• PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    i've replaced the fan with a quieter one (not the ys-tech 20dba) but another fan i had lying around... and reduced the voltage to 1.7v instead of 1.75v, and under load it's currently 57 C so that's pretty good... (with the side off) it passed hexus pifast okay, so i'll try some other tests and see if it's okay and if so, i'll reduce the voltage again

after looking at my motherboard again - it does have holes! so i could get the 7000a after all! how quiet is it?
    Last edited by joshwa; 28-08-2003 at 06:18 PM.

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    Originally posted by www.josh.org.uk
    i've replaced the fan with a quieter one (not the ys-tech 20dba) but another fan i had lying around... and reduced the voltage to 1.7v instead of 1.75v, and under load it's currently 57 C so that's pretty good... it passed hexus pifast okay, so i'll try some other tests and see if it's okay and if so, i'll reduce the voltage again
    57 degrees is fine as long as it's stable, so whack up the Mhz rather than lowering the voltage!

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    well, it failed prime95 unfortunately :/

so i've stuck the fsb at 100mhz, so it's now running at 1500mhz (xp1800 it thinks) - and i've stuck the ys-tech 20dba fan on...

i think it'll be fine - as i can run it at default voltage now (1.6) - it's at 45degrees under load (case off) with the case on it's 49 degrees underload... that still seems high considering it's an SLK-7 with a 20dba 80mm fan - or is that about right? (in this weather)

only noise i've got to worry about now is the hard drives!
    Last edited by joshwa; 28-08-2003 at 06:57 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Well you shouldn't worry too much about temps as they're only very approximate and more there as a guide and to give you an idea of what temp diffs you get from adding fans etc. So long as your PC is stable under continuous stress (Prime) the reported temps don't really matter. If you feel they're a little high don't forget to check only a tiny amount of compound is used (and cleaned then reapplied when HSF is removed) and for the often neglected case airflow. Depending where you place the case fans it is certainly possible to inhibit rather than increase airflow. Generally exhaust (rear/top) are the best at keeping your case cool while the intake are often less effective at cooling but more effective at reducing dust build up (esp with filters).

josh.org.uk it was a wise move upgrading from your Duron as it was based on the 0.18mu process so would have been pretty hot even at 1.2ghz. The AthlonXP1800+ even at 100/200FSB is still a BIG step up but you may want to see if someone will swap your modded XP1700+ @ XP2400+ for another TbredB XP1700+. An XP2400+ is great for those lacking multiplier support or with FSB limitations. You could even sell that CPU on and probably buy a new XP1700+ (be sure it's TbredB) and break even as they can be bought from £35 now.

You could also see if someone could test your CPU in their PC (with multiplier & voltage support) in order to see how it performs in theirs. You could then work out what speeds it can do at the diff voltages and weigh up your options. You may need someone with a modern Abit NF7 (pref v2.0) type mobo which understand the 5th FID bit otherwise your XP2400+ may appear locked to them.

What HDs are you running as there are sw measures to effectively enable acoustic low level management ... works excellently on Maxtor drives.

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    Originally posted by Austin
    Well you shouldn't worry too much about temps as they're only very approximate and more there as a guide and to give you an idea of what temp diffs you get from adding fans etc. So long as your PC is stable under continuous stress (Prime) the reported temps don't really matter. If you feel they're a little high don't forget to check only a tiny amount of compound is used (and cleaned then reapplied when HSF is removed) and for the often neglected case airflow. Depending where you place the case fans it is certainly possible to inhibit rather than increase airflow. Generally exhaust (rear/top) are the best at keeping your case cool while the intake are often less effective at cooling but more effective at reducing dust build up (esp with filters).

josh.org.uk it was a wise move upgrading from your Duron as it was based on the 0.18mu process so would have been pretty hot even at 1.2ghz. The AthlonXP1800+ even at 100/200FSB is still a BIG step up but you may want to see if someone will swap your modded XP1700+ @ XP2400+ for another TbredB XP1700+. An XP2400+ is great for those lacking multiplier support or with FSB limitations. You could even sell that CPU on and probably buy a new XP1700+ (be sure it's TbredB) and break even as they can be bought from £35 now.

You could also see if someone could test your CPU in their PC (with multiplier & voltage support) in order to see how it performs in theirs. You could then work out what speeds it can do at the diff voltages and weigh up your options. You may need someone with a modern Abit NF7 (pref v2.0) type mobo which understand the 5th FID bit otherwise your XP2400+ may appear locked to them.

What HDs are you running as there are sw measures to effectively enable acoustic low level management ... works excellently on Maxtor drives.
    cheers my brother got me the chip from NZ, it was £33 inc about 6 months ago retail so it's still cheaper than here

does anyone know where the guide is to modding the L1 bridge on the tbred-b's ? (edit - aha here it is : http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht..._painting.html )

alternatively - anybody wanna swap a modded xp1700 (modded to xp2400/133) for a normal xp1700 tbredb?

i've got acoustic low level set on both WD hard drives, one's a 40gb WDSE 8mb 7200rpm which seems quieter than the other 80gb WD 2mb 5400rpm...

maybe if i just stopped using MBM in the taskbar i'd forget about the temp and stop worrying
    Last edited by joshwa; 28-08-2003 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks
    ive got 4 maxtors, ones a dd740x bb and the rest are dmp9's, i find accoustic management makes no difference on the d740x, and the other ones dont make enuf noise to need it, and there isnt an app to turn it on/off with dmp9s, if u found oen those plesae can u give linky

as im watercooling soon i have some silent kit to sell, threads in for sale forum thingy
    the silent drive kit makes huge amount of differnce to my d740x (very niosy) also zalman gfx heatsink / slk800 f/s, but i think the slk800 is more a less sold now

also i recoomend thermatake smartfan2 for cpu, on full (75cfm) its quieter than my ys techs that do 45cfm and its got an adjsuter thingy which u can stick out the back of a pci slot so u can turn it down when u goto sleep etc..
    also an article at bit tech about making a PWM fan controler which seems fairly cheap to make, if u know how to solder
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 28-08-2003 at 10:35 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    josh.org.uk try advertising the XP1700+ modded to XP2400+ 266FSB as I'm sure someone will be willing to pay £40 or so for it. Do point out that it's a great CPU for anyone with amobo limited to 266FSB. They can still o/c it too, all they need to do is raise the FSB and probably the voltage too.

|SilentDeath| what acoustic management sw did you use? I've used the official Maxtor one and it really helped with my Maxtor 120GB ATA133 7200rpm 8MB drive (should have had FDB but I don't think it did). On the medium setting (quiet but still FAST) it didn't have much impact on noise (nor perf) but on the low (QUIET) setting it was 100% silent and though the perf hit showed in synthetic benchmarks I couldn't feel it anywhere else. I have heard feedback from quite a couple of Maxtor owners and their responses were positive ... but then it makes sense its worth varies depending upon the particular model and even the individual drive itself. I rem my beloved 60GB ATA100 5400rpm (736DX), that was FAST (very near my 7200-8MB to use) and totally silent too ... but then IIRC that was actually a rebadged Quantum Fireball...

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    josh.org.uk try advertising the XP1700+ modded to XP2400+ 266FSB as I'm sure someone will be willing to pay £40 or so for it. Do point out that it's a great CPU for anyone with amobo limited to 266FSB. They can still o/c it too, all they need to do is raise the FSB and probably the voltage too.
    i think i will

josh

Thanks
    Josh what would be wrong with the SLK-7 heatsink with a higher CFM fan with some sort of fan control?

I know many people do, but I would never put a silent YS-TECH on an XP chip. I would sooner use a standard fan which pushes 45CFM and nock the voltage to the fan down when needs be.

Thanks
    |SilentDeath| what acoustic management sw did you use? I've used the official Maxtor one and it really helped with my Maxtor 120GB ATA133 7200rpm 8MB drive (should have had FDB but I don't think it did). On the medium setting (quiet but still FAST) it didn't have much impact on noise (nor perf) but on the low (QUIET) setting it was 100% silent and though the perf hit showed in synthetic benchmarks I couldn't feel it anywhere else. I have heard feedback from quite a couple of Maxtor owners and their responses were positive ... but then it makes sense its worth varies depending upon the particular model and even the individual drive itself. I rem my beloved 60GB ATA100 5400rpm (736DX), that was FAST (very near my 7200-8MB to use) and totally silent too ... but then IIRC that was actually a rebadged Quantum Fireball...
    the noise of the accesses/seeks and stuff is not what annoys me, it could be 10x louder for all i care!
    the niose that i hate, if the one u can never really notice till u listen to ur hdd without fans blocking out the sound, is the high pitched WHINE of the platters spinning round, and if u havea d740x non-fdb and a dmp9 w. fsb and u try one afte another ull really notice it.
    the soft used si teh officail one, there might be a newer version, now supporting dmp9 drives, there wasnt one when i looked, onlyy d740x and older worked. if u got the dmp9 supporting one, please throw the link at me.

pdug175: ys techs are good, but not that good. they make alot of noise for what they do, so i either think they are rated worngly, say db measured from further away from others, or more likely they just make a more noticable, annoying sound.
    i have 2x 45cfm ys techs, both have to b 5v'd to get them quiet enuf to sleep well.
    i definatly recommend a thermaltake smartfan2 - costs ~£15 but it has a fan controler built in and is still resonably quiet at 75cfm, sorta like mini hoover. i run mine at 3k rpm most of the time, about 45cfm - quieter imo than my ys techs at 12v

Thanks
    I found the smart fans gave off a high picthed sound the more you decreased the voltage. Whats it called... direct modualtion or summit?

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks

try the new

try the new thread in bargains for cheap sk7 and ystech fans

Thread Information