Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Games + Media.

Thanks
    I think the whole thing about blaming the games that kids play is an easy cop out. The game can't talk back, and if the companies who make them speak out and say that they are given a rating for a reason and they won't stop making them, they are made to be the bad guys.

It's just parents looking for excuses.

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks
    mike_w is right, computer games are the whipping horse here for this, just typically a scape goat for, coverering up a more darker reeason behind why he did it.
    Under Development...

Thanks
    Blame it on parents!

OK so thats a snap reaction but hey they were in charge of the guy for YEARS. They brought him up, taught him right and wrong (supposedly) etc.... but apparently the few hours he spent playing a game, which isn't even real, are more influential. Go figure!

Slick, however, does have a point, when I've been playing a driving game for a few hours I do need to have a break from it before going driving in the real world because I've found myself thinking I need to take the racing line at the next corner. I've never done it or even come close to doing it but I take the break anyway to really make sure. The same thing DOESN'T happen to me when I play 'violent' games because I'm old enough to separate the real world and the game world.

The kid should never have been playing the game, but I think he would have done it even if he hadn't been playing the game looking at all the other facts that I've been able to see.

It reminds me of when the Columbine shootings were blamed on a combination of Counter Strike and Marilyn Manson... such a load of crap!

Thats my 2p's worth!

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    it was recently revealed that the victim owned & played the game, not the killer.

the killer was just a smack-head after cash for drugs.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    Hence it provides a basis for our argument, they jumped on the band wagon and blamed games for the devils work, burning at the stake and all that. It was on the news a while ago saying the lad who killed was a junkie.

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    it was recently revealed that the victim owned & played the game, not the killer.

the killer was just a smack-head after cash for drugs.
    If that is true then all that own manhunt are in danger! They must return it to the shops or face gruesome death. For it is proven - playing manhunt is the most dangerous thing you could do.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    • wilsonian's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X570 TUF
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen R7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung1TB 970 EVO M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX570 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
    acording to my sister who works at wh smith when the papers they said they wanted it band the very next day WH Smiths SOLD OUT of all copies of man hunt!

can you beleive it! thats one way of getting your sales figures up!

Thanks
    Ah! The whole 'influence of the media' debate.

Me being me, I like to keep things as simple and clear as possible.

So,

Point 1 - That the media (TV, films, game) have an effect/influence people is self-evident. That is, why on earth would companies spend millions on commericials if they didn't influence people? Why would other companies spend money on merchandising and clothing? What are commericials if not small films etc with an agenda?

Point 2 - No-one (or very few) is suggesting that by being exposed to a piece of media suddenly results in your being controlled by it. People have responsibility for their own actions. Other factors count - such as the personality and mental state of the individual, their prior experiences, their upbringing etc. It's absurd and deceptive to suggest that those who argue for an effect by the media are actually affirming that "the media MAKES people do things".

Point 3 - Where does all the crap in the world come from? Thin air? No. It comes from people. People are the ones who invented the worst forms of torture, methods of killing, sick forms of behaviour. The sickest films, novels, and games, come out of the minds and lives of people.

What makes anyone do anything? Small children and some others are uncontrollably influenced. But most of us choose what we let influence us? Everyone is influenced, we just make decisions about what it is we let in. The criteria varies - what's good, what makes money, what makes me happy, what brings me pleasure, what makes sense, and scarily, more and more these days, what's cool.

While we're at it - what's education or learning, if not brain-washing yourself? Convincing yourself of things, believing things, accepting things.

Point 4 - What comes into your household is your responsibility, especially as a parent. Your child is your child, not the government's. Nor does the government know what is best for it, so don't expect it to. Take an interest in your child, and don't just try to pacify your child, teach, love and discipline him or her.

Games have an effect - on everyone - people then choose how they respond to that. That response, and that ability to respond vary according to the individual.

As for suing - too many people today look to the government to live or look out for their lives, to be responsible, what this world needs is ore people to take responsibility for their own actions.

Yes the government should set a standard to help people make a choice, but it's the people who get to make that choice. Also, the current systems should be made to work properly before being dismissed. Get stronger policies to check ID's and not sell to anyone below that. Maybe even to make sure they advise a parent before fulfilling a purchase.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    Slick, however, does have a point, when I've been playing a driving game for a few hours I do need to have a break from it before going driving in the real world because I've found myself thinking I need to take the racing line at the next corner. I've never done it or even come close to doing it but I take the break anyway to really make sure. The same thing DOESN'T happen to me when I play 'violent' games because I'm old enough to separate the real world and the game world.
    Spinach I think sort of has a point. He said that he takes a brake after playing a driving game before he drives for real. I think this will only (or at least mostly) happen with driving games. It's because your then doing a similar thing to what you were doing in the game.

If you were given a gun after playing a shooting game (and were also annoyed/angry at someone), then maybe people will have a greater feeling to be violent. I think it greatly depends on the situation of the game, and whether people come accross that situation in real life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information