Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scan 3XS - Constructive Criticism

Thanks

Re: Scan 3XS - Constructive Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
    <picture>
    Can you please refrain from posting things like this? It serves no point what so ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

2. Received thanks from:

Chris P (18-02-2009)

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi Rufus

The onsite company work within office hours Monday to Friday 9-5:30
    They dont have to come out to a specific home address they will come to a work place or another address if this is more convenient and can be quite flexible, we send any required parts out to them and they contact the customer once the parts have been received to arrange a suitable date and time.

Please try the memtest again overnight, we do have another option if an onsite is too much trouble as is returning the system, we can send replacement memory out for you to fit yourself if you are happy to do this (this is something we can do for customers with technical knowledge who are happy to replace the memory themselves only and is an offer only to assist with your situation)

Please let us know the results of the memtest on the system tomorrow

Regards

Ben

Registered+
    Thanks

Morning,

As you know the memtest went well. I woke up this morning to find it had done 19 passes with no errors.

I had less joy with the registry fix. The cumulative security update for IE7 still keeps failing.

Registered+
    Thanks

Right, an update.

On 19th I was advised to restore from the Acronis system restore and allow the updates to run while holding back the one that had failed. In some ways this was quite a painful solution as it involved reinstalling a lot software but in others it was actually quite good as it allowed me to set up some user accounts and manage different folks' profiles in a way I had been in too much of a hurry to do the first time. I suppose the best thing about the solution was that it worked. I was able to install the failed update and the system has seemed noticeably more stable, I wonder if this had a lot to do with the GFX BIOS being up to date this time and not causing all the crashes that had plagued the initial switch on.

Since doing this I have had no crashes and the wife's application crashes are most likely due to the application/OS and nothing to do with Scan.

Although I still have reservations about the ordering process the support has been good. In the interests of fairness I would like to re-address my original criticism. I've left out the ones where I've nothing new to say.

- If your website gives misleading delivery dates: fix the website.
    This one still stands. Although it does say to ignore the dates in some communications it is misleading. It can't be too complex to skip this step for a system build surely?

- If you say you keep the customer informed then keep the customer informed.
    I think we've covered this in plenty of detail. If you have a good hard look at the history of this order you will see that I wasn't kept informed, just responded to, it depends if you have the will to look into it I guess.

- Do not use City Link.
    They are terrible, this is not your fault. I don't think there is much competition at the moment.

- Do not ship systems without the latest BIOS and driver patches.
    I did see your response to this, though I think you might have been referring to the Mobo BIOS. I think almost all the issues I had were related to the GFX BIOS which needed updating to get it remotely stable for me and is what i think was behind the bulk of the issues I ended up with. It might be worth looking into this for 4870 cards and generally checking the card BIOS as well as the mobo if you don't already.

- Do not ship systems without the latest OS updates.
    I take this one back completely. The update I had problems with came out after you shipped the system so I fully accept that you do ship with the latest updates, it just looked to me that it hadn't.

- Do not fool yourselves that customers running diagnostics constitutes support.
    This is a tricky one I guess. I was pretty hacked off with the whole thing when I wrote that but I accept it's difficult to find the balance between the customer not having to send the system back and remote diagnosis and that over the course of the issues you actually did it very well. Cheers.

Registered+
    Thanks

Congratulations Rufass and Scan team!

Thread Information