Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dual Core ?

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    You'd run Havoc in separate threads on a spare CPU, or the renderer, or the audio engine. Game engines are inherently designed with distinct building blocks like that in mind, that are slotted together. Multi-threading the CPU intensive ones (if possible, bearing in mind the performance penalties that can be had with multi-threading) is usually the first step to take.

The physics engine is what I'd take a look at first, since it's usually an inherently multi-threaded design anyway. Run the renderer and audio (and other peripheral code) on one CPU, put Havoc (physics) on the other.
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys
    ...the physics engine...
    I suggested the same thing to 'A.N.Xpert' - specifically for the processing model available within the Xbox 360

He got me focusing on :-
    (a) the power of the available core(s)
    (b) how much work could be done (needs to be done)
    (c) and how much of a model desktop CPU's time is allocated to things like physics and audio

Sorry I can't be more specific - but I can't remember what we have/not said about this publicly ...

...but you know what I am talking about - yes ?

I remember when the first HT stuff came out years ago and everyone was looking for that 'significant instant boost' to apps like Adobe Premiere etc...

...but the single core, 'don't need to rewrite nuttin for me' FX series etc still do a pretty passable job (!!!) of running most apps

When you get a chance, might be worth giving PD and Nick a bunch of questions for 'the thing' we are doing tomorrow...

...there might be a cool article in here somewhere
    "X800GT... snap it up while you still can"
    HEXUS
    ......................................August 2005

Thanks
    better AI would be possible too... surely?

while i think the online gaming is great, i do think AI is still left behind in 1998.... which is a great shame and it really needs working on

Thanks
    i want a x2 aswell lol but there so expenisive looks like im stuck with the xp with watercooling lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlag
    better AI would be possible too... surely?

while i think the online gaming is great, i do think AI is still left behind in 1998.... which is a great shame and it really needs working on
    I'd say thats more of a coding issue than hardware issue. Its hard to code credible "players". Too good, and you start wondering if they are not blessed with inhuman aims (or "cheating"), too dumb, and you'll mow them down by the dozens and laugh.

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej
    ...but you know what I am talking about - yes ?
    I Xhave Ba Ofair Xidea 3what 6you 0mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej
    When you get a chance, might be worth giving PD and Nick a bunch of questions for 'the thing' we are doing tomorrow...

...there might be a cool article in here somewhere
    I'll set something up with you and A.N.Xpert separately in a couple of weeks time methinks, if that's alright?
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Thanks
    dual cores not realy needed unless multi tasking but for an extra couple of quid, it's worth getting it for the 'bling' factor
    Last edited by webbyman; 27-07-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks
    The above is true, it is a lot easier for a programmer to debug a multithreaded program if the threads are distinct and arranged according to separate parts of the programme, for example physics engine and graphics set on different chips, rather than both multithreaded.

Thanks
    also remeber new x2 3800+'s are comming out soon at about £260 im taking by about 20th of August they should be avaible to buy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    If Quake III is multi-threaded it sure is a crappy implementation because the benchmarks do not show any advantage for multi-core CPUs.

Also, in gaming things like graphics cards have much more to do with game performance than CPU, especially with DX9 games. Even if games are written for multi-core and dualies it is not going to improve framerates much (if any). It will make for nicer gameplay and more realistic physics though if it is done well. The applications that I've seen which are purported to be multi-threaded are not helped at all by dual-cores in my tests.

Why do so many people refuse to pay attention to AMD? After all, they do make the chips. I also believe they understand better than most what the chips are good at and what they are not, and AMD has a much clearer picture of which applications will be multi-threaded and which will not be.
    Games with advanced dynamics (flight sims, racing sims possibly?) will show massive improvements from being able to tap more CPU power. Strat games like lets say Civ3/4 have very simple AI, but do you think thats because they want it that way? no its because they have not had the CPU power to do it. Civ3 with a massive world map and 32 civs waring each other takes 5-10minutes per computer turn (so x31).... If the game had been Dual core designed you could half that now, or they could have made it cleverer (is that a word? lol)

Shoot me ups etc wont have any reason to use dual cores really. However havnt you noticed that the 7800gtx's are CPU limited at almost every res untill 1600x1200?

Thanks
    I would look at lowestonweb, they have a X2 3800 for £235. Dual core on the cheap. I've ordered mine and will see if it is a dam site cooler than the 50-60degree S754 3200 I'm running/heating my room with.

Thread Information