• Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

Re: Budget Gaming PC Build

I would probably look to downgrade the cpu a bit in order to get a SSD, maybe slightly better gpu etc.

Most modern cpus shouldn't have any issues running games.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Take it you are going with the MSI Gaming theme

I5-4670K - Yeah it is overclockable but remember you'll probably need to up your cooling when you look into the 4.4-4.5Ghz range. Also if you are dead set on overclocking I'd suggest taking a look at those second hand chips I posted, 4670K/4770K - just because you really do pay a premium for the K chips where you only squeeze a few hundred Mhz out.

Board - It'll handle an overclock just fine. But of course if you are going to look at a locked chip you may as well opt for a lower down chipset, B85 or H87, unless you need the features on Z87.
    The sound blaster cinema software layer (on top of Realtek ACL1150 I believe) is actually pretty decent, better than the bland vanilla ACL1150 anyway

RAM - Just something to look out for, G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz or G.Skill RipJaws X. Although let someone chip in about the IMC of Haswell, not entirely sure how sensitive they are to higher voltages.

GTX 760 - Apparently according to reviews the Twin Frost is very quiet, so good deal, unless you already have watch dogs?

Case - I like that case!

EDIT: Yeah GeorgeStorm made a good point, LinusTech did a review about the performance of modern Intel chips and found in most cases an I3 can keep up pretty well due to not games not fully utilising more than 4 threads. So your options aren't thin by any means.

That said what other things do you do with your computer? Just so you can shape your build around other tasks as well
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

3. Received thanks from:

Rocketshoes (09-05-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

I was very interested in getting that i5 from cex cause it's £20 cheaper, but I don't know if it comes with the stock cooler (hoping to upgrade later on), I also saw some cheap RAM there as well: https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...B#.U2ozQfldX7Q - What do you think? Haha the whole MSi theme is particularly because the parts are good value, powerful and look brilliant!

No i've not preordered Watch Dogs yet because I saw they're bundling them free with the graphics cards so I thought, why not save myself some money!

I like a lot of the features of the board, the audio included! But as i'm probably definitely gonna get an unlocked CPU, and overclock in the future, it seemed like a good option!

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Ah true, I doubt it comes with the stock cooler. I have bought quite a bit from there.

But bare in mind overclocking won't necessarily net large gains in gaming. What games are you going to play?

Also that RAM you linked is out of stock

The board is very nice. I do love the MSI Gaming theme Watchdogs pre-order is £36 on Amazon so yeah not actually bad deal. The GTX 760 is a pretty strong card, Otherwise I would of probably mentioned the R9 280. The 760 will game perfectly at 1080P.

Otherwise I'd probably opt for THIS BOARD and a 4770 . That'll save a bit to go towards an SSD or a bit more money in your pocket. The 4770 turbos up to 3.9Ghz anyway.
    Last edited by mikeo01; 07-05-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

6. Received thanks from:

Rocketshoes (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

CEX occasionally have stuff at decent prices, but you do need to take the usual caveats about buying second hand. With CEX you at least have the benefit of physical stores to take stuff into though, and when I had to return a GFX card once they took it back and reissued store credit no questions asked.

And if the CPU doesn't come with a stock cooler just buy a decent aftermarket one with the money you're saving on the chip

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

They also provide 12 months warranty with everything now which is a nice addition

Registered+
    Thanks

Something like this then: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3FNFL (Spec-03 = Spec-01, and i7 from cex @ £150). Not sure if I want to sacrifice the overclocking ability - but if it turbos up to 3.9Ghz anyway there shouldn't be too much difference right? Anyway I'm quite happy to spend less money if I can still get a decent build. Could you recommend a decent cooler under say £20. I assume i'll need to get thermal paste as well? Cheers!

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

I personally wouldn't bother for going with overclocking in mind. I have had a thought and a discussion on here about it recently for my current build and the general consensus is pretty much "overclocking is near pointless". The manufacturing process is getting smaller and smaller, so we will probably see less and less overclocking headroom with minimal gains.

Considering most chips get to 4.4/4.5Ghz you'd need some hefty cooler as they run hotter than Ivy. Although if you are dead set on it don't let me sway you it is your call but just bare in mind you'll need to up your cooling and stick with the Z87 board if you do.

£20 for cooling, I'd probably recommend an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 or Freezer 13. Coolermaster Hyper 212 or 412S or Xigmatek Gaia. May have to look around a bit for prices but its going to be better than the stock heatsink and quieter.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I would get a Xeon E3 1230 or a Core i7 4770 TBH,and a B85 motherboard and put the rest into a better graphics card.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Warning about the Corsair Spec-01 and aftermarket coolers, there's a lot of potential issues as the case is so narrow.
    Corsair offically says max cooler height is 150mm although apparently you can get 157mm tall cooler in there, although you will lose the ability to fit fans in the top if you do use any 120mm fan based tower cooler.

This rule out something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or Xigmatek Gaia and the vast majority of 120mm fan based tower coolers.
    So a 92mm fan cooler is probably your best option, the old freezer 7 pro or freezer 13
    Although the 152mm tall Zalman CNPS10X-Optima is probably your best best as a cheap cooler.

The other words of warning about the Corsair Spec-01 is it have very limited space behind the motherboard for cables, which can make good cable management a bit tricky and time consuming.
    Even though the top fan mounts are offset there's still very little space in there for fans, esp with motherboard top edge vrm heat sinks and 4/8pin connectors (as are on the MSI Z87-G43-Gaming motherboard)
    If you're not planning of fitting fans in the top you'll be ok, but if you are then you'll be better off looking at other cases and you'll need to put more money into the case.

Also worth noting it doesn't come with a rear fan and can take 140mm fans in the front, so I'd suggest repositioning the 120mm front fan to the rear and getting one or two 140mm fans to put into the front.
    Something cheap around 1000rpm would be fine eg http://www.scan.co.uk/products/140mm...00rpm-rifle-ba so you'd want to add on another £10-15 for a pair of 140mm fans

In the current market for £38 the Corsair Spec-01 isn't a bad budget case, but it is a budget case, as long as you remember that it's ok.

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketshoes View Post
    Hey, would this be ok then if I am serious about overclocking in the future: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3FtY8 (Just swap the Spec-03 for a Spec-01). I'm hoping to build something that will be able to play Watch Dogs quite well!
    Not so bad. Will you qualify for free shipping from Aria?

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok,this will probably be my final build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3GHlA (Again, Spec-03 = Spec-01, and i7 from cex @ £150) What do you guys think? Will it be able to run Watch Dogs well? The parts on part picker which are currently coming from Aria, are actually going to come from Amazon and Scan, which I do have free delivery for, so that won't be a problem. Also, the B85 motherboard doesn't have dual channel support, I'm not entirely sure what this means so would someone mind clearing it up? The current overall cost for my system is now about £540 with discounts, etc, so I'll have some money spare to get an ssd. Thanks again!

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Dual channel memory? It does

4770 + GTX 760 = Game on you shouldn't really have any problem with any game at 1080P; only those ridiculously demanding ones. According to IGN you'll need a 7970 for Ultra specs; the 760 is like a 7950 (sometimes worse, sometimes better).

Although, seen as WatchDog is nVidia exclusive I guess it'll be more optimised for it. Besides, once it has been patched up after release performance will start to increase - Always the same with games

16. Received thanks from:

Rocketshoes (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

/double post !!

Thanks
    • dacads's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D 7870 Black (Tahiti LE)
      • PSU:
      • XFX 550w
      • Case:
      • Casecom 6788
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Ultimate

Check out the Raijintek Aidos, a 92MM fan cooler that outperforms the CM 212 evo!

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketshoes View Post
    Ok,this will probably be my final build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3GHlA (Again, Spec-03 = Spec-01, and i7 from cex @ £150) What do you guys think? Will it be able to run Watch Dogs well? The parts on part picker which are currently coming from Aria, are actually going to come from Amazon and Scan, which I do have free delivery for, so that won't be a problem. Also, the B85 motherboard doesn't have dual channel support, I'm not entirely sure what this means so would someone mind clearing it up? The current overall cost for my system is now about £540 with discounts, etc, so I'll have some money spare to get an ssd. Thanks again!
    I would still choose a lower PSU (450W instead of 550W to increase the efficiency). Also, same as Mike said, that board supports dual channel (not even really sure if it really depends on the motherboard anymore as the controller is integrated in the CPU). Too bad you haven't went for the noFAN CPU coler (next time I am building a system will sacrifice my fee to go for a noFAN CPU cooler and test it).

Also your system should smash Watch Dogs, especially with GPU overclock (with some luck up to 10% extra performance).

Quote Originally Posted by dacads View Post
    Check out the Raijintek Aidos, a 92MM fan cooler that outperforms the CM 212 evo!
    By a minimal difference plus he would have to pay postage for the cooler thus increasing the overall price for the cooler, as opposite the current choice which comes from Amazon and comes with a free shipping.

Thread Information