Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking really worth it ?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Overclocking really worth it ?

Quote Originally Posted by planet436 View Post
    Better heatsinks/fans will allow you to cool your CPU's with less noise certainly which is a consideration for lots of people. What is also important is better-placed fans. Sticking 7-8 fans on a case randomly will probably have a detrimental effect if you aren't inducing a logical flow (basically trying to get cool air in at the bottom and exhaust it at the top without any recirculation of warm air).

Overclocking really old computers can be problematic, big manufacturers who use proprietary technology can have crappy bios which will make it difficult. As mentioned with pentium 4's and the like the additional heat is likely to fry something.

In games which are CPU dependent, then OC will have a large effect. For games which are GPU dependent then overclocking the GPU can have a nice effect. I do overclocking since it is fun , Sandy bridge allows you to OC when under load but drop volts and clocks when browsing or playing music.
    I was wondering what a sandy bridge was.. the problem is my cpu is one of the aftermentioned due core Pentium (r) 2.80GHz I Think mine has OEM too ( if i got the right ) i.e. preinstalled os , its seagate then again thats pretty common
    Last edited by melon; 04-06-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ed^chigliak View Post
    A more powerful or overclocked CPU can finish a task sooner, spend more time at idle and can actually use less electricity. This would be true for video rendering tasks and the likes. Folding never ends so no savings there but you could be turning in more work per watt so technically it is more efficient. All is not as it first appears when considering electricity consumption.
    Well my pc is on day / night , Im disabled you see, and right now im housebound and have been for 7 months , so its that or insanity.

m

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

For most overclockers it's a fun thing especially these days. CPUs these days are pretty powerful by days gone by standards but it's interesting to squeeze as much as you can from as little cost. I still remember the daysvwhen I was lucky enough to get a 300mhz PII running at 450mhz on the stock cooler
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    For most overclockers it's a fun thing especially these days. CPUs these days are pretty powerful by days gone by standards but it's interesting to squeeze as much as you can from as little cost. I still remember the daysvwhen I was lucky enough to get a 300mhz PII running at 450mhz on the stock cooler
    i remember days I had to wait 15 mins to load a game while turning a knob on a cassette player to see if i could get the maxium number of bars to light up, just so it would load..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information