Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To Partition or not?

Thanks
    yea, the main reason why we format is that theres a prob with windows/get bloated with fat and becomes *unfit* for duties LOL

hmmm i dont see whats the problem with using the windowsXP installation cd for formatting ur partitions... juz create a couple of partitions, format the C, and when u enter windows, go to 'My Computer' and right click on those raw drives and format them from there...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly1234
    ...If you have two seperate drives and you put you Xp on one and your page file on the other it's quicker...
    Was thinking through in my head, and having arguments with myself, as to which scenario would be more benificial:

Drive 1: Windows XP Installation (WINNT folder) & Program Files
    Drive 2: Windows Pagefile & Personal Data

or

Drive 1: Windows XP Installation (WINNT folder) & Personal Data
    Drive 2: Windows Pagefile & Program Files

Opinions?

Back on topic, the only benefits that I've ever seen of multiple partitions on the same physical drive, are that which have already been stated:
    Easier, more manageable 'chunks' of drive, to backup & defrag - Windows XP will not suffer or benefit, as such, from using partitions.

S.

System Suspect
    Thanks
    I use the first option myself, way I look at it if the data needs to be read into memory whilst loading a program, and XP is trying to page some data out to the page file that hasn;t been used for a while, then it'll be able to, whereas if you had programs and page file on the same physical drive it'd have to wait or divide half the time to read and half to write, and thus slow the whole thing down

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    I would do your option 1 Bluemagician. Keep windows and programs together and keep documents seperate

So if i prefer to have 1 drive as i find it easier there is no point in having more except defragmenting. That doesn't really bother me, just leave it on one night per week

Thanks
    Partition magic is what I use, but it doesn't detect my SATA hard disks :|

Anyone found a way to overcome this?

System Suspect
    Thanks
    What version do you have? Both my 120gb disks are on sata channels and it detects them without issue, long as you put your floppy with the drivers in during XP install when the F6 prompt comes up

Thanks
    I've tried both 7 and 8...

They just dont get detected I don't see why the F6 thing is relevant cause the booting from floppy doesn't look for those drivers does it?

Also, i'd go with option 1 BlueMagician.

RDL
    Thanks
    You need 3 partitions. A 10gb XP partition, a 30gb Data partition and a 120gb Apps partition. You can automatically make apps route to E: for instance, so this isn't a problem. Also this means you only ever have to defrag one partition which is always nice. Also, since you have a load of space, make yourself a fourth partition, a page file one of say 1gb, as that speeds things up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagician
    ...the only benefits that I've ever seen of multiple partitions on the same physical drive, are that which have already been stated: Easier, more manageable 'chunks' of drive, to backup & defrag - Windows XP will not suffer or benefit, as such, from using partitions...
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_wade
    ...So if i prefer to have 1 drive as i find it easier there is no point in having more except defragmenting...
    Yes, IMHO..

And thanks to all with the feedback on the drive configs - sorry for the OT - but that's helped me get my head round it..

S.

System Suspect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_65

They just dont get detected I don't see why the F6 thing is relevant cause the booting from floppy doesn't look for those drivers does it?
    You have to install your SATA drivers from floppy at the start of XP install if you plan to have your SATA as your boot drive (at least on the NF7-S you do) otherwise Windows won't detect the disks on SATA during install, although on the AN8-SLi Deluxe I just built there was no need to do this as it the NVidia ports seem to have built in code.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    forgive the newbie Q but whats the page file, and how do you configure windows to put it somewhere else?
    i've got a 160gb drive on order and was definitely going to partition OS and progs.+files, but is a third necessary? and i wasn't too sure about the method explained on how to - when reinstalling windows - recover dll's and that sort of thing, no idea what HKCU/HKLM is either!
    is there a good place (not that there are many after hexus ) where I can find out about this sort of stuff? cause as we all know XP inevitably needs scrubbing and reinstalling so any way of making this less painful can only be beneficial
    i suppose the answer is to have two physical drives...
    Last edited by shiato storm; 16-01-2005 at 04:32 PM.