Thread: Boot up/start up problems.

Thanks

Boot up/start up problems.

Right, Im out of my depth here so please bear with me. I have put together a pc from brand new components:
    Tagan 480w
    MSI K8N NEO 2 PLAT.
    Athlon64 3500+ 939
    Corsair TWIN MATCHED PAIR (2x512mb)
    BFG 6600GT AGP Graphics
    Hyundai L90+ 19"TFT

As far as my very knowledgable friend, who has ensured it is wired correctly, and I can see is it should be ok (famous last words).
    When powered up it appears to be running smooth and silent with the initial beep and that is where it ends.There is nothing displayed on the screen at all as though no signal is being sent. We changed the Graphics for the one downstairs as well as the TFT screen to rule these out.We unplugged the various bits...HD,Rom,Burner etc,etc but still nothing displayed.
    At the back is a PCI Card(supplied with mobo)which has 4 led's which dependant on configuration tells you of any problems or what is at fault.These are TOP LEFT/TOP RIGHT/BOTTON LEFT/BOTTOM RIGHT.These are either green or Red as per manual.
    What I have displayed is...Top Left is Orange/Top Right is Red/Bottom Left is Red/Bottom Right is Orange. This would indicate Processor error should the 2 orange ones be green.
    Also the little HD light does not illuminate when running either although this was unplugged at one point to rule out a cause of problem.
    Can anyone shine a wee bit of light on this, perhaps having come accross this. If not I will end up taking it to a recomended PC place for a diagnostic. This does not upset me as I dont mind if they can catagorically say...'Yeah mate the Chips had it' or whatever as then I can have it replaced under warranty. But obviously I need to find out wether its a component that is duff or its something weve done though we are pretty confident we have it wired correctly as we have been over it several times. I appreciate any imput my friends. Thank you.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    Prahaps you need a BIOS update to accept the winchester core? Thats assuming you have that CPU. However you also need to make sure that ALL the power cables are connected to the motherboard, i beleive the A64 requires additional power supplied via a square looking power connector. I cant remember how many pins this connector is though. Ill edit my post with the correct info later.

Thanks
    No the BIOS is not the problem.

Check that your memory, videocard and CPU/HSF are seated properly. Check your power supply (20 pin and 4 pin must be connected) and reset, power switch (and all other front panel connections) are properly connected. Unplug all drives and see if it will post. If not, reset the BIOS with jumper (JP1 Clear CMOS) and see if it will post.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC

Check that your memory, videocard and CPU/HSF are seated properly. Check your power supply (20 pin and 4 pin must be connected) and reset, power switch (and all other front panel connections) are properly connected. Unplug all drives and see if it will post. If not, reset the BIOS with jumper (JP1 Clear CMOS) and see if it will post.

Guess who left off the 4 pin for Processor?.Can begin the real business now.Again I am endebted to you for getting me out of the proverbial. I will let you know how we got on when my friend next arrives as I really havent got much idea. Its rather like learning to walk but cant remember it as stressful.Again my thanks and regards....Gravy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC

Up and running now but what do I look for and where to tell me that I have it running in Dual Channel mode (i have the matched pair in the first green and purple as advised).Thank you.

Thanks
    It should say in the post screen whether you are running dual channel or not
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Thanks
    Check CPU-Z as well as that will tell you whether your SC or DC under memory
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Scary!
    Thanks
    Stick you r memory in the 1st 2 slots nearest the cpu

Theyre dual channel

Thread Information