Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 47

Thread: Who makes the worlds fastest laptop?

  1. #1
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,363
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    770 times in 349 posts

    Who makes the worlds fastest laptop?

    We get mails weekly asking who makes the fastest laptop… Well, we know that the 2 main contenders for this are Alienware and VoodooPC - but which is faster? Which would we recommend for the holiday season? Well we are now doing something - we want to publicly throw down the gauntlet and find out which is best. This is time to challenge VoodooPC and Alienware to a head to head to see who wins the crown of the 'fastest laptop' - Price limit - $5000 this means pretty much the systems can be the best either company can produce. So, are you up for it guys? Both of you claim to have the fastest gaming solutions on the planet... Lets see them!

    What doesn’t bother us is the Mobile solutions from ATi or NVIDIA, or the mobile or desktop replacement units from AMD or Intel. We want to see the real world application, we want to see which is fastest and brings the performance to YOU the end user.

    Update: We have had acceptance from VoodooPC that they want to enter this showdown - we are waiting to hear back from Alienware now.

  2. #2
    XTR
    XTR is offline
    Va-va-vooom
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    3,766
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    funky idea so all we are waiting for now is Alienware to accept the challenge too... OR are they scared? *chicken chicken*



    *Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

  3. #3
    td5
    td5 is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Dont mean to be rude, but isnt this a little pointless? How about comparing laptops in a _realistic_ price range for the masses, like around the £1000-1500 mark?

  4. #4
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,363
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    770 times in 349 posts
    Both systems will be given a 100% fair review, and the winner will be stated publically with the power of HEXUS award.

  5. #5
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,363
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    770 times in 349 posts
    Originally posted by td5
    Dont mean to be rude, but isnt this a little pointless? How about comparing laptops in a _realistic_ price range for the masses, like around the £1000-1500 mark?

    If you look at the pricing and specification of the laptops at the 2 companies sites:

    www.alienware.com
    www.voodoopc.com

    We want to know what the BEST is

  6. #6
    XTR
    XTR is offline
    Va-va-vooom
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    3,766
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by td5
    Dont mean to be rude, but isnt this a little pointless? How about comparing laptops in a _realistic_ price range for the masses, like around the £1000-1500 mark?
    I can understand where you are coming from with this comment... as not everyone has $5000 for a laptop. Although the prices are a bit extreme... i think the reviews are more about proving who is correct in saying "we have the fastest gaming solutions".

    Put their money where their mouth is!!!!



    *Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

  7. #7
    td5
    td5 is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by David
    If you look at the pricing and specification of the laptops at the 2 companies sites:

    www.alienware.com
    www.voodoopc.com

    We want to know what the BEST is
    I and many others would like to know what the BEST is within a practical price bracket...! Some of us are going to uni's next year and would find it more useful than knowing about the fastest laptops....

    ....And I wondered why I stopped visiting this site! Its almost like you editors and such need a new toy to play with, despite the fact there's no need for it to be done on a "review" basis for consumers! Yeah, "oooh that alienware is nice" for 5mins, but its bloody useless otherwise!

    (waits for ban )
    Last edited by td5; 09-12-2003 at 02:53 AM.

  8. #8
    Goat Boy
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Alexandra Park, London
    Posts
    2,428
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    My Dell Inspiron 8500 (1680x1050 resolution mmmm) can manage about 9000 3dmarks which I thought was pretty good for a snip over 1200 quid about 6 months back...
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

  9. #9
    td5
    td5 is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by DaBeeeenster
    My Dell Inspiron 8500 (1680x1050 resolution mmmm) can manage about 9000 3dmarks which I thought was pretty good for a snip over 1200 quid about 6 months back...
    Did that come with an NV28 or an M9?
    Ive been looking into Dell's lately, and so have a few friends.

  10. #10
    cs nub
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    hopefully aienware will be nice and put their best to the test. looking at the mad specs (for a laptop) its goin be a close call but i think the voodoo pc one will be the better. but i wouldnt run it on your knees for too long or it might get a bit warm down there

  11. #11
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,363
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    770 times in 349 posts
    Originally posted by td5
    I and many others would like to know what the BEST is within a practical price bracket...! Some of us are going to uni's next year and would find it more useful than knowing about the fastest laptops....

    ....And I wondered why I stopped visiting this site! Its almost like you editors and such need a new toy to play with, despite the fact there's no need for it to be done on a "review" basis for consumers! Yeah, "oooh that alienware is nice" for 5mins, but its bloody useless otherwise!

    (waits for ban )

    We won't ban you for your opinion you are more than entitled to do it. When you invite companies to submit kit you need to set a price bracket. It is high on this for the main reason - it is going to be very high spec units. We are not going to say bang for buck we are going for pure performance.

  12. #12
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,363
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    770 times in 349 posts
    Originally posted by pmk24
    hopefully aienware will be nice and put their best to the test. looking at the mad specs (for a laptop) its goin be a close call but i think the voodoo pc one will be the better. but i wouldnt run it on your knees for too long or it might get a bit warm down there

    We will compare thermals, battery life, as well as performance, networking and screen quality.

  13. #13
    td5
    td5 is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Then how about giving consumers what they want and doing some more mainstream units ready for summer time?

  14. #14
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,363
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    770 times in 349 posts
    Originally posted by td5
    Then how about giving consumers what they want and doing some more mainstream units ready for summer time?

    Because this is the first of many - we are currently doing a fully loaded £1500 shootout aimed at Students and the like, as well as a media centre bash too - we are trying to do everything but it does take time.

    Of course your input is valid, and if you would like to compile a list of units you would like to see compared or reviewed we will work on it.

    We are just breaking in to the systems market from learning from the ground up what is hardcore within a system and what isnt.

  15. #15
    cs nub
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by td5

    ....And I wondered why I stopped visiting this site! Its almost like you editors and such need a new toy to play with, despite the fact there's no need for it to be done on a "review" basis for consumers! Yeah, "oooh that alienware is nice" for 5mins, but its bloody useless otherwise!
    the thing is there is a market for these machines (or why would they make and sell them) and im sure that many hexus readers (including myself) would like to know how both compare head to head.

  16. #16
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,363
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    770 times in 349 posts
    Originally posted by pmk24
    the thing is there is a market for these machines (or why would they make and sell them) and im sure that many hexus readers (including myself) would like to know how both compare head to head.

    Indeed but there is other segments of the market, we are going to deal with high end first since it will filter down

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •