Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 17 to 32 of 53

Thread: Global Warming - We could be in big trouble...

  1. #17
    G4Z
    G4Z is offline
    I'dlikesomebuuuurgazzzzzz G4Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    geordieland
    Posts
    3,172
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    141 times in 93 posts
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    ahhh man you totally blew me out ther... actually no and when I get back from Barcelona I will take you on point by point but from the looks of your "shakey trying to justify SUV" maths it shouldnt be a problem.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

  2. #18
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Global Warming is happening, what we don't know is when its going to start to become a major problem for the world.

    Its all fine and well being green using less fuel and such, but its small fry compared to the big producers of harmful gasses , USA, China and now India. Even if the whole of the UK stopped making any harmful gasses (impossible I know but work with me here ) It would not dent the gasses produced by the other country, and its not highly likely that the big 3 will stop producing those gasses anytime soon.

    It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few decades though

  3. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    yup, thats why i for one couldnt care less, because i cannot change it, i dont care what any blue peter presenter says our country has no impact on the grand scale.

    as long as im dead before anythoing happens lol

  4. #20
    G4Z
    G4Z is offline
    I'dlikesomebuuuurgazzzzzz G4Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    geordieland
    Posts
    3,172
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    141 times in 93 posts
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    oh man, what a load of crap, if everbody thought like that then we would have a real proble.. hold on a sec, we DO have a real problem. Maybe we should all cut down our carbon footprint, and fair enough the UK isnt the worst but we are certainly not as environmentally friendly as we could be, to say that "oh well I may as well not bother because the US and China are worse" is some kind of straw man dodgy justification for being a selfish git.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

  5. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked
    328 times in 262 posts
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by G4Z View Post
    oh man, what a load of crap, if everbody thought like that then we would have a real proble.. hold on a sec, we DO have a real problem.
    What problem is that?
    There is still not enough evidence that mad made emissions are the cause of Global Warming, nor is there rock solid evidence that it is actually happening!
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

  6. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G4Z View Post
    oh man, what a load of crap, if everbody thought like that then we would have a real proble.. hold on a sec, we DO have a real problem. Maybe we should all cut down our carbon footprint, and fair enough the UK isnt the worst but we are certainly not as environmentally friendly as we could be, to say that "oh well I may as well not bother because the US and China are worse" is some kind of straw man dodgy justification for being a selfish git.
    quite right its not the attitude but luckily everyone doesnt think that way so im ok am i not. mate you only get one life i for one am not gong to go around living it half cocked or wasting time on things that wont affect me, im not interested whether its the right way to think because i know its not, but as i said not many people share that view so that means i can do as i please and will.

  7. #23
    Senior Amoeba iranu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    On the dinner table. Blechh!
    Posts
    3,532
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked
    156 times in 106 posts
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by badass View Post
    What problem is that?
    There is still not enough evidence that mad made emissions are the cause of Global Warming,
    true
    Quote Originally Posted by badass View Post
    nor is there rock solid evidence that it is actually happening!
    false.

    Global warming has been happening for approximately the last 10,000 years since something called the ice age ended.

    And this is why it is difficult to asses the impact that man made emissions are actually having.

    There is no control sample in the experiment, we are simply living it. No-one knows if global warming is a good or a bad thing and in any case if it all goes belly up I'm sure that something more intelligent than man will crawl out of the sea in a million years time in order to repeat the experiment.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

  8. #24
    Капраз dkmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    On an invisible submarine
    Posts
    3,077
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked
    17 times in 12 posts
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • 620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by badass View Post
    So someone that buys a nice diesel Volkswagen Golf and mows down 35 people on the way to school because they are drunk is a reasonable person.
    How stupid a statement to make.
    What? How? Eh? Argh! I normally can't be bothered to spend too much time joining heated debates... But I couldn't ignore this. How does this have anything to do with a conversation. I really can't find the words to describe what I think about this quote... Well done for moving the argument to a new level of irrelevant comments I suppose. Have a star or something...
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

  9. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked
    328 times in 262 posts
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by dkmech View Post
    What? How? Eh? Argh! I normally can't be bothered to spend too much time joining heated debates... But I couldn't ignore this. How does this have anything to do with a conversation. I really can't find the words to describe what I think about this quote... Well done for moving the argument to a new level of irrelevant comments I suppose. Have a star or something...
    G4z's entire criteria for a reasonable person have been stated based on whether someone uses a 4x4 to drop the kids off at school. I presented a riduculous scenario that shows how ridiculous his statement was to make.
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

  10. #26
    Капраз dkmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    On an invisible submarine
    Posts
    3,077
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked
    17 times in 12 posts
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • 620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    You failed. You show how ridiculous what you said was though...
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

  11. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked
    328 times in 262 posts
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by dkmech View Post
    You failed. You show how ridiculous what you said was though...
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

  12. #28
    G4Z
    G4Z is offline
    I'dlikesomebuuuurgazzzzzz G4Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    geordieland
    Posts
    3,172
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    141 times in 93 posts
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    DK is right, when I get home tomorrow il give you a full reply.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

  13. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    i just ate a whole big bag spicy flavoured doritoes...and....well... the gaseus results..arent comfertable INSIDE...so i rekon mother Earth is gonna be pissed at me in a bit.
    seiously though, i rekon its a bit too late, you know what i mean after we've set our heels in our relience for technology and electricity, it seems that lesser developed countries have always in some ways paid for say, i dunno, fashion labels and GM testing, trying medicines out on 3rd worlds, it wouldn't suprise me at all if global warming was seen first in say, mount Kilimonjaro where ice actually begins to melt !!

  14. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    true
    Not enough evidence? What do you define as not enough? As you say yourself it is incredibly hard to be anything like certain, but the evidence we do have suggests fairly strongly that man-made emissions are in no small part to blame (according to the IPCC, anyway, from the little I have read).

    Equally, say we assign a probability that the acceleration in global warming is due to manmade emissions. How low does that probability have to be to justify a laissez faire attitude towards cutting down carbon usage?


    Quote Originally Posted by badass

    The truthfull answer is you dont know. None of us do. Not even scientists that pretend or even believe they do.

    You can hardly say we are in deep doodoo when you dont know.
    Talk about missing the entire point of the scientific method. The vast majority of climate scientists (who I am prepared to cede to, you may believe otherwise, in which case I hope you live within a metre of sea level to show off the strength of your self-belief) are agreed that:

    a) global warming exists
    b) it's accelerating
    c) the effects on humanity's current way of life given our current knowledge of climate, even in sympathetic models, is going to be pretty damn serious.

    Now, we can either:
    Do nothing, and hope that all the models are wrong/the effects will be less costly than the effort to avoid them (there, I've mentioned the counter-argument for you, as I don't want to make you look any more ridiculous, and it's actually where the pragmatic side of this debate occurs, in my decreasingly humble opinion)

    or

    act on the information we do have.
    Last edited by Byatt; 28-09-2006 at 11:54 PM. Reason: grammar police

  15. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Global warmings real, crap, a couple of months ago Bush stated a study where he said evidence from satellite measurements and sensor boueys told us the planet was actually cooling, what he didnt say was that the measurments for the baseline were taken in the evening, for the rest of the 5years (or so) measurments were taken earlier in the day- when EVERYwhere its always cooler earlier in the day, than later!!!

  16. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked
    328 times in 262 posts
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Byatt View Post
    Now, we can either:
    Do nothing, and hope that all the models are wrong/the effects will be less costly than the effort to avoid them (there, I've mentioned the counter-argument for you, as I don't want to make you look any more ridiculous, and it's actually where the pragmatic side of this debate occurs, in my decreasingly humble opinion)

    or

    act on the information we do have.
    I never said anything about doing nothing, and personally believe we should attempt to reduce wastage personally.
    However I'm not going to ram that down anyones throat, nor am I going to campaign on something that has negligable effect on manmade emmissions.
    The point that is being missed by most is that the best way to solve any problem that is widespread is to attack the things that have the biggest effect per pound spent first, and work their way down.
    4x4's have a negligable effect and people excersize their right to buy what they want.
    If you follow the anto 4x4 argument through, everyone will be forces to drive small cars with sod all power that they hate.
    All anti 4x4 arguments follow for large saloons, sports cars etc
    In fact all luxuries will be banned since they are a waste.
    Whilst the body thats only justification for its existence (The IPCC) is Global Warming may bang on about it, I chose to see the data for myself and have concluded that the strongest evidence for it (the results from monitoring stations all over the globe) is shaky at best and much of the data suggests that it is nowhere near as bad as made out, and that the link to mans activity is pretty much non existent.
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [HARD DISK] Big trouble!
    By Mancho in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-09-2005, 03:37 PM
  2. Big Trouble
    By dendill in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:41 AM
  3. The Big Chill - Horizon
    By Devilbod in forum Question Time
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-05-2004, 04:46 PM
  4. The Big Upgrade
    By grand_witch in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17-03-2004, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •