Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying my first scan 3xs system, advice?

Registered+
    Thanks

Smile Buying my first scan 3xs system, advice?

Hi everyone, happy new year!

I am in the process of thinking of buying a good gaming PC system in the next month or so and Scan appears to be the name which keep cropping up for quality builds.

Now I don't pretend to be a PC expert by any means, I have a budget of £2k maybe a little bit more and no more than £2.5k.

I have cobbled together a system using the scan website, but I would be interested to see if anybody from Scan or elsewhere had any advice? Changes? etc.

System Overview

Custom Coloured Cases: *No Custom Colour Required*
    Case: Coolermaster RC-1100 V2 Cosmos S (Sport) Black Silent Full Tower Case
    CPU: Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4.8GT s QPI 8MB Cache Retail
    CPU Coolers: Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme 120mm Heat Sink Fan
    Overclocking: 3XS System Core-Logic Overclocking*10 - 20%*
    Memory: 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) CAS 9-9-9-24
    NVIDIA Graphics - Multi GPU SLI Options Available: *No NVIDIA VGA Card Required* (ATI Required)
    ATI Graphics - Multi GPU Crossfire Options Available: 2GB Sapphire HD 4870X2 3600MHz GDDR5 750MHz GPU 1600 Cores
    Power Supply Unit: 1000W Corsair HX Series Modular (Dual Graphics Cards SLI Crossfire)
    System Drives: 300 GB Western Digital WD3000GLFS VelociRaptor 10000 rpm 16MB Cache
    Storage Hard drives: 1000 GB Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 7200 rpm 32MB Cache
    Solid State Drives: *Solid State Drive Not Required*
    Floppy Drive Flash Card Readers & Writers: Akasa 3.5" Internal Multi Memory Card reader & USB 2.0 Port
    DVD Writer: *DVD Writer Not Required*
    Blu Ray Reader Writer: LG GGC-H20L - Super Multi DVD Writer & Blu-Ray + HD-ROM Reader
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card 7.1Ch
    Gaming Network Card: *Use On Board Network Port*
    Internal External (USB) Wireless Adaptors: *Wireless Adaptor Not Required*
    Case Cooling Fans: 120mm Coolermaster Internal Case Fan with BLUE LED
    Lighting Effects: *Lighting Effects Not Required*
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit
    Software - Application: MS OFFICE 2007 - 25 Usage 60 Day TRIAL Basic SBE & Professional
    Software - DVD Blu Ray Decoding: Cyberlink Power DVD V7
    Software - Security: *No Software Required*
    Software - Hottest PC Games: *No Software Required*
    TFT Monitor: *Monitor Not Required*
    Gaming Keyboard : *Gaming Keyboard Not Required*
    Gaming Mouse Option: *Gaming Mouse Not Required*
    Gaming Mouse Mat: *Gaming Mouse Mat Not Required*
    Speakers: *Speakers Not Required*
    Extended Warranty: Standard 3XS System Warranty

And the standard stuff:
    3XS X58 Core i7 System Asus P6T Deluxe - Intel X58 - Sok 1366
    2 x 120mm AK-183-L2B Akasa Amber Case Fan Akasa 8 Pin Extension cable
    Thermalright Ultra 120A & Ultra120 eXtreme 120mm Fan Wire Clips Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru-Kit
    Silverstone FP51B Black Transfer Bracket Acronis True Image Home 2009
    45cm Akasa Rounded Floppy Drive Cable Scan 3XS System - 1year Onsite Warranty (Mainland UK)
    Scan System Configuration

Thanks everyone,
    All the best.
    Mark

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: Buying my first scan 3xs system, advice?

If it's for gaming, i7 is quite a waste of money (Until the component prices start lowering to a normal price)
    Is gaming all you're going to be doing on it or other things?

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

It will be used mostly for gaming the only other things I would use it for is the general kind of stuff, word processing, spreadsheets, MP3's etc. Is i7 specific to say video editing or photoshop, something like that? Which I wouldn't really be doing?

This is all good stuff, as I say I am not much of a PC expert so your recommendations are going to be useful for me.

Thanks again,
    Mark

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Well if it's going to be used for those things a decent Core 2 system will be money well spent I think. i7 to Core 2 isn't what Core 2 was to Pentium 4 if you get what I mean. As in the jump in the performance isn't so great. There's a jump, but right now it's at a premium and that premium really speed your games up that much. It's only of use for people who do number crunching, video editing, and anything else that uses it to the max. If I were you I'd just get a nice Core 2 setup, with a nice case, adequate storage and decent graphics card.

Then as i7 comes down in price or you feel that your system can no longer cope with the games at decent framerates you can spend some of what you saved on upgrading etc.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • yupyupno's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Dominator 1600
      • Storage:
      • 300GB VelociRaptor + 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 280 SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 1000W
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch 1080p Toshiba XV505

Hi Mark, that system is pretty much exactly what i'm getting built now, i've just changed the motherboard, graphics card, case and cpu cooling to my own specs.

In my opinion that is a very solid system, i've bought mine primarily for gaming, and the fact that it is using the latest technology out there, gives you that little bit extra future proofing.

I'm well aware that in a year or a year and a half, our high end system will become mid range standard, but as a tech head/lover, you always want the best, and this is it right now

I know a decent core 2 quad will run todays games fine, but i feel you would have that sence of regret that you didn't upgrade to the highest available right now.

My total came to around £2200, so just wait to see what the Scan guys say.

I'd say go for it!

i'd personally change the 4870x2 for sli gtx 280's if you can afford it, i'm sure you'll be playing on a high resolution screen, 1900x1200? the 280's will power any game at that res and the 920 overclocked to 3.7ghz will not break a sweat!

NOT Banned
    Thanks

I'd change the 4870X2 too, but for the newer dual slot nvidia card if it's a decent price or just get a gtx285 for lower power consumption and possibly better overclocking on it.

Future proofing on your CPU, Mobo, and Graphics card is hopeless. Your PSU, storage, case and monitor won't decrease in value as quick.

In a years time you can just sell your CPU mobo and graphics card and get better ones (with what you've saved) and you'll have much better performance but still have spent less than the total i7 setup now.

Really for gaming you'll only get like maybe 10-20 fps more. If the fps you'll get (with the Core 2) is already over 60 you'll not notice much difference.

Like yupyupno says you might regret not getting the best, but you also might regret getting the best and realizing it doesn't perform that much better than the Core 2 setup (in games).

Thanks
    • Philipp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Impact
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550W RMX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" ROG Swift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 20Mb

Hi Mark,

Its good to hear you are considering a 3XS system,

I have had a look at the spec of the system and it appears to be spot on

With the amount of money your looking at spending, Core I7 is the way forward it makes much more sense.

Although the 1000W Corsair is over kill for the current set up its well worth keeping in the system, as if you ever wish to add another GPU everything else is in place.

If you need anything else just give me a shout

Jay
    Thanks

that is one hell of a system and after seeing the 3XS systems first hand they are fantastic!
    □ΞVΞ□

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi again everyone,

First things, first thanks to everyone who's responded. There must be a good community going on here? Quite often with forums you find your posts can be ignored but all the answers I've been given have been informative and constructive so thanks for that everyone.

I will certainly take away the points about the i7 and the dual cores, will have a bit more think about that one.

Reason I was responding back really was I was wondering if someone could be kind enough to explain the graphic cards to me at all? I must admit while making up the system I saw the Multi crossfire and multi GSI options available but did quite know what they were or how they are set up? Is it that 2 graphics cards working together to put it simply? I did wonder if I'd overkilled on the 1000w. For the 1000w Cosair to be of value would I need to select two graphics cards? Not sure how it works on the selection for getting the build.

Sorry for what may seem like stupid questions, I am a bit of novice when it comes to top drawer PC's. Glad you guys all seem to know what your talking about.

All the best,
    Mark

NOT Banned
    Thanks

The 1000w PSU's are overkill. The only thing they do have is those extra connectors you would need if you're going to run a tri/multi sli or crossfire/quadfire system. Really you're never going to be using up anything near 1000w. We used to think that 2 graphics cards = twice the speed but sadly it isn't. Scaling is better nowadays, the extra GPU might help a bit if you turn all the high effects on but I'd say it's a waste of power and having one powerful card rather than 2 makes for less mess inside the case and less chance of things to go wrong.

The questions aren't stupid at all, you just don't know that much

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi once again,

Just a quick question this time, I am pondering over the 3 different versions of windows vista. Does anyone know if there is a great difference? benefit? between the 3? I am talking Home, Premium and Ultimate. Keep looking and thinking the prices aren't that much different, and would be worthwhile taking the plunge to one of the higher versions?

Just a minor thing but I'd be interested in seeing what people have to say, I am still using an XP system so have no experience of vista at all.

Many thanks once again. I am starting to get a much clearer picture of what I want and need now

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Each one higher up has a few more features, remote desktop and domain access iirc, but I'm not all clued up on that. Don't forget Windows 7 is coming out soon.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • yupyupno's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Dominator 1600
      • Storage:
      • 300GB VelociRaptor + 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 280 SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 1000W
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch 1080p Toshiba XV505

Each version of windows has different features like moogle says, but if you are net savy, you'll find a way of unlocking all the features as they are all basically in vista, just locked out.

Home is the most basic, i'd recommend getting premium or ultimate, mybe ask in the software forum as you'd get better answers there.

In regards to the graphics card, what type of games do you play?

If its fps like far cry and crysis, either the 4870x2 or gtx 280 will run them decently, but the most important thing to remember is the minimum frame rate, its all good getting 120fps, but if it drops down to 25fps, then it can ruin your experience.

the reason why i'll have two gtx 280's is for the highest minimum frame rate

If your into things like world of warcraft, spore etc, the 4850 or gtx 260 even 9800gt wil run them more then well.

Try to build the pc to suit your needs, if you're not the type to drool over graphcs then pick a lower spec card.

If you can try to hold out a few more days before you place your order, new cards from nvidia are coming out that might make the current cards a bit cheaper

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks again for all the answer people, like I said getting a much clearer picture now.

As far the graphics cards go, I'm not really into the FPS games so can't see myself running too many of those. I am still tempted by the 1GB GTX280 though on the list. It's basically just so I can run The Sims 3 once it is released and I can't see that being as graphically pressing as most of the FPS.

I am just going to and have another fiddle about with the spec again after all the good advice I've been given and post it back up to see what people think. My order won't be going in for a week or two yet, the credit card bill from Christmas just came in today so have to deal with that before any outlay

yupyupno, it would be interesting to hear how you get on with your system once it arrives because the specs we chose are quite similar.

thanks for all your help moogle too, especially the windows 7 spanner in my works making me wonder if I should hold off lol

So many questions

Thanks yet again all

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yupyupno View Post
    In my opinion that is a very solid system, i've bought mine primarily for gaming, and the fact that it is using the latest technology out there, gives you that little bit extra future proofing.
    ditto

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Solo View Post
    thanks for all your help moogle too, especially the windows 7 spanner in my works making me wonder if I should hold off lol

So many questions

Thanks yet again all

Well just wanted you to know, before you fork out on a Vista licence

Perhaps an OEM one would be sufficient.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information