Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 x 512Mb or 2 x 1Gb ? to get up to 2Gb.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Sorry but i dont agree with any of those comments.
    a). If you buy matched units then instability isnt an issue. To have dual channel they only have to be matched pairs. Memory DOES NOT have to be identical to run Dual Channel either. Although it helps its not a forgone conclusion.

b). You wouldnt get instability either. Dual channel may not enable thats all.

c). There is no fact at all in the statement that the OC is better with 2x1gb rather than 4x512mb. If the motherboard is decent then the very small extra load has no effect at all.

d). Longevity of mobo depending on the less on the Northbridge is also incorrect. As said above, the tiny bit extra on a decent mobo will not even be noticeable.

The ONLY place there may be a small problem is if you have a poor PSU. The extra load from 2 extra DIMMS may have an OC effect.
    If you have a half-way decent PSU though, this will have no adverse effect either.

I see you are a Corsair techie and maybe your memory although decent enough is a 'bit touchy' sometimes shall we say so maybe you were just talking from a Corsair point of view.

I use Crucial Ballistix and its extremely fast and not as fussy.

Try the Crucial test to see what kind of memory is required: http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CNe...FQKIEQodsC_Cig
    Blitzen, you are ignoring some basic laws of physics and electrical circuit dynamics. Disagreeing with me is fine but, your advice here is wrong. If you want to promote Crucial that's cool but don't hand out bad advice just to try to make your point.

If you will note, I did not state any absolutes regarding instability. I have tested hundreds of MOBOs over the years with every brand of memory you can think of and probably some you can't. I assure you and the original poster here that mixing memory is not the best way to get to 2gb and, if you choose to OC (note he's on a 875 based MSI MOBO) that you can in fact get a better FSB speed with 2 DIMMs vs 4.

This is not really the place for a running debate as the OP here just wants to make a decision on memory. However, if you will do some reading and Googling, you will find THOUSANDS of users over various forums using any MOBO you can think of and any brand of memory you can think of that have problems when mixing memory. It is not always a problem but, it is still not advisable.

From the MSI manual:
    However, the same type and density memory
    modules are necessary while using dual-channel DDR, or instability may happen.
    They plainly state this because mixing ICs or even different revisions of memory can potentially cause problems.

MSI Link: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=554&kind=1

Dave 07, good luck with your upgrade. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable
    YellowBeard sounds much more correct and actually backs up what he says.
    His points are good, Blitzen however yours arent and from what ive read and heard 2 Sticks is better than 1.
    Im not saying you are 100% wrong Blitzen but your points make no sense really.

Id say 2x1GB it will run 1T and there is also a less chance of instability or compatibility issues.
    But cost wise i can understand why you may for for 2x512mb's and then get another set as 2GB's have gone sky high price wise.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I would go with the 2 x 1gb simply because it takes up fewer slots so you can add more in the future if upgrading

Thanks
    Yep and you arent wasting any money if you did want to upgrade in the future.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Blitzen, you are ignoring some basic laws of physics and electrical circuit dynamics. Disagreeing with me is fine but, your advice here is wrong. If you want to promote Crucial that's cool but don't hand out bad advice just to try to make your point.

If you will note, I did not state any absolutes regarding instability. I have tested hundreds of MOBOs over the years with every brand of memory you can think of and probably some you can't. I assure you and the original poster here that mixing memory is not the best way to get to 2gb and, if you choose to OC (note he's on a 875 based MSI MOBO) that you can in fact get a better FSB speed with 2 DIMMs vs 4.

This is not really the place for a running debate as the OP here just wants to make a decision on memory. However, if you will do some reading and Googling, you will find THOUSANDS of users over various forums using any MOBO you can think of and any brand of memory you can think of that have problems when mixing memory. It is not always a problem but, it is still not advisable.

From the MSI manual: They plainly state this because mixing ICs or even different revisions of memory can potentially cause problems.

MSI Link: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=554&kind=1

Dave 07, good luck with your upgrade. Please let me know if I can help in any way.
    1. I found a very insignificant difference from using 2 sticks to 4 sticks of the same memory.
    2. I didnt say at all that mixing memory was a good thing to do. I said it was possible to mix and still get dual channel without problems. I didnt say i should be done though.
    3.The IC's on many modules are from the same stock anyway. You obviously know your electronics so you would probably know that to be true aswell.
    4. I didnt promote Crucial at all. Its the example i used because there site is very good and useful.
    5. Its exactly the place for running a debate.....its a forum

If you notice, alot of the other posters are also talking from actually using different configurations. You may work for a memory company but it certainly doesn't make you right and the other posters, including myself wrong.
    I posted and responded to things i have had first-hand experience of, as did some others,which in my view, is the correct thing to do.
    Last edited by Blitzen; 26-11-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    3.The IC's on many modules are from the same stock anyway. You obviously know your electronics so you would probably know that to be true aswell.
    4. I didnt promote Crucial at all. Its the example i used because there site is very good and useful.
    5. Its exactly the place for running a debate.....its a forum

If you notice, alot of the other posters are also talking from actually using different configurations. You may work for a memory company but it certainly doesn't make you right and the other posters, including myself wrong.
    I posted and responded to things i have had first-hand experience of, as did some others,which in my view, is the correct thing to do.
    b). You wouldnt get instability either. Dual channel may not enable thats all.

c). There is no fact at all in the statement that the OC is better with 2x1gb rather than 4x512mb. If the motherboard is decent then the very small extra load has no effect at all.
    Dave 07, do you have the info you need? Typical forum etiquette discourages thread hijacking but, this side discussion still has misleading and incorrect information

Blitzen,

3. There is absolutely no way that anyone can buy new modules now made with the same ICs as the memory that the OP is using here. So, a person buying memory now and mixing it with the PC3200 the OP is using would be mixing ICs which can potentially cause issues. In the past, some MOBOs were better at others at handling mixed ICs. Based on what I have seen, the MSI boards did not handle mixing ICs as well as others.

I have seen cases where different revisions of the exact same IC will not run together. I have seen this on both AMD and Intel platforms. When someone buys our memory we stand behind it so I am certainly not going to hand out shaky advice with nothing to back it up. Keep in mind that you are on a totally different platform using a different brand and 2 different types of memory. You have not clearly stated your 2 gb kit specifications nor have you outlined your OCing methodology. Yours is hardly a valid comparison.

4. In one sentence you criticize our memory then in the next, you promote another brand. That's cool but you are still mostly incorrect. So, the OP here could buy (Crucial or Corsair) based on your advice and easily come out with memory that doesn't work together.

I have been an enthusiast MUCH longer than I have worked for Corsair. This is my hobby and my job. And, none of this is what makes me right or wrong here. What makes me correct is that I have our lab testing and years of experience troubleshooting memory problems to back me up. The memory companies and the MOBO companies both back up and plainly state what I have posted here.

5. A forum is for discussion. However, this post is by Dave 07 trying to get solid advice on a memory upgrade. So, this thread is NOT the place for a running debate between us or for handing out unsupported advice.

b. You can get instability doing this, you are plainly wrong. Also, if you have DIMMs in the proper slots, stable or not, the MOBO will attempt to operate in dual channel. I don't understand your reasoning or what point you are trying to make.

c. You are absolutely incorrect here for a variety of reasons.

Dave, thanks for using Corsair and good luck with the upgrade.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb
    Well, as i can see that you are not interested in normal discussion and only promoting your brand then why bother commenting in the first place.

To try and put me down because:
    a). I dont agree with you. Whether you are a techie or not doesn't disuad from the fact you are wrong.
    b). I mentioned your memory can be touchy/fussy. Can you really deny that? I doubt it as most brands can.
    c). Your IC information is way off the mark and Dual Channel CAN be made without identical IC's. Being a techie and supposedly knowing about electronics you should know that. I do agree its better to have matching modules but its by no means a must.
    d). To apologise for hi-jacking a thread is also incorrect. Advice was given and you hi-jacked it by name dropping you brand.
    e). This is a forum and if you don't like people promoting other brands (that are as good if not better) then too bad. Its what a forum is for.
    f). If this is the general way techies :/ for Corsair act then i'm VERY glad i don't use them as from experience OCZ, Crucial and Kingston have all been well-mannered and knowledgeable.
    Last edited by Blitzen; 26-11-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks
    I think the OP has 2x256MB memory at the moment, he is looking to buy either 4 x 512MB or 2 x 1GB. I would guess the IC compatibility is likely to be less of an issue. If you want really fast modules then 512MB are most likely to be the fastest, but if you plan to overclock, a system generally overclocks more with 2 sticks of memory v's 4. Balance that against the fast speed of the 2 x 1GB that you can get.

Dave_07 are you looking for cheap or Performance ram? If you play games alot maybe cheap ram and new video card would be a better option to getting Performance ram.

When I was choosing memory the 512MB modules could go faster but were expensive. I looked at some 512MB and 1GB modules with the same timing, the 1GB were cheaper so I got them.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname View Post
    I think the OP has 2x256MB memory at the moment, he is looking to buy either 4 x 512MB or 2 x 1GB. I would guess the IC compatibility is likely to be less of an issue. If you want really fast modules then 512MB are most likely to be the fastest, but if you plan to overclock, a system generally overclocks more with 2 sticks of memory v's 4. Balance that against the fast speed of the 2 x 1GB that you can get.

Dave_07 are you looking for cheap or Performance ram? If you play games alot maybe cheap ram and new video card would be a better option to getting Performance ram.

When I was choosing memory the 512MB modules could go faster but were expensive. I looked at some 512MB and 1GB modules with the same timing, the 1GB were cheaper so I got them.
    Good post!!
    The sweeping statements made by Yellowbeard lose significance when countered with actual experience from using different modules from other manufacturers as well as the one he represents.

Thanks
    Dave 07, did you get your memory upgrade sorted? Just curious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information