Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 30 of 30

Thread: Is Upgrading To 64 Bit Worth It Yet?

  1. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    lol im on a tight budget though

    ordering the AMD 64 3000+ and a motherboard this week

    Im so excited!

    woohoo

    lol soz

    Barney

  2. #18
    Banned StormPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    If you compare clock for clock (instead of rating for rating) you'll see an even larger difference. All Athlon XP's run higher clocks than A64's with similar ratings. Clock for clock there is really no comparison. Even with equal ratings they are not very close.

  3. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • athlon_xp_2800's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M3A78-T
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720 BE @stock
      • Memory:
      • 2x2Gb Corsair TwinX2 PC8500 C5
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Maxtor hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Elsa Geforce 7950GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450w
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 RC
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk 2Mbit Adsl
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcb
    But is it worth it, say going from my 2800 XP to a 64 bit 3200 ?
    I have done just that myself last year, and especially in terms of gaming performance it's quite a noticable leap forward, indeed. Seeing is believing!
    My Rig: 'Hellcat'
    Asus M3A78-T
    AMD Phenom II 720 @stock (for now)
    2x2Gb Corsair XMS2 PC8500 c5
    Maxtor 250Gb SataII, 6V250F0
    Nvidia Geforce 7950GT
    Pioneer DVR 110D (black)
    Akasa Eclipse 62 + window panel
    Corsair VX450w psu
    AG Neovo HW22 tft panel
    Creative P5800 5.1 surround system

  4. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    just ordered a Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer (skt 754)

    and a MSI Neo Platinum Motherboard

    from the buy/sell/trade forum

    What you think people??

    Barney

  5. #21
    HEXUS.social member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    8,530
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked
    261 times in 167 posts
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    It's a matter of personal opinion I suppose. I would class myself as an enthusiast in IT, but I won't go and spend around £200 upgrading to A64 yet when I feel there is no need to.

    My XP2500+ and 6800GT run everything I want at the top settings with no problems, so gaming is not an issue. I no longer need to worry about numbers given out by 3DMark software or how quickly my computer can calculate PIE as they mean nothing to me in real world activities, so that isn't an issue.

    Basically, if you are worried about people thinking less of you coz you have a 32bit system then upgrade. If your current system doesn't handle the games that you play at the framerates and settings you want then upgrade. If not, then there really is no need to IMO, especially not considering how much it is and when the "need" to upgrade comes around, the technology will be more advanced and a lot cheaper.

  6. #22
    Senior Member sawyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sheffield University
    Posts
    3,658
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    22 times in 21 posts
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    It's a matter of personal opinion I suppose. I would class myself as an enthusiast in IT, but I won't go and spend around £200 upgrading to A64 yet when I feel there is no need to.

    My XP2500+ and 6800GT run everything I want at the top settings with no problems, so gaming is not an issue. I no longer need to worry about numbers given out by 3DMark software or how quickly my computer can calculate PIE as they mean nothing to me in real world activities, so that isn't an issue.

    Basically, if you are worried about people thinking less of you coz you have a 32bit system then upgrade. If your current system doesn't handle the games that you play at the framerates and settings you want then upgrade. If not, then there really is no need to IMO, especially not considering how much it is and when the "need" to upgrade comes around, the technology will be more advanced and a lot cheaper.

    nod... nod.... I so totally feel that way. Having said that, A64 ratings still rocks. I'll always be the happiest person when AMD smacks Intel from La-la Land...
    Me want Ultrabook


  7. #23
    Banned StormPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    It's a matter of personal opinion I suppose. I would class myself as an enthusiast in IT, but I won't go and spend around £200 upgrading to A64 yet when I feel there is no need to.

    My XP2500+ and 6800GT run everything I want at the top settings with no problems, so gaming is not an issue. I no longer need to worry about numbers given out by 3DMark software or how quickly my computer can calculate PIE as they mean nothing to me in real world activities, so that isn't an issue.

    Basically, if you are worried about people thinking less of you coz you have a 32bit system then upgrade. If your current system doesn't handle the games that you play at the framerates and settings you want then upgrade. If not, then there really is no need to IMO, especially not considering how much it is and when the "need" to upgrade comes around, the technology will be more advanced and a lot cheaper.
    Nobody can tell you what you need. If you say you don't need a faster computer then I'm sure you don't. Even so there is no denying the slowest A64 will slap the fastest AXPs silly in games and most other applications whether a person needs it to or not.

    Your 6800GT is not realizing it's potential on your system though. Your CPU is the bottleneck for sure. That's to be expected though when your videocard is worth 3 times your CPU and motherboard combined.

    Worried about people thinking less of you? You've got to be kidding. People who get their sense of worth from their computers are very sad. Computers are for running software. Without programs they are useless. If your computer does what you need it to do it's stupid to upgrade.

  8. #24
    HEXUS.social member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    8,530
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked
    261 times in 167 posts
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Nobody can tell you what you need. If you say you don't need a faster computer then I'm sure you don't. Even so there is no denying the slowest A64 will slap the fastest AXPs silly in games and most other applications whether a person needs it to or not.
    True, I never once mentioned they would not be more powerful, just stating that you may not have the need to upgrade, and I bet plenty of people have upgraded just because they could.

    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Your 6800GT is not realizing it's potential on your system though. Your CPU is the bottleneck for sure. That's to be expected though when your videocard is worth 3 times your CPU and motherboard combined.
    I still deny that arguement. A ford chassis with a Ferrari engne in it would still be a damn fast car. The performance increase (visual) from my 9600XT is astounding and I got very good performance figures, back when I was into benching and overclocking, compared to a whole host of other systems.

    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Worried about people thinking less of you? You've got to be kidding. People who get their sense of worth from their computers are very sad. Computers are for running software. Without programs they are useless. If your computer does what you need it to do it's stupid to upgrade.
    There are some people around who could also be classed as sad as they think they are above everyone else coz they have A64 and SLI setups with dual TFT's etc when they don't need them, the same goes for cars and a lot of other "materialistic" things.

  9. #25
    lazy student nvening's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,656
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked
    31 times in 30 posts
    btw you can now download the x64 trial instead of having to pay 20$ to get it shipped.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  10. #26
    Banned StormPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    True, I never once mentioned they would not be more powerful, just stating that you may not have the need to upgrade, and I bet plenty of people have upgraded just because they could.


    I still deny that arguement. A ford chassis with a Ferrari engne in it would still be a damn fast car. The performance increase (visual) from my 9600XT is astounding and I got very good performance figures, back when I was into benching and overclocking, compared to a whole host of other systems.


    There are some people around who could also be classed as sad as they think they are above everyone else coz they have A64 and SLI setups with dual TFT's etc when they don't need them, the same goes for cars and a lot of other "materialistic" things.
    You can deny all you want but on an A64 your framerates would be much higher. Also, the videocard is not the engine, the CPU is. The videocard is more like the headers if you want to use the car analogy.

    People are not materialistic just because they can afford the best material things. Many times the rich are less materialistic than the poor. Envy does nasty things to people.

  11. #27
    Prize winning member. rajagra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,023
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    There are some people around who could also be classed as sad as they think they are above everyone else coz they have A64 and SLI setups with dual TFT's etc when they don't need them.
    Eh? What? Why are my ears burning?
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D; AMD64 3500+ Winchester ;
    2x XFX 6600GT ; Corsair XMS3200XLPRO TWINX 1GB;
    Dell 2405FPW TFT.

  12. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    10 times in 9 posts
    Also at the end of the day, to most people on these forums buying hardware and tweaking it is a hobby. I enjoy looking for parts when i need them and even dreaming of parts that i dont.

  13. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    The benifits of 64bit CPU's are very small at the moment but if you are planning on an upgrade, in my opinion 64Bit is the only way to go.

    One major benifit of 64 Bit is having the ability to address more ram and allowing one single process to use over 4 Gbs of RAM. (4 gigs for one process...!) Currently this is never going to be use. Still 64bit is deffinitly the way forward I think its worth it in many cases but in some cases its not. Its nearly a fancy marketing scheme which makes people feel the must upgrade.

  14. #30
    Banned StormPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphod
    The benifits of 64bit CPU's are very small at the moment
    If you don't need a fast computer they are small I guess. If you do the differences are quite profound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Worth upgrading my RAM?
    By trippinzippy in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-03-2005, 05:27 PM
  2. amd64; worth going the extra?
    By shiato storm in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 18-01-2005, 05:50 PM
  3. Worth Upgrading ?
    By RetroFunk in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-01-2005, 01:49 PM
  4. Worth upgrading my X800Pro
    By wedge22 in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 08:38 PM
  5. a teeny bit o' help...please?
    By shiato storm in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25-05-2004, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •