Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Should I upgrade or not?

  1. #1
    Thundercats Ho! starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    1,327
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    29 times in 19 posts
    • starbuck's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Deluxe Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb
      • Storage:
      • 2x500gb Samsung spinpoint in raid 0, 320gb diamondmax SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT240
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 850watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Dell(rebadged sony) trinitron CRT
      • Internet:
      • 20mb cable internet connection

    Should I upgrade or not?

    I've had my current system for about 2-3 years now(see below) and my only upgrade in that time has been the xfi card.

    Was thinking of upgrading and poss looking at a core 2 duo.
    Going this route would involve near enough a new sys as would have to change the mobo, gfx card(as I was looking at the p5b deluxe mobo which doesn't support agp) and have to find a ide-sata convertor(don't even know if they exist) as would like to keep my optical drives and my hard drives.

    a few questions:

    1: How much of my current sys could I realistically transplant into a new mobo(even if I don't go for the above one) as the 6800gt has always done me well(although I know DX10 is round the corner so would have to upgrade at sometime anyway), would the current memory speed cause a big bottleneck?

    2: How much roughly would I be looking at for the new kit(if I assumed I went for a 6300 or 6400 processor, 2 gig ram, decent mobo and maybe a good gfx card)

    3: Is it worth waiting for the new amd processors to come out before upgrading(as I've used only amd for past 10 years)
    I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Stevenage
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I've got a 6800gt still and I'm loathe to replace it until I have to. Id wait for DX10 cards to mature on that before making the plunge.
    All comes down to how much of a budget you have....


    If on a budget...
    ASRock DualVSTA mobo (supports PCI express, AGP)
    E6300 or E6400

    When you are ready to go PCI express & DX10, you can upgrade with minimal fuss.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade to Windows XP and get a FREE gift certificate worth £40
    By Mithrandir in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 25-08-2006, 03:16 PM
  2. BT Business Broadband upgrade DELAYED
    By speedy_s in forum Networking and Broadband
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-03-2005, 03:28 PM
  3. The eternal upgrade dilemna
    By MiLaMber in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •