Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 17

Thread: Arctic 64 Pro cooler

  1. #1
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Arctic 64 Pro cooler

    Just set up the following PC

    A8N32-Sli Deluxe
    AMD X2 4200
    2 Gig Corsair RAM
    Samsung 80 Gig hard drive
    7900 GTO graphics card
    Silverstone STF60 PSU

    I'm using an Arctic 64 Pro heatsink and fan on the cpu but the only way I've found to fit the 64 Pro is the wrong way around, ie the fan on it faces the back of the case and blows air towards the front of the case.

    I've tried turning it around but the fan on the 64 Pro then prevents either of the first two RAM slots from being used.

    Am I missing something really obvious here or is the Arctic 64Pro incompatible with this motherboard?

    I've booted it up with the Arctic Pro fitted the wrong way around and the BIOS shows the cpu and motherboard temps after about an hour of idling, with the side panel off, as 44c and 41c respectively. Is that too high?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,091
    Thanks
    1,495
    Thanked
    2,919 times in 2,366 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps
    Reverse the fan so that it's pulling rather than pushing, while still facing the rear of the case.

  3. #3
    Old Fool!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    1,027
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    37 times in 31 posts
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Reverse the fan so that it's pulling rather than pushing, while still facing the rear of the case.
    Nice one!
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

  4. #4
    Not mad just max with a long beard Mad-Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    On my own island somewhere
    Posts
    849
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    20 times in 18 posts
    • Mad-Max's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus or Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • Intel
      • Memory:
      • Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA all the way
      • PSU:
      • Corsair or Seasonic are good
      • Case:
      • Any that looks nice and has great cooling
      • Operating System:
      • XP/7 and any thing else
      • Monitor(s):
      • Big widescreen will do
      • Internet:
      • Some thing nice and fast with no cap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    Just set up the following PC

    A8N32-Sli Deluxe
    AMD X2 4200
    2 Gig Corsair RAM
    Samsung 80 Gig hard drive
    7900 GTO graphics card
    Silverstone STF60 PSU

    I'm using an Arctic 64 Pro heatsink and fan on the cpu but the only way I've found to fit the 64 Pro is the wrong way around, ie the fan on it faces the back of the case and blows air towards the front of the case.

    I've tried turning it around but the fan on the 64 Pro then prevents either of the first two RAM slots from being used.

    Am I missing something really obvious here or is the Arctic 64Pro incompatible with this motherboard?

    I've booted it up with the Arctic Pro fitted the wrong way around and the BIOS shows the cpu and motherboard temps after about an hour of idling, with the side panel off, as 44c and 41c respectively. Is that too high?

    TIA
    Those tempertures seem fine to me, just leave it blowing the air to the front of the case as it will keep the ram cool at the same time

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Sorry everyone. I am an idiot.

    Just tried again to fit it the correct way and yes it does fit.

    Cheers to those who replied.


  6. #6
    Not mad just max with a long beard Mad-Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    On my own island somewhere
    Posts
    849
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    20 times in 18 posts
    • Mad-Max's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus or Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • Intel
      • Memory:
      • Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA all the way
      • PSU:
      • Corsair or Seasonic are good
      • Case:
      • Any that looks nice and has great cooling
      • Operating System:
      • XP/7 and any thing else
      • Monitor(s):
      • Big widescreen will do
      • Internet:
      • Some thing nice and fast with no cap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    Sorry everyone. I am an idiot.

    Just tried again to fit it the correct way and yes it does fit.

    Cheers to those who replied.



  7. #7
    Late Night Ninja! CrazyMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    44 times in 43 posts
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable
    My idea was. Make the back fan on the case draw in go through the CPU then out the front. Reverse the whole flow.

    But as its ok

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey View Post
    My idea was. Make the back fan on the case draw in go through the CPU then out the front. Reverse the whole flow.

    But as its ok
    This is never a good idea if the PSU is at the top of the case, as you'll be drawing it's hotter exhaust air back into the case.

  9. #9
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb
    Quote Originally Posted by scrandman View Post
    This is never a good idea if the PSU is at the top of the case, as you'll be drawing it's hotter exhaust air back into the case.
    You are spot on!
    The fans within a case are designed to:

    a) Front fans - to draw air into the case.
    b) Back fans - to draw warm air out of the case
    c) PSU fan - Draw out warm air and expel it
    d) Normal CPU fan - Push warm air up to PSU and draw out
    e) Artic Cooler - Draw cool air from front of case, over the CPU HS and to exhaust at back fans
    f) Side fan - should draw cooler air in and then exhausted by PSU and back fans

    Any other way will upset the positive/negative pressure within the case and effect cooling. If this is followed then temperatures will definitely be lower.

    PC cases just look like a hunk of metal(or plastic, but they are mostly all designed with this in mind.
    Suprising thing is, you would expect the manufacturers to put this in the case specs so people know.

  10. #10
    Senior Member manwithnoname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    26 times in 25 posts
    I have that M/B and HSF and as you have work out they fit ...
    Just out of interest what are your temperatures like at load - say running prime on both cores. I've got all my fans running the 'right' way see Blitzen's post. I have similar CPU load temperature to your idle temperature - my opteron is clocked at 2.2Ghz. Just looking for a idea of how much cooler my case makes things.

  11. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    East Kent
    Posts
    389
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    11 times in 11 posts
    • spiral out's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E
      • CPU:
      • q6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair xms2
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Extream 120GB Samsung 500GB/1TB Seagate 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520
      • Case:
      • Enermax Ostrog white
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ViewSonic 22” VX2255wmb
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre 40/10
    I have an asus A8N-E and the Arctic 64 Pro heatsink and fan cooling my 4200 X2 overclocked to 2.68Ghz it runs at around 50 using prime.

  12. #12
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname View Post
    I have that M/B and HSF and as you have work out they fit ...
    Just out of interest what are your temperatures like at load - say running prime on both cores. I've got all my fans running the 'right' way see Blitzen's post. I have similar CPU load temperature to your idle temperature - my opteron is clocked at 2.2Ghz. Just looking for a idea of how much cooler my case makes things.
    With my spec (and my CPU is notoriously hot anyway) i get:

    Idle: 36c
    Load: 43c

    For £17 thats fantastic performance

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Papa Lazarou's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55M-UD2
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 4gb OCZ PC12800
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9800GT 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 430w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Philips 22"
      • Internet:
      • 8mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    You are spot on!
    The fans within a case are designed to:

    a) Front fans - to draw air into the case.
    b) Back fans - to draw warm air out of the case
    c) PSU fan - Draw out warm air and expel it
    d) Normal CPU fan - Push warm air up to PSU and draw out
    e) Artic Cooler - Draw cool air from front of case, over the CPU HS and to exhaust at back fans
    f) Side fan - should draw cooler air in and then exhausted by PSU and back fans

    Any other way will upset the positive/negative pressure within the case and effect cooling. If this is followed then temperatures will definitely be lower.

    PC cases just look like a hunk of metal(or plastic, but they are mostly all designed with this in mind.
    Suprising thing is, you would expect the manufacturers to put this in the case specs so people know.
    How about a top fan?

    I have:

    2 x 80mm fans at front drawing in
    1 x 80mm fan at rear blowing out
    1 x 80mm fan at top which is currently blowing out
    Obviously PSU fan as well.

  14. #14
    Senior Member JPreston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    124 times in 74 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Reverse the fan so that it's pulling rather than pushing, while still facing the rear of the case.
    Nooooooo then the profile of the fan blades will be curved the wrong way and hence the fan will be much less effective.

    Also, there is no fan shroud on the 64 Pro - the fan is attached by a point at the back of the axle - so it would not pull air through the cooler, but rather in from around the tips of the blades.

  15. #15
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
    How about a top fan?

    I have:

    2 x 80mm fans at front drawing in
    1 x 80mm fan at rear blowing out
    1 x 80mm fan at top which is currently blowing out
    Obviously PSU fan as well.

    A fan in the top of the case should ALWAYS extract.
    YOu have the correct set up

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Papa Lazarou's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55M-UD2
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 4gb OCZ PC12800
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9800GT 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 430w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Philips 22"
      • Internet:
      • 8mb
    Nice one. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro in Antec2400 Case
    By supersan in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-12-2006, 05:17 PM
  2. Fitting an Arctic Cooling cooler to an X800XL
    By 8bit in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-03-2006, 09:14 PM
  3. Arctic VGA cooler in Shuttle?
    By MAS in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •