Thread: Beware!!! Seagate products!

Thanks

Beware!!! Seagate products!

Just wanted to let people know about my experiences with returning a product to Seagate.

I previously posted about this issue in this forum.

To cut a long story short: My Seagate drive failed about a year ago. I've been trying to get it replaced ever since, there was no warranty details available to the Seagate customer service teams about my drive. So my calls kept getting passed from one department to another. I've sent 10s of e-mails and made numerous phone calls, each one getting me the same response.

After refusing to back down I finally got an email address of a regional manager in Seagate. I sent her an e-mail with all the details of my drive including photographs of the label and the drive and my scan invoice.

Here is the reply I recieved from them:

"I can confirm to you that this drive is registered as missing in transit and as such Seagate will not be able to grant warranty on this drive"

Quite obviously I have never reported this drive as missing in transit (it would be pretty stupid of me to provide a photo of the label and a copy of my invoice if I had done so). So Seagate must mean that a delivery company, wholesaler or the point of sale had reported it as missing in transit or thier database is wrong.

So beware: Seagate can (and will) refuse to honour thier 5 year garuntee on products, even though you can show proof of purchase!

I actually took some legal advice after I recieved this reply. It seems that I have no rights to claim anything against Seagate, my case would be against Scan as the point of sale as the unit was not fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act. Thankfully Scan have agreed to RMA it (thanks Scan).

Quite obviously Seagate have lost me as a customer for life.

Thanks
    im sorry to say but yes you have no right to claim its scans fault. What Seagate said it was either stolen/lost in transit when it was leaving there warehouse or where ever they are packaged, and it was sold on illegally.

If Seagate are telling the truth there not doing nothing wrong. But if i was you I would get in contact with the (reatiller) Scan in your case and explain the situation and maybe they will replace it for you or get it sorted. But then again i doubt Scan deal with Seagate directlly they would deal with a whosaller who deal with all companies like Seagate,maxtor etc etc

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    I think Seagate have responded quite correctly if they believe the drive is suspect. If you have the receipt etc then get it back to Scan and see what they can do?

Thread Information