Thread: Overclocked CPU preventing Boot Up

Thanks

Overclocked CPU preventing Boot Up

I received my new 3XS SLI 480 OC - Custom Series system on Friday and got round to plugging it in on Sunday and frankly I've been having problems since Day 1 when it would not boot up (power light on, hard drive access light flashing at set intervals, monitor remains on standby). After a forced shut down or reset, it then tends to boot.

At first I thought it was driver issues, no such luck. Then this morning I received the "Overclocked Failed" Message. After a chat with one of Scan's Tech Support staff, I was informed about the stored BIOS settings and how to access them and how to set up a correct Power Management Profile in Windows. After doing this, I reactivated the overclock profile. However, not long ago I attempted the final test by shutting it down and waiting a while before switching it on again. Unfortunately, the problem remains.

In short, whenever I do not overclock my CPU by loading Profile 1 (3XS Standard), it works fine but whenever its overclocked with Profile 2 (3XS Overclocked), it will not boot first attempt. I've even moved the machine to a more open, airy location and still no luck and I really don't want to have to leave the side panel off.

This is my first overclocked system and I have no real knowledge, plus I ordered this system pre-built as I wanted to avoid all the hassle and issues of tinkering around inside as the last one I ordered and "built myself" (my friends did most of the work, I watched) and that gave me almost 2 years of grief. Also, the non-overclocked CPU speed is too low, I was planning to go a step up but after Tech Support told me that they can overclock it with no hassle and to the same speed no matter which processor I chose, I went for the lowest of the three choices.

So thats my situation, any advice? I really don't want to have to drive all the way back with the machine and have it looked over or the processor replaced with a non overclocked one I'd have to pay for.

System spec is as follows:

ANTEC P183 MID TOWER CASE
    ASUS P6X58D-E MoBo
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366 (OC'd to 4.0 GHz)
    12GB COR DDR3 1600MHz HEAT/S
    2GB XFX HD 5970 BLACK EDITION
    CAIR 1000W CMPSU-1000HXUK
    240GB CSSD-F240GB2-BRKT FORCE (Boot drive)
    2TB WD SATA2 WD20EARS 5400RPM (x 2)
    Clabs X-FI Titanium Fatal Pro
    MS Win 7 Pro 64bit OEM

Note: Also its purely an air-cooled machine with one of those Megahalem heatsink "towers".

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Re: Overclocked CPU preventing Boot Up

Hi

Please restart the system make sure you have no external drives USB pendrives etc plugged in as this can affecf the boot order

Load the OC profile and then instead of exiting the bios check the boot section and make sure the system has the correct hard drive at the top of the hard drive list and that hard drive is your first boot device

Once you have adjusted this if necessary press F10 and see if the system starts ok

If not email your invoice and Build number to systemsupport@scan.co.uk and I will look into this for you

Regards

Ben

Thanks

Since plugging it into a spare LCD TV I had, its become a more stable but not 100%. In fact, it was always booting up as I could hear the Windows music via the speakers, just had no picture. I'm awaiting till I get hold of a new monitor before seeing if the problem has been solved.

Also, rather than start a new topic, I have a query regarding Overclocking. Its my first time with an overclocked CPU and only recently have I learnt about the probability of a CPU's lifespan being degraded by overclocking. With my processor overclocked from 2.8GHz to 4.0GHz, this is a significant jump and I amk worried on the impact it could have on its life. Therefore, considering that the system was installed with 2 3XS BIOS settings, Standard & Overclocked, I was considering running it on Standard at 2.8GHz and only loading up the overclocked BIOS when I need the extra power (i.e. gaming, graphics, etc). Will this help reduce the degradation of the CPU's life and will the computer have any issues with swapping round the BIOS profile every now and again?

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi FX102A

Using the system at Standard for general use and only OC for games is a good way of reducing the wear on the CPU The profiles in the bios are designed for this reason and if you are using a game or application that doesnt like the OC of the system

We generally use Retail CPUs in our systems (Check your Invoice) and these are warrantied by Intell and Scan to run at the OC speeds plus a retail CPU has 3 year manufacturers warranty so that should give you extra piece of mind

Email your build and Invoice number to systemsupport@scan.co.uk I will check on the system details as maybe the XFX card may need a Bios update, there was an issue with some of the earlier cards that was addressed by flashing the card bios

Regards

Ben

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi

I have checked the system spec and you indeed have a Retail CPU

You could lower the BCLK frequency to get the CPU running at 3.6 to test

If you want to know how to do this I will send you an email through your query

The XFX card should also have the latest bios version but you can check this with XFX on their website if in doubt.

Regards

Ben

Thanks

Hi Ben

I reduced the BCLK Freq. to 180 for a 3.6GHz CPU and the issue remains.

I also did download and install the latest Graphics card drivers (though I believe I got it from the ATI website, not the XFX one) on the day I first set the system up. I'll check the XFX website tonight and uninstall / reinstall the GPU drivers. I also believe I have the latest Motherboard drivers but I can double check, though I'm sure I have no CPU drivers (if any actually exist or could this affect the overclocking?).

On a side note, it seems that I'm currently in contact with yourself with regards to this issue both via e-mail and through this forum as I did the BCLK Frequency change following an e-mail you sent approximately a week ago. Please notify me as to which form of communication you'd prefer.

Thanks again for the help

Thanks

Hi,

I don't know if you've conversed with Sanj in Ben's absence? He's looking after the mails Ben's been dealing with and may prove to be a quicker method of contact this/next week whilst Ben's off.

The display disappearing when entering windows indicates that's the is a gfx output issue. Windows swaps up from vga mode to SVGA mode at the point you mention and it could be a number of things.

The drivers are set too high for what the screen can do (can be reset in safe mode or on another screen)
    Either the cable or monitor is faulty or won't take the preset resolution.
    The output of the gfx card is faulty.

As it's outputting to the tv it isn't the last one. I'd go into the machine on the tv display and reset the resolution to 1024X800 as a test and then plug it into the monitor. If it then displays adjust the rez until it's back where it should be.

Pete.

Thread Information