Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is alcohol acceptable?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimborae
    Just as I point of interest I said tobacco not cigarettes. Pipe & chewing tobacco were hugely popular in this country before cigarettes were invented. Also can you give dates as to when alcohol & cigarettes were banned as I've never heard of that before. I was under the impression that prohibition in a Christian society was a purely American thing.
    http://www.tobacco.org/resources/his...story20-1.html

Chewing tobacco, etc isn't quite the same as todays cigarettes which have 1000's of ingredients added. It's safe to say (I think) that only in the last 100 years has smoking started to have a detrimental affect on peoples health.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1

Although tbh I think that all drugs should be legalised and controlled, give people the freedom of choice to do with their bodies as they wish - aslong as they are properly informed. Plus this would drive the prices right down (competition)- hopefully helping to stem the tide of crime that extends from some drug users. The quality of the drugs available would also improve dramatically as retailers/dealers would be competing in an open market as opposed to an illegal one. The number of 'bad hits' and pills floating about mixed with rat poison etc should drop dramatically...
    Out of interest, how old are you? Cos this is the same disillusioned line of thinking I saw from my stoner mates back when we were 14-15.

do you honestly think you'd see grams of smack, coke, rocks of crack, bottles of e's and ounces of weed up there next to the Rizlas and Royals?

Thanks
    "Chewing tobacco, etc isn't quite the same as todays cigarettes which have 1000's of ingredients added. It's safe to say (I think) that only in the last 100 years has smoking started to have a detrimental affect on peoples health."

Actually that's mainly just because people are living longer & lots more people smoked in the 1900s than they did before due to there being HUGE amounts more tobacco available & at prices that they could afford. I have to say that I dont agree that heroin is safer than alcohol, even properly cut. It doesn't take a huge overdose to cause complete shut down and death, and while alcohol causes more in terms of sheer numbers of health problems, this is simply because most people drink some quantity of alcohol, whereas very few use heroin. The idea that many drugs aren't as harmful as alcohol is also a load of crap...have a look at the number of people who spend large portions of their lives in mental institutions due to cannabis use (despite relatively few regular or heavy users) and then tell me it's not as dangerous as alcohol. Having said that I live in Cardiff, and the city center on a weekend night is a complete disgrace...i think more needs to be done to cut down on drunken behaviour...not completely sure that that's possible though
    If a man talks in a forest & there's no woman around....
    Is he STILL wrong?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakey
    Out of interest, how old are you? Cos this is the same disillusioned line of thinking I saw from my stoner mates back when we were 14-15.

do you honestly think you'd see grams of smack, coke, rocks of crack, bottles of e's and ounces of weed up there next to the Rizlas and Royals?

No i dont think it will ever happen, its going to be years before cannabis is even going to be given a chance of being legalised, let alone the rest - It would need a radical change of governtment to happen, and lets face it its unlikely to be anytime in the near future. im 19 btw, and not a 'stoner' as such, not a daily smoker, just on occasion as i once would have done with alcohol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information