Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle sn95g5 + 9800 pro fan question

Thanks

Shuttle sn95g5 + 9800 pro fan question

Hi all, after doing a search, I decided to start this thread as I didn't seem to find the answer here. (actually got 2 Qs, so I'll post them in one thread )

1st question:

I'm thinking of buying myself a shuttle (Shuttle XPC SN95G5), the only prob is, I have a HIS 9800IceQ pro, which has something similar as the arctic cooling installed as gpu cooling. Now the problem is this takes up one extra slot, but there isn't one there since the AGP slot is located to the side of the case. So I would have to mount the card that way so that the cooler would be where the sidepanel of the case is now .

Now I was thinking of replacing the fan, with something more average, but does anyone have an idea which type of fan I can/cannot put on my card? :s. I was thinking of this one: http://svc.com/cf201-nbl-29.html
    But being almost 16mm high, I doubt it will fit, but I have no clue as to what size the fan CAN be and found nothing anywhere that stated such info...

2nd question

I'm thinking of putting in the next parts:
    AMD 64 3500+ venice
    1GB Corsair (prolly twinx matched pair)
    DVD-writer
    2 western digital 250GB sata/150 HDDs
    and the before mentioned 9800pro.

Willl this 240W PSU be able to pull this off? I mean, that's a pretty big load for such a "small" PSU... Just wondering.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Grtz,

Thanks
    First thing, step back from the WD hard disks - they're noisy and hot. NOT a good combination for a shuttle (they frequently require extra cooling via another case fan). Seagates are probably your best bet as they have good performance and a lot less noise.

You might want to look into the evercool VC-RE. It's probably the best single slot cooler you 'll find but an arctic cooler will fit into a 95G5 with modification to the drive cage (you're probably not going to want to do this ).

The 95G5 has some problems with venice core chips, if you buy from a shop make sure to test otherwise you may have a shuttle that can't cope with it. Only like 50% accept them without problems.

I'm unsure about RAM compatability with the 95 as it's very finnicky about what you put in it. As long as your selection is on the tested list of RAM on the shuttle webpage then you're alright.

Last thing: the shuttle PSU is very good. The 240W refers almost exclsively to the 12V rail (approx 17A AFAIK) which is more than most 350W ATX PSUs. I'm running my rig + a second HDD with the same model power supply with no problems.

Thanks
    Wow, thanks a lot . I'd love to keep the arctic cooling, but I'm not a casemod artist, so I'm not going to take that risk . Thx for the tip.

The prob is my friend going to make quite a trip for this baby (he's going to get computer parts in Germany). And I don't think he can test it out over there, so it seems I'll have to take my chances :s.

I can't really find the list of ram you speak of, I can only find a pdf with some specs of the g5 in it on the site, nothing specific about RAM brands and all really...

Thx a lot already

Purple Member
    Thanks
    • Tarffie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 (PC2-8500C5)
      • Storage:
      • 250gb + 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT 512mb w/ Accelero S1
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408wfp & 2405fpw
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 50Mb/s
    You'll be wanting to look at their global site then:

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Ba...N95G5%20V3.asp RAM list is at the bottom.

Oh and regarding the space, a bloke with a similar problem (difference being he only has a stock cooler on so can fit the card in) measured the distance and there was only about 6mm space though that includes the heatsink on the card. http://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/showth...s+card+cooling
    Last edited by Tarffie; 30-05-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    6m?? Oh boy, what cooler is ever going to fit in there? :s. Then even a stock cooler would be impossible no? Can't imagine a gfx card with a cooler not higher then 6mm (and then still have clearance to the sidepanel).

I've seen a test setup with a ASUS 9800 XT here on hexus. The cooler of this card can't possibly be lower then 6mm right? Just wondering before I blow all my money on this shuttle and then being unable to put a decent vga card in it...

Thx for the list anyhow, not much though, guess I'll have to try my luck with those too... I'm already wondering if I should buy this thing or not, sniff
    Last edited by VenQWish; 30-05-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Purple Member
    Thanks
    • Tarffie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 (PC2-8500C5)
      • Storage:
      • 250gb + 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT 512mb w/ Accelero S1
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408wfp & 2405fpw
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 50Mb/s
    nah mate, the 6mm is from the existing heatsink to the side of the case. Obviously if you take that off you've got more space.

Thanks
    aaah, I misunderstood . Well, now I'm just wondering how big the cooler can be in total... The evercool is 10mm in height, but I can't really find it in a store anywhere near me. Is 16mm too much? Sry for all the Qs, but I need to be sure before I put my money ino this...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarffie
    You'll be wanting to look at their global site then:

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Ba...N95G5%20V3.asp RAM list is at the bottom.
    That's not a wise link to base your RAM choice on. That's for the Version 3 of the SN95G5 and the V3 is not available over in Europe yet and is not in huge supply elsewhere as most stock is V2 (or even V1 ).

Main differences between V2's and V3's are the change of chipset from nForce 3 Ultras down the lower nForce 3 250 in the V3 (not a huge deal) and the change from Marvel chipset NIC's to using the nForce PHY in the V3’s.

V3’s are also supposed to fully support Venice, San Diego and X2 CPU’s but people are reporting that the V3’s are as hit and miss as the V2’s in this regard .
    "John Willis is a toaster that talks! - It knows your name.".

Thanks
    Goddamn, well it's ordered and I can't change a thing about it, I'll have to try my luck. Took Corsair valueselect 2x512 MB RAM CL2.5. I read about people using it succesfully so I can at least get my hopes up. Together with my Venice 3500+. If it doesn't work, well, then I'll thank shuttle for that. Thx for the advice, will keep you updated

Thanks
    If it doesn't work I'm sure you won't lose any money on the chip.

Thanks
    Any update on this? My fan's going out on my radeon 9800 pro and I need a replacement wondering if this worked. thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theokandroid
    Any update on this? My fan's going out on my radeon 9800 pro and I need a replacement wondering if this worked. thanks.
    Simple answer. No.

Unless you want to cut up your Shuttle only a single slot cooler is going to work.

Anything in a G series chassis has the AGP r PCIe16 slot on the outer edge of the case so you only have one slot plus a few MM to play with. P series chassis have the PCIe16 slot on the inside with the PCI or PCIe1 on the outside edge giving you some more space to play with (far from ideal amounts of space mind you).
    "John Willis is a toaster that talks! - It knows your name.".

Thanks
    check your pm theokandroid

Thanks
    Thanks good to hear the fan should work. One more question, sorry to bother, how loud is that fan VenQWish? Better than the stock fan?

Thanks
    Sorry, can't answer that :s. The Titan fan goes at less then 22dB and the spire one goes at 23dB. No idea what the noise rating is for a stock fan...

Thanks
    23db is pretty good, Ill check for the stock fan. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information