Thread: Watercooling FAQ

wibble
    Thanks

Watercooling FAQ

Is there a definitive watercooling FAQ for newbies somewhere, I've had a search and not come across too much of help.

Basically I'm looking at getting a pc-70(1) and was wondering about the best layout for rad/pump etc. as space shouldn't really be an issue

I'm not getting a kit, but going the DIY route, a quick question about rads, with the pc-70 having a few 80mm fan holes pre-cut I was wondering about the performance of the rads with 2 x 80mm fans on them, as they would be easier to fit - no need to cut holes, just cut out the grill. Also the 5.25" bay res - any good (probably getting the larger dual bay one)

thanks

Thanks
    which are you planning to watercool (cpu, graphics card, northbridge?) if you are cooling 2 or more components then you need a bigger rad which won't be a problem for your case. most people stick their rad on the top of the case for the pc-70 and the best way to cut holes is using a holesaw.

in my old water setup i had my 120mm rad the bottom front off the pc-70 where the 2 fans are, but i used the holesaw to make a 120mm hole. i had a a bayres on the top offf the 5.25" bay (higher the better) , and the pump was at the floor off the case.

bayres is good for bleeding air and filling the water setup so it is recommended.

wibble
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply chiyau, I'm just planning on cooling the cpu for now, possibly northbridge later - but probably not.

I did think about putting the rad in the bottom where the 2x80mm fans go in the front of the pc-70, but that would mean my hdd's couldn't be fitted there - I have some rather warm scsi drices I wanted to go there behind a couple of fans.

The other obvious options for the rad would be above the psu or cutting a hole in the top of the case (where I would normally cut a blowhole) and mounting it there, but I was unsure about airflow around something mounted there ...... any advice here ?

Also if the rad is mounted at the top of the case would it be better to have the fan sucking or blowing threough the rad ?

Thanks
    I'm using a PC 70 for my watercooling. I've mounted my rad behind the 2x80mm fans on the front. I've left the 2x0mm blowing through the rad and slapped a low voltage 120mm on the rear of the fan sucking air through.

Cutting hole in the top would work, but you will get higher temperatures are all the warmth from your case will be rising up.

About your SCSI drives, might be an idea to mount them in you 5.25" bays if yu get some adapters?

Watercooling is relitively easy, hardest part i found was fitting it all into my case.

Thanks
    I have a pc70, I fitted my rads in what I think is the best place, logically, as it brings in the coldest air

My rads are quite big, about 200*200mm - they wouldnt fit in most cases.

Fans give best airflow when sucking air, as opposed to pushing it. The fan is on the inside of my case.
    I used a nibbler tool to cut away a large square in the bottom, about the size of my rads, to let air in. This is imo the best place. If my case sidepanel were windowed, you wouldnt see the rads. The hole in bottom can be as messy as you want (although I did mine well) as people wont see it. If you ever go back to air, you can stick a sheet of 18gauge aluminuim there to hide it.

Next I had to cut away part of the mobo tray, as the rads are quite big

I said rads, becuase I have two, each are 50mm wide, and I place one on top of the other. They cost £10 and £35 each (although exactly the same, the second one I should have found somewhere cheaper...)
    My 172mm fan has no trouble sucking a decent airflow through both of them.

I made a tempory shroud from duck tape, which works well, but looks crap - although im currently working on an aluminuim shroud.

For lianli I recommend laing d4 pump, becuase its easy to mount on mobo tray, and also criticool res - although I made my own mounting thing for that.
    Pic:
    http://server6.uploadit.org/files/kb...tercooling.jpg
    Sorry for bad picture quality, Ive labled each thing so you can see them better.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 04-07-2004 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    • rox0r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair IV Formula
      • CPU:
      • AMD PHENOM2 X6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 240Gb SSD, 1 x 1Tb F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD R9 280x
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Head on over to our forums at WetandChillyChips , we have some very helpful and knowledgable members and a lot of watercooling info stashed away in our forum.

Thread Information