3922/i...ecture-exposed

    anandtech.com/show/3922/intels-sandy-bridge-architecture-exposed

    Also, in looking up these links I've noticed they've just released info on retail products today. I'm off for a read.

  16. #15
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,351
    Thanks
    1,254
    Thanked
    823 times in 623 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Upgrade now or wait?

    another thing I think I read somewhere is that the mainstream Sandy Bridge chips, not being aimed at the premium end, may not offer as many PCI-e lanes for graphics as the x58 boards - though I need to look into this more to be certain.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Little upgrade
    By Disturbedguy in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28-03-2009, 08:47 PM
  2. 8800GT SLI now or wait for new single card in Oct?
    By camalbitboy in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-07-2008, 08:21 PM
  3. Quick upgrade question?
    By chriswood_7 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-10-2007, 10:29 PM
  4. £1,000 upgrade - advice, please?
    By DaKid in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 19-01-2007, 06:22 PM
  5. Upgrade to Windows XP and get a FREE gift certificate worth £40
    By Mithrandir in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 25-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •