Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mesh grill on an SN95G5

Thanks
    Thanks for your input Rqyteqto. I'll have another fiddle with Speedfan tomorrow, but I have a more pressing Nero based problem at the moment

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rqyteqto
    That's one of the reasons you have to get to know SpeedFan, and the rest. Many of the readings are mistitled. Even Everest can be wrong. I believe for the V2s, Temp 1 is the motherboard, Temp 2 is the CPU and Temp 3 is the CPU MOSFET. If you are getting Local and Remote Temp readings, those may be your graphics card. If you have SMART HDDs, they will show up too. Like I said elsewhere, there are a lot of threads on it in Sudhian. as for defaults, have to remember, most programs are intended for many different rigs, so defaults are simpy what the author though fit the most common user. They may or may not apply to your rig.

Some things you absolutely have to do to get SpeedFan working:
    1) Main Page - Check box for Automatic Fan Speed.
    2) In Configure, under Speeds tab, you have to make sure the box for fan 2 (that's the ICE fan) for Automatically variated is checked.
    3) In Configure, under Advanced tab, click on the drop down menu and select the sensor for your CPU, I believe its the IT8712F (that's what it is for the V1.xs) and click on it and then find the setting for PWM 2 mode (that's for Pulse Width Modulation for Fan 2, the ICE fan) and set it to Software Controlled.

Back on the Temperatures tab, once you've identified what reading is what, click on the reading you've identified as the CPU and make sure Speed 2 is checked. That assigns this reading as controlling Fan 2. Of course, any other Temperature reading that has Speed 2 checked, will also control Fan 2 and its the most critical that controls. So go through all the Temperature readings and make sure what they are checked to control. The SN95G5 only has one controllable fan, for the V2.0s, its Fan 2. Down at the bottom of the page, you will see boxes for Desired and Warning Temps you can set. Desired is what you want the item being read to be at when the fans it controls should go to Minimum set under Speeds tab. Warning is the temp where the fan will go to 100%. Over on the Speeds tab, go to the fan in question and highlight it, then down at the bottom of the page, there are two settings, Minimum and Maximum. Minumum is the lowest speed the fan should work at when the Desired temp reading for that fan is reached. Whenever the temp is above Desired but below Warning, the fan will vary between Minimum and Maximum, which you also set here. Minimum should probably be set no lower than 20% as PWM fans tend to chug below that speed. However, that fan at 20% is putting out like 10 db. Its virtually silent. Setting it lower will make it noisie. Sort of one of those Less is More things. There, that's SpeedFan in a nutshell. Donations are welcome.m

I had a quick play today and I must be a complete numpty, as it'll report the CPU temp correctly now, but still doesn't seem to want to control the fan.

I now have the BIOS set to maintain 45 degrees and that seems to work fine. I ran Sandra Burn-In on CPU looped a few times and the fan increased temp as the CPU got over 45 and kept it around 45 degrees, the whole time the burn-in was running. If the BIOS controlled fan speed works, I'll stick with that and save tearing out any more hair, using Speedfan.

Many thanks for your input though..it's very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hey, if it works, it works.

I did note its an extensive program. You could actually control a fairly large system, as in the HVAC system for a manufacturing plant or large office building with SpeedFan. I'm not sure how many inputs/outputs it will handle, but its a large number.

Because of that, it can get quite tedious to work with. But lots of folks, including me, swear by it. The level of control it provides is amazing. About the only thing it lacks is Profiles. Like being able to create and store various sets of settings for different situations: LAN party, where the more noise the better, romantic evening with zip noise or whatever.
    Invent the Future

BlackJack
    Shuttle SN95G5
    AMD 65 3500+ . 2x512 Corsair ValueSelect 2.5 CAS
    2x120 GB Samsung SATA . Plextor 712A
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT oc . Dell 2001FP

Big Daddy
    Sager 8886

Thanks
    I does like a very powerful and useful tool. For people like me though, it seems a little bit of overkill.

Hopefully the Shuttle tools we've been promised will show up one day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information