• Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps

CoD4 Problem

Hi,

Having reinstalled CoD4 and working my way painfully back up to lvl 55 coz I couldn't get my old profile to load, I am having a weird problem. I never noticed this until the past few months but it's really starting to get on my nerves and affect my performance.

First of all, I normally have a low ping under 60ms, I also join servers in seconds and map switches I'm usually one of the first waiting for others to join before the match starts. So, this leads me to think that my connection is quite fast.

However, in game I find myself watching kill cams (I only play on these servers now) as it's quite interesting to pick up things and find out where campers are. However, I've noticed this problem coming up a lot. The only way to describe it is to say that my response times to seeing someone seems strangely slow. As an example, I run around a corner, come face to face with an opponent, shoot him and hit him several times and I then die. When watching the replay my char sometimes doesn't even shoot, let alone hit him.

Now I know my hand eye coordination isn't as good as it used to be, I'm not an uber player, but it seems that whenever I come face to face with someone, I WILL die and the replay always shows me not shooting at all, even though I do and normally hit multiple times.

I know this is a normal problem with online gaming, but it's getting so bad for me now that I constantly have negate k/d ratio's. The only time I can get positive k/d ratios is when I camp with a sniper or another long range weapon as I'm pretty good with a sniper. But levelling up other weapon skills is damn hard as I never hit anything in close combat and I barely see anyone else having this problem.

Does anyone know anything that can be done to counter this? I've tried searching to improve my FPS (which is currently maxed at 75fps along with my refresh rate on my CRT) and I have optimal settings for seeing surroundings and players which has really helped with long distance sniping and I hardly get any screen lag from smoke now, but nothing affects this close combat problem.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • l3ni3r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator DDR3 Triple 6GB 3x2GB 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 300GB Velociraptor; 150GB Raptor; 300GB Maxtor DM10; 320Gb WD Caviar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA nVidia 280 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT01 Black w/window
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP (Digital) 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20Mb

Re: CoD4 Problem

Hey there, I know this is a late reply, and I'm sure you've come across resolution to your problems. But most players now employ a multitude of configs to do just this and gain the upper hand however slight. I noticed that you didn't mention that you used any configs or commands to alter the default values of the game mechanics. There are many out there on the net, and many do work very well. The most blatent is the 125fps or the 250fps lock, this enables you to do certain jumps and get to elevated areas and so on.... Snaps value and certain show values as well as fov can always help. Look around and see what helps you.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: CoD4 Problem

lo Allen

Without getting as far involved as the previous poster says, you need to know some stuff.

If you stand and WAIT for someone to come round a corner, you inevitably get the kill, while they THINK that they've shot you. That's what you're getting. I used tio get it, so I didn't run round corners so much and my kills got better!

The thing is, that you COULD start fiddling with your game settings, to restrict your frame rate to certain limits, and then match your data packet send speeds to the same exact amount, and improve pings hugely, BUT, its a huge amount of faff, you start blaming the PC and your settings and stop enjoying the game. Capping your frame rates to certain "key" numbers helps. But also some servers kick you for it!

I've done all this and I have now stopped fiddling and just play...slower.

I still wonder why I KNEW I was looking at him and shooting at him, but in the replay, I was looking somewhere else! and was just turning when I died!

It works in reverse too. Someone with REALLY bad ping (250 ro 300) who is used to it, does really well, and you just cant hit them cos they lag all over the map!

FOV is usefull. Field of View. You can google it and find the line for your Config file... you can make your field of view a fraction wider than default. But to be fair, you gotta be a really good player to see whats going on anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thread Information