Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my new chip!

Thanks
    Austin, do you eat tech spec stuff???

You da man on this, intcha!

I've got it running quite happily at 12.5x133, gonna tickle the FSB and see what happens. I remember running my 1800xp at 140FSb with no probs so I'm gonna step up gradually to that and see what happens!

Cheers guys, am a happy (speedier) man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Another thought, how do I know when to up the voltage?

Any what memory settings should I be using?
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    The 12.5x max limitation is common to almost all mobos, they can't manipulate (or understand) the 5th FID bit. Most CPUs with a stock multiplier < 13x don't have a bridge to connect, the CPUs with a (default) multiplier over 12.5x have an extra bridge which translates into a corresponding higher multiplier (eg 5.5x becomes 13x, 7.5x becomes 15x etc). Cutting that extra bridge reverts to the lower multiplier and you should then find most mobos can then adjust it freely between 5.5x and 12.5x. Basically if the default multiplier is below 13x then there isn't a bridge you can join or cut as it's simply not present. This is from memory so I could have it a little wrong.
    All of the latest N2Fboards will fully unlock any CPU.

All T-breds have 5 bridges regardless of their multiplier

L3 as follows c=closed

10.0X--C--O--O--O--C 1500+
    10.5X--O--O--O--O--C 1600+

11.0X--C--C--C--C--C 1700+ / 2500

11.5X--O--C--C--C--C 1800+
    12.0X--C--O--C--C--C 1900+
    12.5X--O--O--C--C--C 2000+, 2600+/166MHz
    13.0X--C--C--O--C--O 2100+, 2700+/166MHz
    13.5X--O--C--O--C--O 2200+, 2800+/166MHz
    14.0X--C--O--O--C--O 2900+/166MHz
    14.5X--O--O--O--C--O Reserved
    15.0X--C--C--C--O--O 2400+
    15.5X--O--C--C--O--O Reserved (Found Remapped to 22X)
    16.0X--C--O--C--O--O 2600+
    16.5X--O--O--C--O--O
    17.0X--C--C--O--O--O

Now you see why the XP 1700 and Barton XP 2500 make great chips for modding, for use on older boards (all bridges closed)

You can cut L12 # 3 to default a 166 fsb chip to 133, allowing you also to use Bartons on older boards

Thanks
    buy and NF7-S and some TwinMos pc3200

your pc will thank you for it

Thanks
    Further to what M@tt said, to enable the multis over 12.5 you need to cut (or 'pop' with the aforementioned battery arrangement) the fifth L3 bridge.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    Well, the bios revision had a new setting for the memory timings labeled 'turbo', I hit that whilst on the phone to Zak and he informs me the settings (after I read them out to him) are about as aggresive as they get.

The FSB is on 144 and multiplyer on 12.5... seems stable so far!

Thanks
    i wouldnt hard mod that chip... no need... for all the hassle etc you might as well just buy an NF7-S!

Thanks
    Whoop!

Sandra Drystone puts it 79 points behind a 2200XP and 75 behind on Whetstone...

Knox, ta dude!

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    wait until I get that PC2700 to ya

Then, if all goes well in the PCI and AGP stakes.....we will be at 12.5 x166 rather than 12.5x144

Still 2-6-2-2 as well

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Deckard
    Another thought, how do I know when to up the voltage?

Any what memory settings should I be using?
    You can up the CPU voltage when you are confident that the CPU has become the limiting factor in your o/c (and are also 100% certain the cooling isn't limiting). Adding an axtra 0.05v to 0.1v can often get you a fair deal higher than your previous o/c 'limit' but gives off a lot more heat and if unusually high for the core can result in serious internal damage. Many TbredB (eg JUIHB) XP1700+ come with 1.50v stock, 1.65v is perfectly normal for TbredB and should not result in any negative effect other than extra heat. Anyway your mobo is almost certain to be your most limiting factor, but hey XP2200+ speed is mighty fine for the price you paid esp when you sell your old CPU!

When it comes to upgrading your mobo you have to factor in costs vs gains. There's no doubt you'll get better speed and compatibility and you should get a LOT more out of your CPU ... but you may need better RAM, HSF etc so the costs can easily escalate. You may prefer to spend the cash on a gfx card upgrade which will give much bigger gaming gains than a mobo, RAM and CPU upgrade (or better o/c).

Memory timings are over played. The fastest (lowest) settings are often 1-2% faster than the slowest (highest) settings outside of sythetics. Best to use high (slower) timings and find the maximum mhz you desire and then tighten those timings testing thoroughly but gains are small for the time it takes and you can seriously corrupt things if your RAM can't quite handle the timings (or speed). It can be difficult to ensure the RAM can handle a given speed or timings, esp as Windows handles things very differently to things like DOS (type) memtest apps. You can also check things such as command rate etc to getthat little extra boost too.

Banned
    Thanks
    Zak33 I've never heard of any KT266 doing 333FSB (166 minus DDR), they only used 1/4 divider so anything above 144/288FSB will result in PCI/AGP/IDE running dangerously out of spec. At 166/333FSB and 1/4 (max) you will be running PCI at 41.7mhz instead of the normal 30-33mhz it was designed for. IIRC some SiS which were designed for 133/266FSB were capable of 166/333FSB operation but they had the 1/5 divider. You can check the PCI speed in tools such as Sandra, if it goes to 37mhz (148/296FSB) then you lack it (or have to apply it manually which I doubt). You can still use PC2700 and it should run 144/288FSB with very tight timings, at least it should ensure RAM certainly isn't limiting your o/c.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Swhat I thought..but Deck tells me that the BIOS supports up to 2800+ chips..and as there was never a 2800+ chip with a 133 bus speed....who knows

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    yeah..if its the 8KHA+ he has every hope.....cos the pdf file at Epox says it goes to 333 Thorobred...

however, as he states in post no 1 its not a + model..just a normal

Oh well...he has the memory now ...I handed it to him les than 40 minutes ago :gulp:

Thanks
    My Abit KR7A KT266A chipset would do 200 fsb with Crucial 2100, Austin, even though there is only a 1/4 divide

My Iwill MPX2 also has only a 1/4 divide and is running as my server @ 166 as we speak, most modern AGP/PCI devices can tolerate the out of spec buses

The Epox 8KHA would also hit very high fsb's

Thanks
    Oops, my bad here, it is a '+' and its doing 166fsbx12.5 multiplier right now, with less agressive memory timing... gonna ramp them up after an IL2 sesh, wanna see how satble it is first.

Its done 10 laps of 3D mark 01 with everything turned off and 6 laps of 3DMk03 with no problems...

CPU temp hovering nicely around 40 degrees

Cant find a divder anywhere in the BIOS though, does this board have them locked out as mentioned earlier in this thread?

Thanks
    austin is so the man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information