Thread: Possible virus? !

Thanks

Possible virus? !

Hey all. 1 month ago i installed a b/new amd 64 mobo and chip. Everything was fine until after about 1 month in, something very strange happend. Oneday on a bootup, everything went ULTRA slow. And when i say slow i mean slower than a guniess snail- it would take an hour to boot, as if something was using the CPU constantly. If it managed to get any further then whatever i clicked, for example start menu, it would take a good few minutes before the menu actually popped up. If heard of viruses hogging all the cpu power before, but after pressing ctrl + alt + del, apparently only 5% spu is being used (unless it is a virus cloaking this). So after this, ive been forced to format and start again. 1 month later again after no problems at all, the same happens. However, this time its completly crippled, and my dvd rw drive even switches off periodically (actually powers out so i cant open it) even after a windows reinstall. What i found even weirder was that after checking the bios, the drive had moved over from pmaster to slave all by its self, then the next time i checked, it had vanished copmpletly, and after a final reboot it was back to normal again. Whats more, every time i click a hard disk or external drive i get a message "would you like to reformat".... After i thought i got it up and running today with windows and the mobo drivers, i did a reboot and it wont even get into the bios now! just a message saying "detecting nvidia bios" or something. So ive left it to rot for the afternoon, and buggered off back into uni to get on with some work. This then brought me here, as both an excuse to stop working, and in my neediness of help.

So, can any of you heros shed any light on this? Possible virus, route kit? or some sort of hardware issue? I've managed a complete avg scan and it finds nothing. Im normally pretty good with the puter, doing regular spyware, adware, registry cleaning and temporary file flushing. Im also worried that as this has happend before, it could be imminent again oneday.

Sorry for the essay,

Regards,

Kev

EDIT: I should also note that even system restore and safe mode do not solve any of the problems.???
    Last edited by themaidenmaniac; 05-01-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    If worried about a virus get rid of AVG and get a trial of something like Kaspersky or Fsecure or NOD32 just to be sure. AVG is ok but I have seen it miss stuff before now, that said its better than norton and mcafee and a fair few others
    Then see what they find. Have you opened any dodgy files? Been using Kazaa or other peer to peer? if not im guessing its more likely hardware. Have u tried setting the bios to defaults, maybe even updating it? What moby are u using? The dvd rw is a bit strange what psu have u got? if fact list your specs in detail probably easier.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zulander
    If worried about a virus get rid of AVG and get a trial of something like Kaspersky or Fsecure or NOD32 just to be sure. AVG is ok but I have seen it miss stuff before now, that said its better than norton and mcafee and a fair few others
    Then see what they find. Have you opened any dodgy files? Been using Kazaa or other peer to peer? if not im guessing its more likely hardware. Have u tried setting the bios to defaults, maybe even updating it? What moby are u using? The dvd rw is a bit strange what psu have u got? if fact list your specs in detail probably easier.
    Thanks for the reply dude- ive actually found what was doing it. Im running two computers off of 1 copy of xp home, with the same serial. I tracked it down in the end to a windows update called "software distribution service" so i guess its there way of getting back at me for doing this .

Kev

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themaidenmaniac
    Thanks for the reply dude- ive actually found what was doing it. Im running two computers off of 1 copy of xp home, with the same serial. I tracked it down in the end to a windows update called "software distribution service" so i guess its there way of getting back at me for doing this .

Kev
    Are you sure that what was causing it? Strange if it was.

Thanks
    It IS strange, my mate has got about 4 PCs running of the one serial. Nowt up with them. XP Pro that is.

My System: Coolermaster Centurion 5 (black) case, Intel E6750 Core2Duo, Tagan Easy-Con 530W, Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI, OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC, Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb SATA2 / 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA, 256Mb Sapphire ATI PCI-E X1950PRO, Creative X-Fi Xtreme 7.1, 19" Daewoo W9ZQ Black Widescreen TFT, 4Mb Virgin Cable Broadband (formerly Blueyonder) with Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G and DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks
    they have changed the security now i think

Thread Information