• acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

Re: Seagate's HD RMA service?

argh :/ I got mine in December, so I'm almost at the 1 year mark! Im skeeered!!! All my data.

Thanks

To be honest, if you've got that much data, you should be making regular backups anyway.

For a bit of comfort though, when my 2 died (both within 3 months of use) I could still get everything off them. One made some rather alarming sounds, the other failed to be detected at all, but if I used the USB connection on my IcyBox I could get data off of both without issue. Neither work through my SATA controllers (either Intel or JMicron ones) but are recognised through USB. Last Christmas I even used one of them to dump some video clips onto while editing a large project, and it still works today as far as I'm aware, though only through USB.

3. Received thanks from:

acrobat (16-11-2007)

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks

My 320Gb 7200.10 started to make a very loud buzzing noise last week (like a bearing had died or something) so I set up an RMA for the item. I am a bit concerned about the number of 'it came back dead' reports so I gave it a couple of days to see what happened (the drive was still usable). It has since stopped making those sounds and seems to be acting normally now, so am unsure what to do?

Any votes for/against sending it back?

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

Quote Originally Posted by explicitlyrics View Post
    My 320Gb 7200.10 started to make a very loud buzzing noise last week (like a bearing had died or something) so I set up an RMA for the item. I am a bit concerned about the number of 'it came back dead' reports so I gave it a couple of days to see what happened (the drive was still usable). It has since stopped making those sounds and seems to be acting normally now, so am unsure what to do?

Any votes for/against sending it back?
    Vote yes from me. For sure! If you are entitled to it, I would go for it. I'd backup everything first, and then sort that RMA out.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    To be honest, if you've got that much data, you should be making regular backups anyway.
    But the problem with that much data, is that I can't just backup onto DVD's My two 320gig disks are ok, cause I just keep those mirrored and I don't fill them anyway. But my big 750 has all my music on. Every CD and DVD I own I've converted and stored on that, so if I lost it all I'd be gutted. Makes me think I should buy a second 750gig (western digi), just to mirror the first one. But that would cost me about &#163;110 :C Infact, I think I'm gunna buy that soon or its gunna bite me.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    For a bit of comfort though,
    That is quite comforting! Thanks. It also makes me think Seagate should be looking into their SATA controllers on the disks? Sounds like the actual disks might be ok.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information