Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much is my CPU bottlenecking me?

Thanks
    Yeah, I have been looking at overclocking, because to not take that to at least 3Ghz would be criminal. I have no idea where to start though, but I will be looking into it.

Thanks.

Thanks
    • Barkotron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-A
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 850 Pro (OS), 512GB Samsung 840 Evo (Games), various other SSD/HDD (storage, work)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d GeForce GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Something Something 800W-ish
      • Case:
      • Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 x64 (fun!), Win2012 R2 (work)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HR27WD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobuo
    Just thought I'd post a conclusion for the benefit of people using this thread for reference.

I upgraded to a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 LGA 775. Has a bit of a lower clock speed than I'd have liked, but I got it with a straight swap for my Celeron, which was a bit of a steal.

3DMark05 scores increased from ~2400 to ~3200, and FFXIBench2 scores went from ~1500-H to ~3500-H. That's a big increase, and illustrates the point that Celerons definately suck for gaming. Essentially, if you're planning to do any gaming, you can't do any worse.

Oh, and those scores are before any overclocking.
    Cool. Did you notice any difference in actual games while you were playing them though, e.g. did they feel a lot better? Wouldn't that be the most important thing?

Thanks
    Oh, yeah, definately. The framerate never faulters on Doom 3 or FarCry anymore, whereas they did before when a lot was going on.

Could have sworn I wrote that earlier. Anyway, aren't benchmark scores more useful due to their objective nature?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)
    Could have sworn I wrote that earlier. Anyway, aren't benchmark scores more useful due to their objective nature?
    Depends on the bench mark.

Frames per Second in Quake 4 or HalfLife-2 is relevant to me, I tend to skip straight over 3dmark scores as they seem to be balanced too far towards the graphics card.

Anyway, congrats on the successful upgrade. How is Oblivion now? Not tried the game yet. I got Morrowind but my wife tried playing that and said there was too much dull wandering around before you got to random combat and that rather put me off. Have they sorted the combat out in Oblivion?

To briefly go back on topic ... If you plan any overclocking, you may be limited by your power supply. I don't think you said what the PSU was, and as you were only ever talking about swapping the Celery for a similar clock speed P4 I figured it didn't matter and so didn't ask! I'm sure you will be fine prodding it up to 3.0GHz, but unless you have an exceptional uATX case I wouldn't try any record attempts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix
    Depends on the bench mark.

Frames per Second in Quake 4 or HalfLife-2 is relevant to me, I tend to skip straight over 3dmark scores as they seem to be balanced too far towards the graphics card.

Anyway, congrats on the successful upgrade. How is Oblivion now? Not tried the game yet. I got Morrowind but my wife tried playing that and said there was too much dull wandering around before you got to random combat and that rather put me off. Have they sorted the combat out in Oblivion?

To briefly go back on topic ... If you plan any overclocking, you may be limited by your power supply. I don't think you said what the PSU was, and as you were only ever talking about swapping the Celery for a similar clock speed P4 I figured it didn't matter and so didn't ask! I'm sure you will be fine prodding it up to 3.0GHz, but unless you have an exceptional uATX case I wouldn't try any record attempts.
    lol, I wasn't going to go above 3.0Ghz anyway because I don't wanna move up from stock cooling. Unless anyone thinks that's unwise?

Oblivion's running very nicely now, I have the different video options set to High/Very High with all the other niceties enabled and it runs lovely, only drops a few frames when I turn quickly when outside. Combat is fun, very realistic, but I think your wife's Marrowind complaint is still valid as there's a lot of running from place to place before anything happens, and the optional stuff you can do is pretty boring for the most part.

Yeah, don't think they really broke the mould of Marrowind, if you don't like that I'd give Oblivion a miss.
    Last edited by Nobuo; 25-04-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    Standard cooler that came with the 520 should do 3.2ish fine.. going past that will 'as a rule of thumb' require better cooling..
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)
    Yeah, don't think they really broke the mould of Marrowind, if you don't like that I'd give Oblivion a miss.
    It wasn't the running around that bothered her, it was the the combat system that just seemed utterly random and so unrewarding at the end of the travels.

We had just been playing Might and Magic 6, which goes in the opposite direction: dire graphics, but excellent turn based combat.

Perhaps I will give Oblivion a try when it gets down to a tenner.

Thanks
    • Barkotron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-A
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 850 Pro (OS), 512GB Samsung 840 Evo (Games), various other SSD/HDD (storage, work)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d GeForce GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HR27WD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb
    Oh, yeah, definately. The framerate never faulters on Doom 3 or FarCry anymore, whereas they did before when a lot was going on.

Dunno really. I suppose what I was wondering about was whether you actually subjectively felt a benefit when you were doing what you bought the chip for i.e. gaming. Unless you actually bought it just to run benchmarks, in which case I'd guess you'd be pretty pleased .

Good that you found it a worthwhile upgrade though .

I wuv Oblivion. It has that annoying "oh good GOD is that the time!??!" quality to it though. Must... stop... playing... till... 3AM... then... getting... up... for... work.. 3... hours... later...

Thanks
    • Barkotron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-A
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d GeForce GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HR27WD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb
    It wasn't the running around that bothered her, it was the the combat system that just seemed utterly random and so unrewarding at the end of the travels.

We had just been playing Might and Magic 6, which goes in the opposite direction: dire graphics, but excellent turn based combat.

Perhaps I will give Oblivion a try when it gets down to a tenner.
    Combat system is much, much better than Morrowind. If you hit someone, you hit them, it's not a dice roll. The damage you deal is dice-roll dependent, but at least there's none of the feel Morrowind gave, which was "but I've just swung a massive 2-handed sword straight through that guy and it didn't even connect" at times. I guess if you want turn-based, you'll need to go somewhere else though, as it's entirely real-time swinging lumps of metal about. Personally, I love it .

Thanks
    Oh I see now, sorry. In that case, see Barkotron's post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information